1 2 3
mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/5/14 3:55 p.m.

Yeah, but it's gonna be cheaper to run an e30 than any of the other ones. I guess the REAL question is- A- who's bankrolling this project and B- what are THEY willing to let you have? Shopping for a BMW doesn't mean anything if your parents want you in a Volvo.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
8/5/14 3:56 p.m.

The only real differences between a 535is and a 535i is the 535is has a trunk spoiler and air dam on the outside, and sport seats inside. Mechanically they are the same.

An '02 isn't necessarily uncomfortable, but you're comparing a car designed in the 1960s to one designed in the 1980s...most of them don't have air conditioning or any power accessories, the horsehair stuffing in the seats is probably lumpy and worn out, and they're going to be slower and noisier than an e30 or e28.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
8/5/14 3:58 p.m.

The 535is is a 535i with nicer front seats and slightly firmer suspension. How well these 30-year-old cars have been taken care is a much better indicator of which will be the better daily driver.

What part of the country are you in? None of these cars will be good in snow without snow tires and a lot of patience with the throttle; they will all probably suck in summertime heat.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/5/14 4:06 p.m.

2002's rust very easily. They can be a lot of fun, but due to the rust, many are relegated to collector status or are on their way back to their elemental form. If you want something that is out of the ordinary and a bit "odd" and can work on old cars and deal with their "issues" then that could be a good choice.

The E30 is a favorite among racers, the 2.5L isn't a power house so it won't be a speed demon, but it can carry speed through corners quite well.

The E28/535 has a 3.5L inline 6 and can be a bit faster in a straight line. The Chassis isn't as well supported in the aftermarket compared to the E30, but it is a bit more refined and comfortable perhaps.

The "i" designation just designates that it has fuel injection.

The "s" designation designates that it has the Sport package.

So the 325is is a 3 series with a 2.5L engine, fuel injection and the sport package.

Some basic info on the 2002, E30 and E28:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_New_Class

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_3_Series_%28E30%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_E28

ToxicTurtl3
ToxicTurtl3 New Reader
8/5/14 4:18 p.m.

In reply to nderwater: I live up in Washington State on the pacific side of the Cascades and it doesn't get too snowy here about once a year we get one snow storm that lasts for about 5-7 days but that's about it. It also doesn't get too hot compaired to some places this year I think the hottest it got was about 90ish (which is hot I know). All of these cars would be great to have for a car in my opinion, but the one I really want ring now is the '76 2002 or '76 2002tii. I still have like a year and a half before I can actually drive so my mind might change, but u never no.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
8/5/14 4:37 p.m.

Already onto page 2 and no one said it? Are you guys slipping in your old age?

Miata.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/5/14 4:43 p.m.
failboat wrote: Already onto page 2 and no one said it? Are you guys slipping in your old age? Miata.

Well, he did ask about 3 cars specifically and while a Miata is one of the universal answers here, it didn't make much sense to bring it up since he wasn't soliciting input outside of his 3 initial candidates.

That said, I second the suggestion. Besides, girls think they are cute and that's a good thing. Cars that guys tend to think are cool can turn women off because it can seem like you're trying too hard. Jus sayin'

ToxicTurtl3
ToxicTurtl3 New Reader
8/5/14 10:10 p.m.

Im not ganna Drive a Mazda Miata -_- I would drive a VW bus though those are cool and i would be able to carry my friends around in it. once I get more money then i could start to upgrade parts and redo the interior and actually mack the car something worth driving and feel coolish driving it

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/5/14 11:05 p.m.

I see how this is gonna end up.....

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/6/14 8:25 a.m.
ToxicTurtl3 wrote: Im not ganna Drive a Mazda Miata -_- I would drive a VW bus though those are cool and i would be able to carry my friends around in it. once I get more money then i could start to upgrade parts and redo the interior and actually mack the car something worth driving and feel coolish driving it

You definitely don't want to drive a Miata. After all, who in their right mind would want to drive a small, balanced, rear wheel drive car with proven reliability and a strong pedigree in many forms of motorsports. Especially as their first car.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
8/6/14 8:28 a.m.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver UltraDork
8/6/14 9:12 a.m.
ToxicTurtl3 wrote: Im not ganna Drive a Mazda Miata -_- I would drive a VW bus though those are cool and i would be able to carry my friends around in it. once I get more money then i could start to upgrade parts and redo the interior and actually mack the car something worth driving and feel coolish driving it

If you're looking to "mack" a car, you, sir, are entirely on the wrong website.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
8/6/14 3:07 p.m.

As another choice, the early E36 325i is now a cheap, easy to work on, cheap to buy parts for choice. We bought this one for $1200 for my son's GF as her first car and it served her quite well, and she even learned how to work on it with a couple cheap repairs:

Not real fast, but much more modern than the E30 examples (and cheaper) so things like braking and safety features will be better. Rust won't really be an issue in the PNW. And easy to upgrade later to fun car status once you've learned how to drive (I'd suggest making sure your first car is good to go autocrossing and head out to learn how to drive with the Seattle area SCCA or BSCC. That'll do you mcuh better than having a car with a million airbags to protect you in case of accident).

Will
Will SuperDork
8/6/14 4:07 p.m.
nderwater wrote: 1st car - I crashed it 2nd car - I crashed it then my brother crashed it 3rd car - I crashed it 4th car - Was crashed from behind at a light 5th car - I crashed it 8th car - Sold it to my brother who crashed it

I'm sort of assuming that at least one burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/6/14 4:37 p.m.
Powar wrote:

Yup, I'm out.

ToxicTurtl3
ToxicTurtl3 New Reader
8/6/14 5:38 p.m.

Ok since the e10 is pretty much out of picture, what do u guys think about these two? The e28 so I could tote my friends around and it could be a track car if I wanted it to. The e36 cuz they are newer and and safer and cheaper than the e30. I could also turn the e36 into a track car also.

ryanty22
ryanty22 Dork
8/6/14 5:49 p.m.

I love the E28, My unicorn is a certain type of E28 even. Thats not the base for a track car from what Ive researched, its an extremely cool Daily Driver that you can make faster than normal with some decent handling. Find yourself an E30 or 36, AND trust GRM these people here hold more collective knowledge than Ive ever seen anywhere else with very little dickishness

ToxicTurtl3
ToxicTurtl3 New Reader
8/6/14 8:23 p.m.
ryanty22 wrote: I love the E28, My unicorn is a certain type of E28 even. Thats not the base for a track car from what Ive researched, its an extremely cool Daily Driver that you can make faster than normal with some decent handling. Find yourself an E30 or 36, AND trust GRM these people here hold more collective knowledge than Ive ever seen anywhere else with very little dickishness

how easy would it be to find an e30 m3 grand touring wagon or the e30 325i grand touring wagon? If i did find one how much would they most likely be? (if there is anyway to know that).

ToxicTurtl3
ToxicTurtl3 New Reader
8/6/14 8:36 p.m.

Damn I did some research on it and that badass car doesn't exist

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/6/14 9:16 p.m.

E30 m3 wagon is a poor choice. Miata is a great choice.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/6/14 9:47 p.m.
Chris_V wrote: As another choice, the early E36 325i is now a cheap, easy to work on, cheap to buy parts for choice. We bought this one for $1200 for my son's GF as her first car and it served her quite well, and she even learned how to work on it with a couple cheap repairs: Not real fast, but much more modern than the E30 examples (and cheaper) so things like braking and safety features will be better. Rust won't really be an issue in the PNW. And easy to upgrade later to fun car status once you've learned how to drive (I'd suggest making sure your first car is good to go autocrossing and head out to learn how to drive with the Seattle area SCCA or BSCC. That'll do you mcuh better than having a car with a million airbags to protect you in case of accident).

I'd second the E36. And for the record, someone crashed my first car for me. Still, we all walked away, and I was able to drive home.

ryanty22
ryanty22 Dork
8/6/14 11:02 p.m.
ToxicTurtl3 wrote:
ryanty22 wrote: I love the E28, My unicorn is a certain type of E28 even. Thats not the base for a track car from what Ive researched, its an extremely cool Daily Driver that you can make faster than normal with some decent handling. Find yourself an E30 or 36, AND trust GRM these people here hold more collective knowledge than Ive ever seen anywhere else with very little dickishness
how easy would it be to find an e30 m3 grand touring wagon or the e30 325i grand touring wagon? If i did find one how much would they most likely be? (if there is anyway to know that).

The E30 regular wagons aren't very common at all, finding one in a manual it would probably go for a premium price. I've been looking at that vintage bmw for a while now and only have seen 1 for sale. Extra clean and it was like 6 grand

ToxicTurtl3
ToxicTurtl3 New Reader
8/7/14 2:27 a.m.

Ok so the e36 325i is obviously newer and is going to be safer, but the e28 535i looks cooler and from everything that I have red is a really fun car to drive (I wouldn't really know if anything is fun to drive, I've never driven...). I also red that the e28's aren't very costly to maintain cuz they are mechanically sound. The e28 is also cheaper and easier to find in a running condition than the e36 on craigslist here. The car i really want is the 1988 M5 but that car is way out of my price range unfortunately.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
8/7/14 7:09 a.m.
ToxicTurtl3 wrote: Ok so the e36 325i is obviously newer and is going to be safer, but the e28 535i looks cooler and from everything that I have red is a really fun car to drive (I wouldn't really know if anything is fun to drive, I've never driven...). I also red that the e28's aren't very costly to maintain cuz they are mechanically sound. The e28 is also cheaper and easier to find in a running condition than the e36 on craigslist here. The car i really want is the 1988 M5 but that car is way out of my price range unfortunately.

What you need to do is actually look at cars in person. Go inspect a couple E28s and E36s in your price range and see what kind of condition of vehicle your money actually gets you. Bring a friend who knows how to inspect a car and what sort of things to look for.

I would expect your dollar to go further on an E36. Both the E28 and E36 are well built cars that will be enjoyable to drive, but you can expect the E28 to need more maintenance and have more troubles purely as a factor of age. You should be good with either as long as you inspect potential vehicles and buy the nicest example from your list rather than settling on one specific model.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
8/7/14 4:04 p.m.

out of the original list I would vote 325is....preferably 2 door.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
H0z0KOyOkoDkRdRAMOboEQ0ZzMIGp05dsdTUzqWiUCBEwlPJejAZuGqT1Bv6Uhk5