1 2
Conquest351
Conquest351 UltraDork
10/30/13 2:02 p.m.

No, it's not THAT fun cup... Gross.

It's this (http://www.funcup.co.uk/) Fun Cup! I want one so bad I can't stand it!!!!

PHeller
PHeller UberDork
10/30/13 2:06 p.m.

Are they real beetles?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/30/13 2:08 p.m.

Look too small to be Beetles. Maybe 1/2 or 3/4 scale.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/30/13 2:11 p.m.

http://www.funcup.co.uk/about-fun-cup/

funcup said: The Fun Cup endurance championship was launched in the UK in 2002, as a step forward in motorsport with the clearly defined objective of providing cost effective, close, exciting and above all, good fun racing for all competitors. The concept was originally conceived in Belgium, based on the success of endurance karting. As well as a Championship in the UK and Belgium, it also runs in France, Italy, Germany and Spain. From small beginnings, it has taken off to massive success with more than 160 cars on the grid for the Spa 25 hour race and regular grids, topping 30 cars in the UK. The cars are race designed, single-seaters, with super-strong space frame chassis. They are powered by an 1800cc, 130 bhp VW/Audi petrol engine, with the popular Sadev sequential gearbox. They all feature race brakes and fully adjustable suspension. All cars are identical in specification, with no-performance modifications. The championship consists of one class and a trophy is awarded to the top 3 teams after each race. The races are all endurance, between 4 and 8 hours in the UK, complete with pit stops and all the drama of such an event. Teams vary from 2 - 6 drivers in the UK and thanks to carefully formulated rules, however many in a team, your chance of success is exactly the same. So, with the car engines and gearboxes sealed and regulations strictly controlled, the racing is super close and the running costs remarkably low for this type of racing. In addition to selling cars, JPR Group (Fun Cup Organisers) also offer cars for hire. So, without the need to buy, you can rent one-off drives, a seat for a complete season, or a car for the season, including full circuit support. Tell us what you want and we will do our best to make it happen. All of this makes it easy to try out the championship and to enter the world of endurance racing. It is effortless to enjoy real, cost-effective motorsport with Fun Cup. Fun Cup receives widespread promotion, across a whole range of prime media from motorsport magazines through to daily newspapers, general interest magazines and also has TV coverage. The Championship is filmed at each UK event and Spa 25 hours, for Sky Sports "Raceworld" programme and Motors TV. Last season, we had over 40 hours of TV coverage and an end of year Season Review DVD. In addition, cameras are mounted in, or on, several cars, to capture on-track action during the race, which is brilliant for driver enjoyment and for the sponsors. Fun Cup also has its own hospitality awning, where teams/sponsors/family/friends/guests can enjoy lunch on race day and unlimited drinks for the entire event.
914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/30/13 2:14 p.m.

Not much stock VW left in there. Looks like fun though.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/30/13 2:38 p.m.

Why did they go with a Beetle of all bodies?

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
10/30/13 2:42 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Why did they go with a Beetle of all bodies?

Because Beetle Cool.

Javelin
10/30/13 2:43 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

No, not really...

Conquest351
Conquest351 UltraDork
10/30/13 3:01 p.m.

Dunno. From my understanding, there isn't any Beetle left. All tube chassis and adjustable suspension. I want one just to screw with peoples heads around here. Swap in a VW/Audi 2.0t in there and turn it up to 11 and have some fun!

turboswede
10/30/13 3:14 p.m.

Simply beause they are British and therefore could not bring themselves to build a series around a 2CV and they couldn't figure out how to get a Mini silhouette to leak oil appropriately?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/30/13 5:11 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

sorry, but beetles -are- cool

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
10/30/13 6:33 p.m.

so it's the British version of the Legends racers that we have here?

Javelin
10/30/13 6:54 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: In reply to Javelin: sorry, but beetles -are- cool

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
10/30/13 7:36 p.m.

I am not familiar with The Fun Cup.
Have you heard of Two Girls, One Cup?

Sultan
Sultan HalfDork
10/30/13 8:21 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: I am not familiar with The Fun Cup. Have you heard of Two Girls, One Cup?

DO NOT CLICK THIS LINK!!!!!

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/30/13 10:01 p.m.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
10/30/13 11:03 p.m.
turboswede wrote:
Simply beause they are British and therefore could not bring themselves to build a series around a 2CV and they couldn't figure out how to get a Mini silhouette to leak oil appropriately?

Nope, that's been done over there
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPvQ8zKreQ8

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/31/13 9:02 a.m.

Why would the Brits used a 2CV, that is a French car. I think a series wrapped around the Reliant Robin would be hilarious

turboswede
10/31/13 10:04 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: Why would the Brits used a 2CV, that is a French car. I think a series wrapped around the Reliant Robin would be hilarious

So a reverse LeMans start at each corner? The first one to get the car upright and moving gets the lead? The commentary would be hilarious. Sort of an automotive biathlon or upper crust twit of the year :)

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
10/31/13 10:08 a.m.

This has been going for years, not just in the UK but all over Europe. I think I've got an old CCC magazine with lot's of details and pictures, I'll see if I can find it this weekend and scan it.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
10/31/13 10:17 a.m.
novaderrik wrote: so it's the British version of the Legends racers that we have here?

Which is also a great idea.

turboswede
10/31/13 10:34 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: This has been going for years, not just in the UK but all over Europe. I think I've got an old CCC magazine with lot's of details and pictures, I'll see if I can find it this weekend and scan it.

Yeah mate, we're past the serious informational posts and into the joking and kidding phase.

Mmadness
Mmadness Reader
10/31/13 3:07 p.m.

It was in Car and Driver a few years back

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
10/31/13 3:21 p.m.
turboswede wrote: Yeah mate, we're past the serious informational posts and into the joking and kidding phase.

OK then, top these. And you lot thought Reliant Robin racing was just a joke

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/31/13 3:28 p.m.

^Saw that on Top Gear, it looks like SO MUCH FUN! I would totally do that.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FKLUfhfjTqir5T5N9KtfZ5pwBAnF8cVnh8kQgd1XSCAuANtXiZML3NlNGNiahFBx