1 2
SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
2/16/22 7:56 p.m.

No matter what you do, you are gonna have to remove and replace that. 

Me?  Once it was off, I'd be replacing with a new one.  NO WAY would I put the effort into that one.  I realize that may not be the GRM answer, but I don't like crawling under sinks.  As soon as the finish started corroding again the 2nd time (which might be within a month), I'd be completely discouraged.

It would be worth the money for a new faucet for me.

Then, I'd develop a routine that got that rinsed properly once or twice a week.  If she won't do it, I would follow behind her.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
2/16/22 8:00 p.m.

I'd put the cheapest plastic one I could find if something like that exists. Don't like how it looks? Guess you should have taken care of the last one then. 

again, easy for me to say, I get it. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/16/22 8:06 p.m.

What about some sort of high quality clear coat over a new one?   

I would suspect some sort of marine paint would be the best suggestion.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/16/22 8:07 p.m.
tuna55 said:  You're overlooking something important. Nobody cares if I am driven crazy. 

The old:

Mom's happy, everyone is happy.  Mom's unhappy, everyone is unhappy.

Dad's unhappy, nobody cares.  LOL

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/16/22 8:55 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:
tuna55 said:  You're overlooking something important. Nobody cares if I am driven crazy. 

The old:

Mom's happy, everyone is happy.  Mom's unhappy, everyone is unhappy.

Dad's unhappy, nobody cares.  LOL

Dad's unhappy, he gets read Psalm 118:24 sternly. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/16/22 8:56 p.m.
SV reX said:

No matter what you do, you are gonna have to remove and replace that. 

Me?  Once it was off, I'd be replacing with a new one.  NO WAY would I put the effort into that one.  I realize that may not be the GRM answer, but I don't like crawling under sinks.  As soon as the finish started corroding again the 2nd time (which might be within a month), I'd be completely discouraged.

It would be worth the money for a new faucet for me.

Then, I'd develop a routine that got that rinsed properly once or twice a week.  If she won't do it, I would follow behind her.

We have two of these in the bathroom and we're reeling from taxes this year, so I'm trying to stay cheap. If I wire wheel it off, what can I do next?

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/16/22 8:57 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

High quality marine epoxy paint or powder coating. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
2/16/22 11:18 p.m.
tuna55 said:

You mean like a child?

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
2/16/22 11:22 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Honestly, that corrosion is so bad that you might go through it with a wire wheel.

I guess any coating is better than none.  The best stuff will cost the most.  

You won't match the finish very well.  And it's not just the base plate.  You've got corrosion on other areas.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/16/22 11:23 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Makes you wonder how Job survived it all......

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/16/22 11:44 p.m.

Eastwood Chassis Black will be a pretty close match....

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/17/22 5:21 a.m.
SV reX said:
tuna55 said:

You mean like a child?

No, I read it to myself

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
2/17/22 6:23 a.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Ahh...

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
11/15/22 11:50 a.m.
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) said:

I would call Kohler customer service.

I have been amazed by their response to some of my customer's issues.  There is a reason to buy Kohler I guess.

A chance the faucet itself is brass.  and the base is steel...  Your base may be getting attacked by what we call "salt water termites."

Nailed it and I should have acted sooner. Two new faucets inbound, total cost $0.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
11/15/22 11:50 a.m.
tuna55 said:
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) said:

I would call Kohler customer service.

I have been amazed by their response to some of my customer's issues.  There is a reason to buy Kohler I guess.

A chance the faucet itself is brass.  and the base is steel...  Your base may be getting attacked by what we call "salt water termites."

I called, they were unhelpful. No warranty, no spare parts, uhhhh try rinsing with vinegar next time.

Thanks for trying though.

Must have gotten a different person than this time.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/15/22 12:24 p.m.

I replaced the two crappy double handled faucets in our house with new Delta swan necked double handled ones from Menards on sale for a very reasonable price, one in the kitchen sink and the other in the bathroom. These said Stainless Steel finish on the box and come with a lifetime warranty even including a stick on warranty tag to stick onto the cabinet door for future use. Within 1 year, they both were pitting everywhere and our city water is not all that bad. I have not replaced them because sink plumbing sucks and any replacement will just corrode again. I have been told that the name brand faucets you buy at a big box stores are NOT the same as you can buy through a plumbing supply store. They must skip half of the steps required to plate brass.

I have a 70 year old Delta single handled kitchen faucet at my cabin that used well water for many decades and the chrome has literally been scrubbed off of but there is absolutely no corrosion or pitting. Times have changed.

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) Reader
11/15/22 1:14 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

I installed a Moen faucet in our kitchen about 2 years ago. It is currently dripping and is corroding around the base. It's not nearly as bad as yours, but Moen is definitely not living up to that "buy it for life" tag line. 

Everything else in the house is made by Delta. They are at least 7 years old, probably closer to 20 when the house was built, but still look and function as new. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nJHWDnN4MwGQ17rSLdCpYDN7xJfJAxO2Pe4WNJCETqQ4a4vDKQkWVl63KuKBr18b