1 2
Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/11/08 8:39 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: I've talked with one sister now. It seems he has had some personal issues since selling the Lotus (Lesson: Never sell your Lotus). I get the impression that he is a street person somewhere in the midwest. I have one more sister to track down.

So what you're saying is that homelessness begins with Lotus ownership?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
6/11/08 9:26 p.m.

I bet you're one of those "half empty" type of guys. I prefer to look at it as selling the Lotus lead to the homelessness (distraught from the complete inadequacy of all other vehicles as compared to a running Lotus), and not that the Lotus lead to the homelessness and substance abuse.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/11/08 9:37 p.m.

Let's not forget how long ago this lotus was sold...the guy probably thought "No problem, affordable, better sports cars are on the way! Just another trade-up!"

Aaaaand now he's a bum with just a big empty burning hole where his soul used to be.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
6/12/08 4:34 p.m.

OK, end run, or loophole, depending on how you look at it. After much discussion with the suspense title people, I found that on a car older than 25 years, you can register it as an antique, which has some limitations associated with it, like not your daily driver, no towing, original condition or some such, etc. Not a problem with a Europa. Antique registration only requires a bill of sale. You don't even need a title at all. My problem was that I was one transfer of ownership chain short on the original title. You do need insurance. Clicky clicky on the Geico web page. So, off with my paperwork back to the tax office, this time including my DD's registration and my new insurance card, they call Little Rock, they release the hold, I have plates. Title on the way.

Woodyhfd
6/13/08 7:35 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: I bet you're one of those "half empty" type of guys. I prefer to look at it as selling the Lotus lead to the homelessness (distraught from the complete inadequacy of all other vehicles as compared to a running Lotus), and not that the Lotus lead to the homelessness and substance abuse.

Actually, I'm more of a "garage is half empty" kind of guy.

Not that it is, of course. I have four cars stuffed into a three car garage and a truck outside.

...and I'm still looking for a Lotus.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
6/13/08 8:12 a.m.

You should have jumped on that CL Europa a couple weeks ago. A guy on the Yahoo Europa list bought it. Had like 3-4 engines and transmissions. One or two of the engines were a later model Renault with fuel injection. I'm Loti Poor right now, so I don't need another. The price of Elans has gone through the roof. Seven clones are still high, but available. Original Sevens are rare. Elite II's/Exiges are reasonable but "different." Europas are out there in garages in their natural state (blown motor, disassembled, last ran 15 years ago, etc.) You just have to jump on them when you find them.

CoryB
CoryB Reader
6/13/08 8:16 a.m.

So, if you can get a title from registering it as an antique, can you subsequently re-register it back as a conventional driver and get a regular title for it?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
6/13/08 8:27 a.m.

Yeah, I think that's the case. I specifically asked about if I was getting a "regular" title or what, and was told that it was a regular title, just off the BoS and not off the other title chain. Now, I don't know specifically because I haven't done that, and AR may treat it differently than a "regular" title, but I would venture to say that either way, selling it to someone in another state would result in a conventional driver title/plate, and most likely in AR as well.

One advantage to the Antique Vehicle plates/registration is that I DON"T HAVE TO BUY A TAG EVER AGAIN!! Woo Hoo!! The plate doesn't expire.

Woodyhfd
6/14/08 8:23 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: You should have jumped on that CL Europa a couple weeks ago. A guy on the Yahoo Europa list bought it. Had like 3-4 engines and transmissions. One or two of the engines were a later model Renault with fuel injection. I'm Loti Poor right now, so I don't need another. The price of Elans has gone through the roof. Seven clones are still high, but available. Original Sevens are rare. Elite II's/Exiges are reasonable but "different." Europas are out there in garages in their natural state (blown motor, disassembled, last ran 15 years ago, etc.) You just have to jump on them when you find them.

I really liked that car, but it was just a little too far away and I'm not sure how well I'd fit in an S2. Twin cams seem plentiful enough (relatively speaking) that I should be able to find one locally.

A few years ago, I spotted a Europa in a guys backyard while I was kayaking! I'm tempted to try and find it again, although I'd imagine that it's in horrible condition from sitting outside, near the water.

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
4/22/09 3:50 a.m.

Something is awry! Someone mentioned kayaking (similar to being in a canoe) and then the spammer posted. Is this bizarro GRM?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill HalfDork
4/22/09 7:43 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote:
Dr. Hess wrote: Well, the state has the title in their hands now. I'd just as soon do it proper. I've sued the state of Arkansas before for a title on the Locost. That's just how you do it here.
wow, never heard of that before. in MI currently and in MD from mid'70s to 1993, it went like this: walk into DMV / secretary of state with signed title. fill out form. give title and form to person behind counter. stand around for a while, get temporary title along with permanent plate and annual sticker. these processes never required leaving without some certificate of ownership. BOS is only used in MI to "prove" that the purchase price was less than book value, for purpose of reducing ownership transfer tax paid. hell, here in MI you don't even need a title, as long as the current-condition value of the vehicle is less than, iirc, $2500. i bought a corvair from CO, got a bill of sale but no title. called SOS office, found out what form to fill out and that i had to have an officer of the law verify the VIN on the vehicle, which i think they run to see if it's stolen. if it comes back clean, take the form signed by the cop to the SOS office and get title. a clean, unbranded title. no "rebuilt", no state issued VIN, etc.

It's not going to be like that in South Carolina.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2uaWJgCzX96MLScRsGxSyhbSWR1oZyNSoBU4681I6rwk38WKqFLfg7XrwVD2a9ZJ