1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/7/24 8:55 a.m.

Kinda good/kinda bad that I'm on here. I fly by the seat of my pants a lot and was expecting I'd just load up the family on Monday and drive south. I actively avoid the news, so GRM is my one source of current events. Reading here about how popular the event is has confirmed that I will not be driving 4 hours one way and 13 hours back. We'll catch it next time around. Maybe the van AC will be working by then, too. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
4/7/24 9:37 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Looks like Niagara Falls is going to have full cloud cover now, so areas around Belleville ON and further north are going to get all of the traffic around here surprise

I started hearing on the radio a few weeks ago that a bunch of hotels that had rooms booked before they realized what was happening canceled those reservations and relisted the rooms at ridiculous prices.

I heard the mayor yesterday saying they had lot's plans for the day, and lot's of rooms still available. It would be nice if those D bag hotels sat empty.

Everything's such a big deal these days. We're supposed to have full coverage. I couldn't really care less.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
4/7/24 10:53 a.m.

A shocking amount of people started swarming into town yesterday. Joke might be on them, 50% chance of rain tomorrow, clouds just might obscure the entire thing. The city literally had to put up signs saying "do not stop your car in the road to look at the eclipse." We're not planning on leaving the house on Monday

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/7/24 11:27 a.m.

So Michigan, here.  Normally, the joke is what is the first day after two days of cloud/rain called?  Monday.  But now we have a perfect weekend and tomorrow is going to be cloudy.  Still have to head down to Ohio, and hope for the best.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/7/24 11:53 a.m.

The forecast is showing cloud cover over almost all of Ontario tomorrow surprise Right now the best bets are looking like Leamington or Long Point/Port Rowan...

nlevine
nlevine GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/7/24 8:03 p.m.

One of my favorite pages to follow on Facebook, the Bangor Maine Police Department, offered their guide to visiting the state for the eclipse: https://www.facebook.com/share/p/Z47rgst4x7nPLpwb/?

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
4/7/24 10:03 p.m.

Indiana is looking Great for tomorrow.  I'm really excited for it:

We're in the Green. .....

Sorry Texas.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/8/24 7:30 a.m.

I'm going to Florida today for a work trip. Take off at 1pm. Might see some might not. Who knows. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
4/8/24 7:31 a.m.

I posted a photo of me wearing my glasses and cat sleeping behind my head last night, a Star Wars friend commented he went to see 2017 and OMG THE TRAFFIC GETTING HOME.  He ended up staying overnight in Louisville after giving up.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/8/24 7:38 a.m.

I had tentative plans to head to upstate NY but the risk of clouds combined with the likely traffic returning home talked me out of it.  

I'll consider traveling to the next one... hopefully I'll be retired by then and I won't need to care so much how long it takes to get there or get home. 

XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/8/24 8:23 a.m.

I'm in the zone of totality. It was raining on my way to work, but traffic was way lighter than usual.  I guess everyone is already here or coming in the afternoon 🤷‍♂️.

Supposedly we'll be down to 50-60% cloud cover by afternoon.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
4/8/24 9:44 a.m.

Does this eclipse run rain or shine? laugh We won't have totality where I am, but it'll be close. However, cloud cover might interfere with viewing activities.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
4/8/24 9:49 a.m.

I was contemplating this name of a band

"Path of Totality"

featuring sunny rock with 3:48 of dark metal.

sevenracer
sevenracer HalfDork
4/8/24 10:30 a.m.

Wife and I traveled to Kerrville, TX for the eclipse.  Weather not looking to cooperate. But all good meet my sister and BIL here,  and having fun hanging out.

This is one of three locations that nasa is broadcasting from. Picture early this morning in  the park where they are set up:

j_tso
j_tso Dork
4/8/24 10:39 a.m.

Last I read Bill Nye was going to be in Fredericksburg, TX, not too far from Kerrville.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/8/24 10:57 a.m.

It's looking like an even bigger crapshoot in Ontario today. Driving to Port Stanley on the north shore of Lake Erie is too far for me, I'm thinking about taking a gamble at Sandbanks Provincial Park area...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/8/24 11:31 a.m.

Found out my sister is taking the train to Kingston to check it out. THat's smart. My mom also tells me I saw a total eclipse in 1979, which triggers some very vague memories.

We're going to get about 60% with clear skies, but I'm gonna be probably in meetings. Boo.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
4/8/24 11:35 a.m.

Checking in from central Indiana with current conditions.   

Looking good 

chandler
chandler MegaDork
4/8/24 12:25 p.m.

same here, NW Ohio

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
4/8/24 12:48 p.m.

We decided to drive a few miles to attend the viewing party at the church.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/8/24 12:53 p.m.

what is with all these people having the day off? Wife's school district is closed. Many people's plants/factories closed. And I"m still sitting here in a windowless concrete box inside a windowless concrete box.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
4/8/24 1:07 p.m.

I have my shade 13 set on super sensitive, I'm in the 96% zone.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/8/24 1:18 p.m.

Dayton, OH.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
4/8/24 1:22 p.m.
VolvoHeretic said:

Dayton, OH.

You traveled a good distance, didn't you?

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
4/8/24 1:23 p.m.

Relevant. Also, it's good for you. 

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DuWq8wUkQglMCd93pBD0AJEznaaLZdgS0yTFTjq9PPVhTPxEdaywMzSeRyJqRa6L