1 2 3 4
Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
12/15/09 11:21 a.m.

Oh yes I remember Huckleberry Hound. Then there were Yogi and Boo Boo in Jellystone National Park.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Reader
12/15/09 11:38 a.m.

+1

• Mighty Orbots . . .
  • Transformers
  • GI Joe
  • Robotech (Macross)
  • Voltron (Lion and Vehicles)
Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/15/09 11:39 a.m.

Anyone remember Speed buggy? It was an orange Meyers Manx looking thing that talked, sort of. Had 3 or 4 characters who I can't remember the names of. Might be 70's stuff rebroadcasted in the 80's on USA Cartoon Express.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
12/15/09 11:40 a.m.

I couldn't stand Looney Tunes... still don't really care for it. Them, or Tom and Jerry.

I was a huge Transformers fan, G.I. Joe was a close second.

But the one I watched EVERY morning was Saber Rider: Saber Rider intro

mapper
mapper New Reader
12/15/09 11:52 a.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: Anyone remember Speed buggy? It was an orange Meyers Manx looking thing that talked, sort of. Had 3 or 4 characters who I can't remember the names of. Might be 70's stuff rebroadcasted in the 80's on USA Cartoon Express.

I remember that and it makes me think of Wonder Bug from the Sid and Marty Krofft Supershow. When I talk about Deidre Hall in Electra Woman and Dyna Girl, people give me strange looks.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
12/15/09 1:01 p.m.

thee once was a cartoon where a boy turned into a red ferrari looking sports car...his hands and feet turned into wheels, he fell fown and his body would morph into the chassis. It was awesome... and then he would go fight crime and it was boring, then he would morph again and it was awesome. Cant remember the name though

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
12/15/09 1:13 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: Anyone remember Speed buggy? It was an orange Meyers Manx looking thing that talked, sort of. Had 3 or 4 characters who I can't remember the names of. Might be 70's stuff rebroadcasted in the 80's on USA Cartoon Express.

Yeah, and it seemed kinda like a jumbled Scooby-Do... I think it even used the same voice actors.

4cylndrfury wrote: thee once was a cartoon where a boy turned into a red ferrari looking sports car...his hands and feet turned into wheels, he fell fown and his body would morph into the chassis. It was awesome... and then he would go fight crime and it was boring, then he would morph again and it was awesome. Cant remember the name though

I remember that one, but not the name of it.

EDIT: Found it! It was called "Turbo Teen": Youtube - Turbo Teen Intro

Matt B
Matt B Reader
12/15/09 7:46 p.m.
RexSeven wrote: My favorite animated show of the '90s:

AGREED!

As an animator, amateur film student, and all around Batman comic fan, I've got to say that not only were the plot lines and characterizations excellent, but its film-noir lighting and frame composition were second to none for the era (or ever since in a episodic animated format).

Strike_Zero wrote: - Mighty Orbots . . .

Awesome. Glad to know I wasn't the only one.

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
12/15/09 8:38 p.m.

Yeah, no kidding. Stylistically, Batman: The Animated Series has never been equaled.

mapper
mapper New Reader
12/15/09 8:59 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Yeah, no kidding. Stylistically, Batman: The Animated Series has never been equaled.

They started with a black background and airbrushed in a lot of the lighter areas and colors. Way different than most anything that had been done before. Learned about this back when I used to airbrush.

nervousdog
nervousdog New Reader
12/15/09 10:24 p.m.

Battle of the Planets rocked!

Opening credits

I also liked Tom and Jerry. Just the violent early years, not the later stuff where they were friends.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/15/09 11:20 p.m.

Here is my list, and yes, it dates me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apbjUvROsaU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqRxWAqnQ_g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chz8TnoznDc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8zT5T5_v2M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg_uD5n0TwU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WKJpftYdbM&feature=related

and who can forget Sid and Marty Krofft http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSKIuJWRMaI

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/16/09 12:24 a.m.

Duck Amuck may well be one of my high points of well-crafted comedy, and of a well-crafted short film of any kind. The voice acting and animation is spot on. The way it breaks the fourth (and even fifth) walls, and the way it uses its own medium in creative ways within the narrative. It ould only have been made by someone making his first animated feature and didn't know he wasn't allowed to do what he was doing, or by someone making their thousandth animated feature, and was just ready to shake up the squares a little.

As for Batman—Anythnig that Bruce Timm, Paul Dini, Mark Hamill, Arleen Sorkin, and a whole other who's who? list of actors from those projects that have continued on in the universe we;re been right there,

And, honestly, we don't get any DC Comics. We subscibe to Marvel on line, but al the DC we need we get from wherever Kevn Conroy is.

jg

driver109x
driver109x Reader
12/16/09 1:05 a.m.

Mazinger Z, Voltes V, Voltron, Macross/Robotech, Transformers, Gobots, Thundercats, GI Joe, Superfriends, He Man, She Ra, Space Race...

driver109x
driver109x Reader
12/16/09 1:17 a.m.

I Forgot the title but its about a ship (as in a large boat) in space with somekind of big arse weapon on the front that shoots out a huge laser beam.

Rufledt
Rufledt Reader
12/16/09 2:33 a.m.

Thundercats thundercats thundercats!!!

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
12/16/09 6:17 a.m.
driver109x wrote: I Forgot the title but its about a ship (as in a large boat) in space with somekind of big arse weapon on the front that shoots out a huge laser beam.

Could that be Space Battleship Yamato also known as Star Blazers?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
12/16/09 7:25 a.m.

Apparently I need to make a better case for Bakshi's Mighty Mouse, so, aside from the sheer weirdness of Bakshi doing a Saturday morning cartoon (who would have thought that would go wrong?) take a look at the sheer depth of talent who worked on the thing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mighty_Mouse:_The_New_Adventures

Matt B
Matt B Reader
12/16/09 8:19 a.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: Duck Amuck may well be one of my high points of well-crafted comedy, and of a well-crafted short film of any kind. . . . . . . It ould only have been made by someone making his first animated feature and didn't know he wasn't allowed to do what he was doing, or by someone making their thousandth animated feature, and was just ready to shake up the squares a little.

Man, great mention!

It was "the master", Chuck Jones working with screenwriter/storyboard artist Michael Maltese. IIRC he worked on a lot of Looney Tunes and other animated projects with Chuck. I'm not sure of the date of production in his career, but I don't think it was his first time around the block. I wish we had more animation directors (and supporting teams) like what Jones had built. Considering all the whizbang methods and technology we have today in animation, there are very few (or none) that have approached the level of execution those guys had back in the 40's.

Matt B
Matt B Reader
12/16/09 8:26 a.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: Apparently I need to make a better case for Bakshi's Mighty Mouse . . .

And I'm glad you did - I had no idea he or John Kricfalusi (Ren & Stimpy creator) worked on that cartoon. I think it slipped by me in my youth. Going to have to hunt down those episodes now. Wonder if Netflix may have them. Long shot I guess.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro HalfDork
12/16/09 9:13 a.m.

I must be the only one who thought Ren & Stimpy was plain awful.

Shawn

Tetzuoe
Tetzuoe Reader
12/16/09 10:25 a.m.

exo squad? anyone? anyone?

HunterJP
HunterJP GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/16/09 10:46 a.m.

Pink Panther, anyone?

Looney Tunes, G.I. Joe, Transformers, Mask, Tom & Jerry, Silver Hawk, ThunderCats, Popeye, Scooby Doo, Flintstones, Yogi, Bullwinkle Show..... Grew up with them all. But the one that I loved that was on during late HS, and early college, was Animaniacs.

Funny story, my step mother never understood why I watched Animaniacs. Told me I should be past cartoons. So, I made her sit down and watch an episode with me. Just happened to be the one where the three go to hell, and torment the devil. The Devil was telling them where they were, when Waco takes off running. Runs forever. Finally, ends up in a blizzard, packs up a snow ball, and runs back. Places it at the devils feet. It melts. Waco looks at the camera and says, "They're right. It didn't have a chance." She about fell over. Think she got it, then. :D

orphancars
orphancars New Reader
12/16/09 1:59 p.m.
JFX001 wrote: When I was a kid growing up in the 70's, I always knew that the cartoons were over on Saturday's when Fat Albert came on....usually followed by SoulTrain....

I say to myself, "this guy grew up near Cleveland".....then I check your profile and it says OH! I remember that as well...................

Remember Super Host, channel 43, Saturday afternoons?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
12/16/09 4:15 p.m.

I'm with Jensenman. I always thought stuff from the 80s to now sucked.

So who remembers Heckle and Jeckle? Dudly Do-right. Bullwinkle.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
phzGjCveBCUwkVT3ZEtlM8lImrAASGV1TQd1MFVN3sHAGA75OGDjqFG3QorHSLwO