1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/8/24 1:28 p.m.
bobzilla said:

what is with all these people having the day off? Wife's school district is closed. Many people's plants/factories closed. And I"m still sitting here in a windowless concrete box inside a windowless concrete box.

Everybody should have brought a whoopee cushion to work and at the appropriate time, had an intestinal distress episode and gone home to change their clothing.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/8/24 1:29 p.m.

Just got to Grand Rapids, OH, and will stay here to view. High clouds, but we will see. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
4/8/24 1:30 p.m.
VolvoHeretic said:

Dayton, OH.

Me too.  :^)  have to decide front or backyard.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
4/8/24 1:33 p.m.

The wife and I drove less than an hour from Beaver Falls PA to Hermitage PA to be just on the edge of totality. We're currently sitting at a picnic table in a park eating our homemade lunch and enjoying the beautiful weather. Can't wait for the show.

Current view.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/8/24 1:34 p.m.
bobzilla said:

what is with all these people having the day off? Wife's school district is closed. Many people's plants/factories closed. And I"m still sitting here in a windowless concrete box inside a windowless concrete box.

It's a big deal to a lot of people. Especially kids- they should have to go outside to experience it. We had a partial one when I was in grade school and everyone was outside for the whole time. 

You should head out in 30 min or so. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/8/24 1:35 p.m.
bobzilla said:

It's screwy. It's too dangerous or something... I still don't get it.

I have a giant window, but I'm nowhere near the path this time. We were in 2017 and we had an eclipse party. It's great if you can see one.

Quasi and I will be driving through the path of totality during the totalitarian event. Dayton to Toledo. I hope people don't berkeley E36 M3 up too badly on 75 North.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/8/24 1:47 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

I'm sure people will be stopping. Be careful. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
4/8/24 1:59 p.m.

It's starting here. Just getting a bit of coverage. Only perceivable with the glasses on.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
4/8/24 2:03 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Quasi and I will be driving through the path of totality during the totalitarian event. Dayton to Toledo. I hope people don't berkeley E36 M3 up too badly on 75 North.

It's 75 north, it'll be messed up haha. Drive safe

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/8/24 2:07 p.m.
jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
4/8/24 2:09 p.m.

It's starting in western pa.

TheTallOne17
TheTallOne17 Reader
4/8/24 2:17 p.m.

Fort Worth 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
4/8/24 2:24 p.m.

They say to be careful - no glasses or you will burn your retinas out or something like that. 

Wonder if anybody has some retina burning stories from past eclipses or is it like eat you veggies or you'll get scurvy or like knock it off or you might rip your brothers arm out of the socket. 

TheTallOne17
TheTallOne17 Reader
4/8/24 2:26 p.m.

Getting closer

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/8/24 2:28 p.m.

That's full zoom, through eclipse glasses, held manually. At 232pm EST. Don't mind the tree branch.

Turns out I have an awesome view from my driveway in Smithton, PA, so we're staying here. We should see 96.7% coverage around 318pm. I've seen it starting, but there have been some fast moving clouds getting in the way so far.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/8/24 2:29 p.m.

We are cloudless but will only get about 70% coverage. Last time we got 100% coverage and 100% cloud cover. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
4/8/24 2:36 p.m.

Almost clear skies, just got off the phone with someone about the 944, and a camp chair in the backyard is perfect viewing. And no traffic after.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
4/8/24 2:36 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Driving to Port Stanley on the north shore of Lake Erie is too far for me, 

Sure but you could stop at mennomex for a burrito!

I'm a little north of port Dover and we're supposed to be in the zone, and it's Currently sunny

We are about 10 miles south of Cinci and I can tell the intensity of the sunlight is decreasing a bit. Looking out the windshield, looks like I just put on some mildly tinted shades.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/8/24 2:43 p.m.

This is the most we got in Southern California.  No noticeable darkening of sunlight.  Shot with a darkening filter and through a welding helmet set to 13 (got it down to 1/250).  Manual focus is required. 

TheTallOne17
TheTallOne17 Reader
4/8/24 2:44 p.m.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
4/8/24 2:44 p.m.

The chickens are acting weird. I've never seen them all bed down like this, in the middle of the day. Animals. 

sevenracer
sevenracer HalfDork
4/8/24 2:45 p.m.

Well, too many clouds to see the totality/corona here in Kerrville sad.  We did get a lot of good views before totality through gaps in clouds. 

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
4/8/24 2:48 p.m.

Me and my better half.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IK2gRXg6WcaM3ox53Np9vvyVdM7PLExBbgPgrApgtMOAgWDYmxoKaB1OK9k54ptN