ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
5/5/20 2:01 p.m.

My gutters were recently backed up, and have kind of bowed in one area.  The hangers in this area have deformed at the end, allowing for the gutter to flex/play an extra 1/4 of an inch or so.  I shall replace them.  

1) Is there anything special I need to consider here?  Are there special clips designed to help 'correct' a deformed gutter?

2) When attaching clips, what type of screw is recommended?  The screws used are very short self-tappers that bite through the flashing (?) into the board behind it, but not enough.  A couple of them have backed out and I'd like to replace them with longer ones.

)3 Do any gutter anti-leave/crap systems actually work?  The foam-insert one is most appealing to me because it seems easy to pop out and do a good cleaning, but should prevent stuff from clogging the downspout.  I may want to add a rainwater collection system hence that concern.

A pic of my gutters follows.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
5/5/20 2:38 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Aluminum gutters can and do deform when ladders Are set against them.  I used copper gutters with cast bronze hangers. Mega buck but durable. I can ( (or used to be able to do a chin up on them ) 

I'm going to use the foam inserts because nothing else will work with my rolled edges.  They only last at most a decade but they are cheap enough to toss and reinstall when they start to fail. 

The principle behind them is a few leaves  might  lay on top of the foam but as soon as a wind comes along they will blow out. 

I have cedar shakes so I won't have the sand issue from off the shingles but if you have enough drop in your gutters the sand is supposed to wash out.  

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
5/5/20 3:09 p.m.

8 years ago I hung these white ones. They have the leaf protectors and worked out fantastic. Have it all around the house . Love them. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
5/5/20 3:11 p.m.

Then on Sunday (3 days ago), I hung these for my sunroom in the back. I went with the brown colour. Took me 3 hours to do it 

given it rains in my area 6-8 days a year, they are pretty useless. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
5/5/20 6:01 p.m.

mr2s2000elise said:

8 years ago I hung these white ones. They have the leaf protectors and worked out fantastic. Have it all around the house . Love them. 

Reads further...

mr2s2000elise said:

given it rains in my area 6-8 days a year

Well E36 M3.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/6/20 3:55 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

My gutters were recently backed up, and have kind of bowed in one area.  The hangers in this area have deformed at the end, allowing for the gutter to flex/play an extra 1/4 of an inch or so.  I shall replace them.  

1) Is there anything special I need to consider here?  Are there special clips designed to help 'correct' a deformed gutter?

2) When attaching clips, what type of screw is recommended?  The screws used are very short self-tappers that bite through the flashing (?) into the board behind it, but not enough.  A couple of them have backed out and I'd like to replace them with longer ones.

)3 Do any gutter anti-leave/crap systems actually work?  The foam-insert one is most appealing to me because it seems easy to pop out and do a good cleaning, but should prevent stuff from clogging the downspout.  I may want to add a rainwater collection system hence that concern.

A pic of my gutters follows.

Might by a optical illusion, but it also looks like the gutter is drooping from the fascia board.  If it is, you will need either:

A) Longer gutter spikes that are threaded driven into the roof trusses.  (Has to be in the end of the truss, it will not hold long term driven just into the fascia board.)

B) Gutter Hanger with Screw that snap into the outer edge of the gutter and nail/screw on the top edge of the fascia board, under the edge of the roof.

But the general waviness is probably from ladders when the gutters are cleaned. (Or when lights were hung up...  Doh!)

Scott

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
5/6/20 5:03 p.m.

My gutters became loose after 20 years.  I put those hangers under B and they worked great.  

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
5/6/20 5:54 p.m.

Yes those are large breasted Angels cast bronze brackets holding up the copper gutters 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
5/6/20 7:04 p.m.

My dad's house was built in 1970 with galvanized steel gutters that we painted white.  Since I was the skinny kid I got to climb the stupid shakey wooden ladder to the second story and scrape and paint them.   Ten minutes after his house was built they invented extruded aluminum white gutters along with aluminum ladders. 

FINALLY my dad paid for new aluminum gutters on the second story but continued to paint the first level steel gutters since they can easily be reached with a 6' stepladder.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
5/6/20 10:15 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

My gutters became loose after 20 years.  I put those hangers under B and they worked great.  

Those seem simple enough.

FWIW, I don't think it is sagging away from the fascia, probably optical illusion.  Also, the lights aren't hung from the gutter (again, hard to tell in pic).

Its either from ladders, which would surprise me a bit, because it doesn't feel that weak, or from excess water.  Its bowed out right were the water was backing up and Im sure that has caused some deformation.  Hopefully new hangers will get it back in check.  They seem to be flowing well now.

I might give the foam stuff a try because I have nothing to lose.

Thanks.

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
5/7/20 6:48 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :  Is that your place? If so, wow, massive beam and stone construction, and excellent choice in gutter hangers.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/7/20 2:55 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Not "just" Angels.   laugh Nice!

Scott

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
5/8/20 1:09 a.m.

I bought all the material on line  Installed it myself and Had 5 extras to use as Coat hooks  for the same money zi was quoted for Aluminum seamless?  

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
5/8/20 1:11 a.m.
noddaz said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Scott

You don't think they make me a little,•••  err,  Pervy?   

dculberson (Forum Supporter)
dculberson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/8/20 6:03 a.m.

Do you know the website you got the gutters from?

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
5/8/20 6:40 a.m.
frenchyd said:
noddaz said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Scott

You don't think they make me a little,•••  err,  Pervy?   

Well, it's probably more than just the angels...lol.

Interested in the website as well, but more for the copper gutter than the angels. If anyone asks.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
5/8/20 9:52 a.m.

In reply to ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) :

For the copper gutters after I bought mine on line my local big box store ( Menards ) had them in their catalogs even lower priced.  They look identical.  Gutters only though. Not the rest of the cool stuff. Menards also had the foam off and on. Never when I was ready to buy though. 
The name of the place is Classic Gutter Probably dot com. Sorry,  away from home. It's in Michigan and I can't say enough good things about them. 
look all the way through their catalog. Some really clever pieces there. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
5/8/20 9:56 a.m.
dculberson (Forum Supporter) said:

Do you know the website you got the gutters from?

Classic gutters probably . Com something like that.  They are in Michigan. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
5/8/20 3:25 p.m.

canoe you

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
5/17/20 9:36 a.m.

Ok, so I got the hangers recommended earlier in the thread.  They are pretty robust compared to the existing ones.  I have a slight problem though.  The hole position vertically is slightly lower on the new hangers.  If I try and put them in the same spots as the old ones, the new hanger screw will walk into the old hole and push the hanger upward, out from under the top lip of the flashing.  Thats no good. 

I can install them next to the old ones, but when I remove the old ones it leaves a hole where the screw is, which I imagine is bad.  What do I do about this?

As I am writing this, I realize I can probably just leave all the old hangers in place and supplement with a new hanger, no?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
5/17/20 10:03 a.m.

Follow up.  Leaving the old hangers in place is extremely hard. 

Whats the usual workflow for this?  Loosen all the hangers, place all the new ones, then come back and screw them all in?

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
5/17/20 8:08 p.m.

Related:

I installed these gutter guards last fall after removing the cheap, expanded metal/mesh ones that let everything through. It's just thin aluminum, but they screw into the fascia board as well as the front edge of the gutter which adds a little strength and should prevent some of the distortion you're noticing from happening in the future. I've also been pleased with how well they keep things out of my gutters thus far. If you stand in my house immediately after a decent rainfall, you can hear water flowing through the gutters now. That never happened with the junky mesh gutter guards. Something like this might help strengthen your gutters and also reduce the need for frequent cleaning which is always nice because cleaning gutters sucks.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/18/20 4:49 p.m.

I made my own gutters for my last house. The house was logs and board and bat cedar so aluminum just looked wrong. I used ripsawn cedar planks and lined them with rubber pool liner. I made them double volume because British Columbia. They worked really well and it was a rewarding little project.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/17/23 9:01 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

Follow up.  Leaving the old hangers in place is extremely hard. 

Whats the usual workflow for this?  Loosen all the hangers, place all the new ones, then come back and screw them all in?

Since this got bumped I will update that I never made it past this stage.  I dont understand how to install the new hangers without taking the gutter completely off the house and starting over.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oyEThi3szC3XNZwMfeuUmwWzFCsuczXmMtvGnOm5felwbf5dAaz7Gpvj0ZJSiliC