1 2 3 4
Capt Slow
Capt Slow HalfDork
12/14/09 4:23 p.m.

loony tunes

yes yes the cartoon was a lot older than the 80s but it was still on every Saturday morning in the 80s.

The scary thing is that this guy must have partially influenced my decision to become an aerospace engineer.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
12/14/09 4:57 p.m.
Capt Slow wrote: loony tunes yes yes the cartoon was a lot older than the 80s but it was still on every Saturday morning in the 80s. The scary thing is that this guy must have partially influenced my decision to become an aerospace engineer.

You don't work for Acme, do you?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/14/09 5:14 p.m.
Capt Slow wrote: loony tunes yes yes the cartoon was a lot older than the 80s but it was still on every Saturday morning in the 80s. The scary thing is that this guy must have partially influenced my decision to become an aerospace engineer.

What he said.

Errr except for the engineer part...

Second runner up is Tom and Jerry. Watched them all the time as a kid.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/14/09 5:46 p.m.

3rd runner up: Woody Woodpecker

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
12/14/09 6:05 p.m.

When I was a kid growing up in the 70's, I always knew that the cartoons were over on Saturday's when Fat Albert came on....usually followed by SoulTrain....

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid HalfDork
12/14/09 6:13 p.m.

mask was cool, gi joe, voltron was very cool along with robotech, jason and wheeled warriors i think, turbo teen who truned into a car. there was a cartoon based on the WWF also that was cool from the 80's.....

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
12/14/09 6:15 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote: whats fun is finding theme songs from your old cartoons in different languages! Gummi Bears in German http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YWh4ie_0RI Pinky and the Brain in Japanese http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aMtPnUh6lM Freakazoid in Russian (this one is quite special!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvoIcIYqp3g Animainiacs in French http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Diplkzn-oR8

The 90s cartoons were better than the 80s ones. The Warner Studio things like Pinky & Animaniacs were almost as good as the original Looney Tunes. I still think Freakazoid is one of the most overlooked pieces of animated genius ever. Cartoon Network's originals were (mostly) fantastic as well (Dexter's Lab, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Powerpuff Girls, Billy & Mandy), until the network decided they wanted to be Nick Jr. and killed them all off in favor of a bunch of juvenile crap (Squirrel Boy, Camp Lazlo, etc.).

Ironic thing is..CTN decided they want the older viewers back. But instead of making decent cartoons again, they tried to put on a lot of live action BMW E36. Ratings were dismal.

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
12/14/09 6:55 p.m.

Count me in for Voltron, Ghostbusters, and Darkwing Duck. I was 5 when the 80's ended, so I don't remember too many of the 80's cartoons. I remember watching a lot of the '90s cartoons like Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, The Tick, and Beavis and Butt-head (when I could sneak in a showing; my parents forbade me from watching it).

My favorite animated show of the '90s:

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
12/14/09 6:55 p.m.
Jensenman wrote: Sheesh. You kids. I grew up with Magilla Gorilla.

My childhood favorite just recently celebrated its 50th birthday.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
12/14/09 7:01 p.m.

Technically, it is a cartoon from the 80's

xd
xd New Reader
12/14/09 7:57 p.m.

FTW

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/14/09 8:16 p.m.

voltron

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
12/14/09 8:21 p.m.
  • eleventy billion on Loony Tunes. Any of them. Loved them all, from the Coyote to the Wabbit, to Foghorn Leghorn. Anyone ancient enough to remember Huckleberry Hound?
mndsm
mndsm Reader
12/14/09 8:23 p.m.

So, I was watching the Boomerang, and Thundarr the Barbarian came on.... I sat and watched two episodes, probably haven't seen one in 20+ years. God cartoons were better back then.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/14/09 8:33 p.m.
Lesley wrote: + eleventy billion on Loony Tunes. Any of them. Loved them all, from the Coyote to the Wabbit, to Foghorn Leghorn. Anyone ancient enough to remember Huckleberry Hound?

Absolutely!!

Get this, my kids when given the choice would rather watch the old Loony Tunes and Tom and Jerry than any of the new crap. Except for Avatar: The Last Air Bender. Even I like that one sometimes.

wherethefmi
wherethefmi Dork
12/14/09 9:28 p.m.

AND

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro HalfDork
12/14/09 9:52 p.m.

Robotix, Looney Tunes, TMNT, Ghostbusters.

Shawn

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
12/14/09 9:55 p.m.
Appleseed wrote:
neon4891 wrote: Duck Tails and Chip'n'Dales Rescue Rangers. Scored those on DVD at 1/2 off thrue the disney movie club
I think I peed my pants a little when Duck Tales came out. Remember Tailspin? Airplane theme and daily after school? Yes please!

Was that the one with the bear that flew the cargo plane?

I loved both of those shows.

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
12/14/09 10:22 p.m.

voltron was good but the all time greatest cartoon by far is Exosquad. Period. No question.

Except by my wife who keeps saying My Little Pony. But seriously; Exosquad.

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
12/14/09 10:25 p.m.

Crap. I wiki'ed it and it was from the 90's. I'll go with robotech.

mndsm
mndsm Reader
12/14/09 10:27 p.m.
Tommy Suddard wrote:
Appleseed wrote:
neon4891 wrote: Duck Tails and Chip'n'Dales Rescue Rangers. Scored those on DVD at 1/2 off thrue the disney movie club
I think I peed my pants a little when Duck Tales came out. Remember Tailspin? Airplane theme and daily after school? Yes please!
Was that the one with the bear that flew the cargo plane? I loved both of those shows.

That would be Talespin, whose characters borrowed heavily from The Jungle Book.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
12/14/09 10:38 p.m.
mndsm wrote: So, I was watching the Boomerang, and Thundarr the Barbarian came on.... I sat and watched two episodes, probably haven't seen one in 20+ years. God cartoons were better back then.

Funny you mention Boomerang. I was talking to some of my daughter's friends, and anyone rich enough for that cable package watches it a lot.

One of them even said, "..it's almost like having Cartoon Network back!.."

Sigh.

And yes, Thundarr rocks. Also, The Centurions are on before it right now..

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
12/15/09 8:25 a.m.

Throw all the other crap out. Ya just can't beat the Looney Tunes, particularly the Road Runner/ Wile E. Coyote episodes, 'violence' be damned.

For years, Wile E never said a word, then he got a voice. Usually when something like that hapens it screws up a character. In this case, if that was Mel Blanc then he captured Wile E's personality perfectly.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
12/15/09 8:39 a.m.
Lesley wrote: + eleventy billion on Loony Tunes. Any of them. Loved them all, from the Coyote to the Wabbit, to Foghorn Leghorn. Anyone ancient enough to remember Huckleberry Hound?

Oh yeah. How about Popeye? I could never figure why he and Brutus were fighting over such a skinny little girl as Olive Oyl.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
12/15/09 11:09 a.m.

Yeah--Looney Tunes was probably the most brilliant stuff ever made, cartoon-wise. A huge part of my sense of humor is a result of watching a TON of Looney Tunes when I was a kid.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8F5Am27lcLQPZ4zKXzgguYFGViEBwqNnhvXSIjLa1DRKUsFBZgXGqyX4YJrFTcle