1 2
Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
1/28/11 2:30 p.m.

Stop it. Just stop it. It isn't funny. Gary Larson cornered the market on left field, weirdo nerd comics.

This is brilliant. Funny and odd.

This is a sad, hollow attempt. Stop ridding Larson's coat tails. Some of us are old enough to remember when there were new Far Side comics to read. We haven't forgotten.

Now this is funny. If I was 5 years old. And had brain damage. I'd rather read Family Circus than these sad imitations.

Stop it.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
1/28/11 2:32 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: ....And had brain damage.... Stop it.

You know you posted the same image three times, right?

EDIT: Nice ninja edit.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Reader
1/28/11 2:37 p.m.

Still have a couple of Larson's coffee table books.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
1/28/11 2:39 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
Appleseed wrote: ....And had brain damage.... Stop it.
You know you posted the same image three times, right? EDIT: Nice ninja edit.

That's happened to me on a couple of posts. I need to hit the hotlink thread. My copy & paste skillz are lacking.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/28/11 2:45 p.m.

I like Dinosaur Comics

Without Larson to pave the way, and show people that it doesn't have to be Family Circle, Blondie, or Peanuts to be funny, such comics wouldn't exist.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
1/28/11 4:04 p.m.

Don't forget B. Kliban, who was a big influence on Gary Larson.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
1/28/11 5:26 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: Don't forget B. Kliban, who was a big influence on Gary Larson.

Kliban was great!

Oh, how I wish I could find and hotlink his "Making Nut Fudge" cartoon............

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/28/11 6:00 p.m.

Larson was the king, I hated to see 'The Far Side' go. We got this weird unfunny Bizarro strip in its place.

Har de har har. To Dan Piraro: I know Larson is a really hard act to follow and i don't envy you trying to live up to him. But if you have to add damn near a paragraph to explain the cartoon, it wasn't funny in the first place.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar HalfDork
1/28/11 7:22 p.m.

In college I sat in the back of Philosophy class and read this:

One morning I had to put my head down on the desk from bursting out in laughter. My friends thought I lost my mind. Or thought I was stoned.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
1/28/11 7:38 p.m.

I figured that this would be the topic for far side knock offs.
Knock off wheels on the british "far side" of the car.

Will
Will HalfDork
1/28/11 8:35 p.m.

Want good comics?

xkcd.com

theoatmeal.com

hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com

booksofadam.com

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
1/28/11 8:53 p.m.

Ewwwww... Family Circus

Way back when we still actually "pasted-up" newspaper pages, I used to threaten to edit that saccharine, cloying piece of banality and turn it into an x-rated version.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/28/11 8:55 p.m.

Lesley, someone beat you to it. Warning: NSFW or for kids. http://dfc.furr.org/

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
1/28/11 9:00 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: Lesley, someone beat you to it.

Of course. Rule 34 of the Internet strikes again!

I do like this one, though:

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/28/11 9:16 p.m.

Larson had it down to an artform on how to use the LEAST amount of words to make it funny.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
1/28/11 9:34 p.m.

Ain't no Family Circus improvements like Seanbaby's Family Circus improvements. [caution: swears]

And Margie and I spontaneously guffawed ourselves into jiggling masses at this one the other day. Honestly, I don't even remember what triggered it, but we simultaneously brain locked on this gem:

jg

grafmiata
grafmiata Dork
1/29/11 12:58 a.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: Ain't no Family Circus improvements like Seanbaby's Family Circus improvements. [caution: swears] And Margie and I spontaneously guffawed ourselves into jiggling masses at this one the other day. Honestly, I don't even remember what triggered it, but we simultaneously brain locked on this gem: jg

One of my all-time favorites, out of so many great ones that Larson came up with.

Since The Far Side" disappeared, the only strip I follow anymore is Get Fuzzy... Maybe it's because I grew up as a kid in a house full of Siamese cats.

thestig99
thestig99 Reader
1/29/11 7:41 a.m.

^There's a reason I named one of my cats Bucky. Actually suits him pretty well...

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/29/11 8:27 a.m.

The spiders and slide has the same theme as the frog and airplane: you just KNOW that frog was sitting in that pond going 'one day I am gonna catch one of those and never be hungry again'.

I like Non Sequitur too. Sometimes when he tries to be Larson he goofs badly but when he gets this kid rolling, she's great:

chknhwk
chknhwk Reader
1/29/11 9:48 a.m.

In reply to ZOO:

That reminds me of The Village in so many ways...

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
1/29/11 2:50 p.m.

Haahaaa... that reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaPepCVepCg

TuffWork
TuffWork New Reader
1/29/11 4:05 p.m.

Don't have time to read all these now as I'm out the door, but I did want to comment that somewhere around here I have The Farside Galleries 1 through either 4 or 5. BIG FAN!

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
11/28/11 8:39 a.m.

http://www.creators.com/a-note-from-gary-larson.html

I got a nice letter this weekend, and out of respect for creativity and copyright law, this thread is a little gutted.

The very nice lady said: Grassroots Motorsports http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/contact/TomH/ VIA: online webform Dear Mr. Heath, Creators Syndicate, an international newspaper syndicate, handles all reprint permissions requests for use of Gary Larson’s The Far Side® cartoons following guidelines long established by Mr. Larson and his company FarWorks, Inc. (copyright owner to all Far Side images). In short, we approve or disapprove requests to reproduce Mr. Larson's cartoons, and carefully monitor the ways in which they appear. We are writing on behalf of FarWorks, Inc. and Gary Larson about the seventeen The Far Side cartoons that appear on your website, http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/. The cartoons we are referencing can be found here: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/far-side-knockoffs/31278/page1/ FarWorks has a serious problem with unauthorized uses of The Far Side worldwide. As a result, it does not allow online publication of works from The Far Side. No matter how insignificant a few uses may seem, it still amounts to making versions of the cartoons available in digital form for anyone to download, which makes it virtually impossible for Mr. Larson to control future uses, something that is very important to him. Mr. Larson has tried to express his feelings about the digitization and reproduction of his cartoons online and why he asks that people not post his work on the Internet in an "open letter" he wrote some time ago. This letter is posted on our website (http://www.creators.com/a-note-from-gary-larson.html) and I have also included a copy of it here. We ask that you please read the letter from Mr. Larson below, and respect his wishes by removing the cartoons from your website. Many thanks in advance for your cooperation. Sincerely, Anica Wong Permissions Department Creators Syndicate 5777 W. Century Boulevard, Suite 700 Los Angeles, CA 90045
pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/28/11 9:09 a.m.

They asked nicely? Do it. How often does that happen? Consider me impressed!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
11/28/11 9:15 a.m.

Yeah, that was pretty nice. Sure beats the way the music business sends the FBI to arrest your kids for illegally downloading songs.

Hey, Gary Larson: if you are reading this, I'd still like to see new Far Sides.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Y5QKlXPjxtzFEVXh6jzOzNPMXzg17giWFARNhI4nfBtRvhzaBgB12XfJcZeNqlYN