1 ... 4 5 6 7 8
secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/3/24 1:31 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Looking for real-world updates on the GM 2.7T trucks, as AW has decided her next car will be a truck. She favors GM (sorry, Alfa), and puts a lot of weight on Consumer Reports.

Consumer Reports has lost their way.  They recommend appliances that cost a fortune and won't make it out of warranty (Samsung & LG tend to top their lists).  I can buy a much cheaper one and get that kind of performance for a lot less...

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/3/24 3:53 p.m.
NickD 

I had one a few months back that broke a timing chain at 14k miles while going down the road without warning. That was real strange, only damage was it pranged a few valves. No clue why the chain broke, but when I called it in to GM TAC, they didn't seem too shocked

Well, it a 4 or 6 cylinder GM product with a timing chain.  Or a belt.  Or gears.  Have they ever built one that was of decent quality?  Thinking back to the hollow rattle of an Iron Duke fiber timing gear.  Or pretty much any one since.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/3/24 4:06 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Looking for real-world updates on the GM 2.7T trucks, as AW has decided her next car will be a truck. She favors GM (sorry, Alfa), and puts a lot of weight on Consumer Reports.

I will say that at 72k Terry Crews Cab is still amazing.

If I were to not have this truck I would get the new Colorado Crew. Same engine, slightly smaller truck.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/1/24 3:21 p.m.

I'm keeping an eye on this, especially seeing how it seems lightly used pickups are the same price as new pickups.

I'd like a Colorado ZR2 for the lockers, but the tow rating down 1700 pounds on those from the Trail Boss and Z71. If I'm honest with myself, the things I've done with my 4Runner and trucks in the past haven't needed lockers, though they may have helped once or twice. 

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
4/1/24 3:31 p.m.

Well, if it helps we will be doing another Detroit to Gainesville run with an angry Corvair in tow. Hoping to get the same 17mpg average over the trip.

QuasiMofo (John Brown) said:

Well, if it helps we will be doing another Detroit to Gainesville run with an angry Corvair in tow. Hoping to get the same 17mpg average over the trip.

and i'm hoping to trade a couple MPG for a few MPH.  not that i don't love QuasiMofo, but man 70 vs 67 over 20 hrs saves almost an hour.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
4/1/24 5:12 p.m.

I'm thinking the cruise works at 75 as well devil

QuasiMofo (John Brown) said:

I'm thinking the cruise works at 75 as well devil

and so does my credit card!

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/2/24 10:34 p.m.

Carefully looking over the GMC and Chevy websites and it appears you can get a fullsize, standard cab, short box again! (with the turbo 4 if thats what you want)

Now if they would just offer a manual trans......

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/2/24 11:02 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
NickD 

I had one a few months back that broke a timing chain at 14k miles while going down the road without warning. That was real strange, only damage was it pranged a few valves. No clue why the chain broke, but when I called it in to GM TAC, they didn't seem too shocked

Well, it a 4 or 6 cylinder GM product with a timing chain.  Or a belt.  Or gears.  Have they ever built one that was of decent quality?  Thinking back to the hollow rattle of an Iron Duke fiber timing gear.  Or pretty much any one since.

I have never seen any bottom end issues ever with the 2.2 pushrod engine.

Head gasket at 30k miles on nearly 100% of them, but never any cam drive issues.

It's a shame about the 2.2.  It has beautiful looking ports, and 44mm valves like VW 8v nerds would do unspeakable things to be able to get, and the performance aftermarket for them is nonexistent.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
4/3/24 9:18 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Used to be parts available for them, all the regulars made cams, the J body suppliers had pistons, and I think even stroker cranks. They did well enough in circle track racing before the 16V's were legal.

Many miles on a 2.4 TC, then 2.2 eco, and never had any issues with timing chains or gears.

Helo735
Helo735 New Reader
4/22/24 1:40 p.m.

So I figure I'll throw my two pennies into the well here. 

We bought a 2019 Silverado 2.7 Turbo at the end of 2020 with 16k miles on it. It was built how I wanted with the G80 Eaton Locker, tow package (minus the factory brake controller sadly), heated cloth, heated steering wheel. I wanted a 6.2L but didn't have 6.2 money. And I was scared to death of the 5.3L and their known issues. 

I changed the oil this past Saturday with it sitting at 87k miles. 

This truck has been driven across the bulk of the continental US no less than 10 times; from Ohio to Utah and back multiple times, Utah to California, Utah to Oregon, Oregon across Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota. I've driven it down the Vegas strip, and through downtown Los Angeles. I've visited the back gate of Area 51, driven through the deserts of Utah, Nevada, and Oregon. I've driven on the Oregon coast, and my crowning achievement: we drove it when we saw the Goonies house in Astoria. 

The only repair it has required was an Evap purge pump at 35k miles. I also did a Wynn's transmission service on it at 74k miles which solved 95% of the shifting issues it was having.

It could use brakes now; the rotors are warped. And I discovered when I looked in the owners manual that I should have put plugs in at 60K (I though it was 100k). 

Beyond that, the Silverado, and particularly the 2.7T has been absolutely outstanding. It has done everything I've asked of it. 

I currently work at a Ford dealer, and flirt every so often with the idea of replacing it with a new F150, but I just can't do it. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/22/24 2:42 p.m.

In reply to Helo735 :

You said you wanted a 6.2L GM, but you made the right choice with the 2.7L. We've had a run of 6.2Ls with very little mileage and wasted main crank bearings. I've heard from one source that they changed main bearing suppliers and that's the issue, and I've heard from another source that they had a batch of improperly ground crankshafts and that's the issue. Regardless, they blow up anywhere from 100 miles on the odometer to 10,000, with multiple destroyed main and rod bearings.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
4/22/24 4:38 p.m.

BTW the Angry Mofo Express trip was a 75mph trip from Canton, MI to Gainesville and back and averaged a tick under 15 after sitting in Post Eclipse-apocalytptic for hours. 

Still love it as well. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/22/24 4:54 p.m.

In reply to QuasiMofo (John Brown) :

none of these pix really tell how good a tow pig this truck is, so let me say this truck is a really good tow pig for what we were towing, and on the route we were traveling.  in steeper mountains, or with a heavier load, maybe i'd have a different opinion.  but in my book, this 2.7 Silverado is pretty friggin' sweet.

Helo735
Helo735 New Reader
4/22/24 8:39 p.m.
NickD said:

In reply to Helo735 :

You said you wanted a 6.2L GM, but you made the right choice with the 2.7L. We've had a run of 6.2Ls with very little mileage and wasted main crank bearings. I've heard from one source that they changed main bearing suppliers and that's the issue, and I've heard from another source that they had a batch of improperly ground crankshafts and that's the issue. Regardless, they blow up anywhere from 100 miles on the odometer to 10,000, with multiple destroyed main and rod bearings.

Yeah, I eventually found that out after the fact, and it made me even more satisfied with the 2.7T. I started in parts at a GM Dealer once we moved back to Ohio, before they moved me to our Ford store. In my 3 months there, we had three 6.2s come in locked up.

Helo735
Helo735 New Reader
4/23/24 12:55 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

I might be able to provide some insight on towing heavy on grades. 

I'll preface this with two complaints that I have about it when towing my camper: To my knowledge, there is no way to manually force an upshift when it wants to hang out in a lower gear on a flat grade. It does this often enough to annoy me, and I wish there was some way to change it. The second complaint I have is the crappy engine braking qualities of the 2.7L. It's inherent to the fact it's a 4cyl, but still irritating while towing a bit heavy down a grade. 

When we drove from Ohio to Utah, (first with the Camper, second with the Range Rover, then again later with our Chevy Aveo, we did so by way of the Eisenhower Pass in Colorado. I don't know exactly what the elevation gain is from Denver, but the pass is up over 11k feet.

The trip with the camper was tricky, but that was unrelated to the tow setup; we were traveling at the beginning of February 2021, and hit a massive snowstorm about halfway up the pass. I've got a lot of miles on the road, and I'll admit this was one of the more sketchy moments in my life. And we did it without chains. We eventually made it to the tunnel, the only thing of which I clearly remember was passing a semi in the tunnel, looking over, and watching his tire chains flailing like a mace and absolutely shredding the bottom rail of the trailer he was towing.

The next problem showed its ugly face on the other side of the pass, coming down the mountain; The electric brakes on my trailer, whether due to the cold, or being packed full of snow, went 100% lock whenever I simply touched the brake pedal enough to close the brake lamp circuit. I have a Curt Bluetooth Brake controller (which works amazingly, I might add) and even with the gain and sensitivity down as low as they would go, the brakes still locked up on the trailer. In an act of desparation, I tried turning the trailer brake gain to zero, which was a stupid idea on a snowy mountain pass, as the trailer then became a dead elephant, and immediately tried to jackknife me the second I hit the brakes in the truck. Eventually, I resorted to turning the gain back on low, and dragging the trailer like an anchor whenever I needed to slow down. Granted, traffic wasn't moving any more than 30-35mph, but it was still sketchy AF. Eventially, we got to where it leveled out, and stopped in Rifle, Colorado to camp in a Wal-Mart parking lot.

While in Utah, we decided that we were going to relocate there, and left the camper in long term storage. 

The second trip was in June of 2021 with the Range Rover on the U-Haul dolly (which was filled to the brim with belongings, as was the bed of the truck), I didn't have a problem going up the pass. The only issue I had coming down was that I got a brake overheat warning, as well as what felt like a reduction in power brake assist. The dolly did have surge brakes, so I wasn't too worried. We pulled over at a rest stop coming down and let things sit for a while. It did have to wind up at times, but there really was no lack of power, so I felt. 

As I stated before, we are by and large, very happy with the truck and engine. 

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
4/23/24 1:36 p.m.

Mine has the 4.10 locking axle, towing package and the OE brake controller. 

I agree on the inability to guide the gear as it's going up or down a grade. I have found that taking the cruise off and feathering the fuel will allow it to get you into gear slightly more consistently. 

We experienced one trailer brake oddity after loading up and heading back from the Challenge. It had never done it before, hasn't since the key was cycled, but in that portion of the drive the gain was set low and the trailer was grabbing like mad.

I am going to do a transmission service, diff service and brakes in the next 5k miles.

mnachandler02
mnachandler02 New Reader
6/2/24 9:24 p.m.

In reply to QuasiMofo (John Brown) : Hey QuasiMofo, a little off subject here but I've got a 2022 custom Trail Boss 2.7L. I'm curious about your prefab subwoofer box. Did you have it custom-made or order it Ready to go out of the box? I need Some real sound in this truck.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
6/8/24 2:14 p.m.

In reply to mnachandler02 :

Sorry that I didn't see this earlier!

This is the enclosure that I should have purchased, I chose the same design with 2 subs from a different supplier: 

Skar subwoofer box

And I have 2 of these subs installed the above box would require 4: 

CT Sounds 8" 

I am running a Trauma Car Audio amp that makes 1200w. With the 4 sub setup I would use this amp because I have a smaller version of it that does very well.

CT Sounds CT.2000.1D

I am considering selling my current setup if you are near Michigan. It is a perfect balance for the remainder of the stock stereo.

EricM
EricM UltraDork
6/9/24 10:01 a.m.

I just picked up an early 2022 ltd. It has the engine fron 2021, before the 2022 refresh and more boost turbo max.

I'll report back later as it only has 6K miles.

It does need a back ordered evap pump. I guess they all do, lol.

Pulls like a goat.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
6/9/24 1:56 p.m.

In reply to EricM :

Mine failed the day Angry and I got back from Florida last year. Took 9 months to get the new design.

EricM
EricM UltraDork
6/9/24 3:12 p.m.

In reply to QuasiMofo (John Brown) :

Golly! Well, here's to waiting for parts.

EricM
EricM UltraDork
7/1/24 4:04 p.m.

I had to go attend to some family things out of town.  The pump was in a week ago, so a two week wait for a back ordered part isn't too bad in my opinion.

Had it replaced today under warranty. 

With only about a little over a month of ownership, I am still really impressed with the truck.

engiekev
engiekev Dork
7/7/24 8:57 a.m.

Any updates from the grm 2.7 crew? 

I'm seriously considering a 2.7 trail boss, because the multimatic dssv shocks can easily be added to make this into a baby zr2 for nearly half the cost.  Yes, you will likely need an air bag or other rear suspension additive since the zr2 rear leafs are very soft for towing. I've driven the zr2 quite a bit and it's a fantastic vehicle, it rides amazing for a half ton truck, the shocks really do work.

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/85640298.html

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B6bDOvsTFTDBa0hQYKvINMHtyBfnMp9y4esnpB38BZWA5aW6ibGOSS2QYlAoAaBq