1 ... 10 11 12 13 14
drummerfromdefleopard
drummerfromdefleopard GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/5/15 8:08 a.m.

In reply to mattm:

Hey now, I would've made the condoms joke if it had happened in Essex, Dundalk or Middle River as well. Now you're stereotyping me.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
5/5/15 8:12 a.m.

In reply to mattm:

That is an excellent picture. You should post more often.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
5/5/15 8:52 a.m.

I was asked awhile ago, why I didn't obtain a CWP (friends from locale where obtaining gun are difficult). I said this:

Strike_Zero said: A black man with a concealed weapon creates potential problems that I don't want to deal with. When a LEO came to my house (due to Neighbor McBusybody not liking the Roach), and his first question is "Do you own these cars? If I run the VIN, are they going to come back stolen?" Or transporting a car for white female friend and we stop for coffee with a LEO driving up and asking "Are you alright ma'am? I wanted to make sure this n***er isn't bothering you." Do you serious think I'm going to place myself in a predicament where a firearm involved??

It's hard educating them, that as a black man, I don't have the luxury or freedom that they do. All the things that they are seeing in the media are "new" to them. If we visit a firearm store and if none the cashiers/associates treat me like buying customer, I leave and never return. Even after explaining the cashier's attitude he had when asked to view some handguns, their first response was, " . . . No way . . . That guy is nice, he just showed us like 2 or 3." They have seem to have forgotten I was standing right there when he helped them, but was reluctant to help me.

If I can‘t convince "non-racist" (sorry best term I can come with right now) that racism exists and how I am treated . . . Or even get them to acknowledge it . . . There is a long road ahead of us.

oldsaw
oldsaw UltimaDork
5/5/15 10:09 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: In reply to mattm: That is an excellent picture. You should post more often.

She looks a bit like the Baltimore City SA. There may be some fantasizing going on...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/5/15 10:28 a.m.
Strike_Zero wrote: I was asked awhile ago, why I didn't obtain a CWP (friends from locale where obtaining gun are difficult). I said this:
Strike_Zero said: A black man with a concealed weapon creates potential problems that I don't want to deal with. When a LEO came to my house (due to Neighbor McBusybody not liking the Roach), and his first question is "Do you own these cars? If I run the VIN, are they going to come back stolen?" Or transporting a car for white female friend and we stop for coffee with a LEO driving up and asking "Are you alright ma'am? I wanted to make sure this n***er isn't bothering you." Do you serious think I'm going to place myself in a predicament where a firearm involved??
It's hard educating them, that as a black man, I don't have the luxury or freedom that they do. All the things that they are seeing in the media are "new" to them. If we visit a firearm store and if none the cashiers/associates treat me like buying customer, I leave and never return. Even after explaining the cashier's attitude he had when asked to view some handguns, their first response was, " . . . No way . . . That guy is nice, he just showed us like 2 or 3." They have seem to have forgotten I was standing right there when he helped them, but was reluctant to help me. If I can‘t convince "non-racist" (sorry best term I can come with right now) that racism exists and how I am treated . . . Or even get them to acknowledge it . . . There is a long road ahead of us.

Sadly, those who are not racist themselves, may never see the problem because it never happened to them. It does not make them racist, it just makes them blind to the problem (I am not going to use the term ignorant due to it's less savory connotations). Until people see and experience what minorities go through on a day to day basis.. either in the hood or out, they will simply never learn about it

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
5/5/15 10:45 a.m.

I've conceded visiting certain places that have that "air".

The sad part? Since I no longer go with them, they took it personal, like I have something against hanging out with them

Sorry for the derail . . . I'll go back to lurking . . .

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/5/15 10:54 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: In reply to mattm: That is an excellent picture. You should post more often.

Right? I wish i could poop stools.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/5/15 11:22 a.m.
mad_machine wrote:
Strike_Zero wrote: I was asked awhile ago, why I didn't obtain a CWP (friends from locale where obtaining gun are difficult). I said this:
It's hard educating them, that as a black man, I don't have the luxury or freedom that they do. All the things that they are seeing in the media are "new" to them. If we visit a firearm store and if none the cashiers/associates treat me like buying customer, I leave and never return. Even after explaining the cashier's attitude he had when asked to view some handguns, their first response was, " . . . No way . . . That guy is nice, he just showed us like 2 or 3." They have seem to have forgotten I was standing right there when he helped them, but was reluctant to help me. If I can‘t convince "non-racist" (sorry best term I can come with right now) that racism exists and how I am treated . . . Or even get them to acknowledge it . . . There is a long road ahead of us.
Sadly, those who are not racist themselves, may never see the problem because it never happened to them. It does not make them racist, it just makes them blind to the problem (I am not going to use the term ignorant due to it's less savory connotations). Until people see and experience what minorities go through on a day to day basis.. either in the hood or out, they will simply never learn about it

(I am a suburban born and bred upper-middle class white guy living in a predominately white and asian area)

Reminds me of the time I went with my friend into a little diner, in the Chicago suburbs, and we got poor service from a place that I loved. As he said, the only black person in there before was Oprah on the TV.

I never went back.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
5/5/15 11:25 a.m.
mattm wrote: Obvious confirmation bias is obvious. That said, this kind of stuff has no place in this discussion. This would be the second time in this thread that I would ask for a link to suspect conclusions but I'm not even interested in asking for this one as it is so far beneath the level of discourse here I think we can all do without it. I would ask the poster to remove it as it contributes nothing to the discussion.

Ironically, said while re-posting the graphic so that, even if he removes it, it's still on the page in the discussion.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/5/15 12:44 p.m.

Last year when my wife and I were discussing adopting she said, "I want to adopt a blond hair blue eye girl". I replied, "you must really want me dead". Jokes of course

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/5/15 2:42 p.m.

I kind of know the feeling. Well, not really, because this is a light hearted tale: I was 19 and rehabbing a park district field house. There was a grocery store on the corner of California and 290, called Pop-In. This is in a black community in Chicago. I'm white.

The old man hands me a $20 and says to go get donuts for break. I walk in and bebop around looking for donuts. I notice that everyone, and I mean everyone is looking at me. Everything stopped. Hey why is everyone looking at me, I'm just-oh, E36 M3, I'm WHITE!

Nothing said, no problems. But I have a better appreciation what a black man might feel in a white community.

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
5/5/15 3:05 p.m.

It scares me to think how the right-wing crazies would react if you did.

yupididit wrote: Last year when my wife and I were discussing adopting she said, "I want to adopt a blond hair blue eye girl". I replied, "you must really want me dead". Jokes of course
drummerfromdefleopard
5/5/15 3:19 p.m.

In reply to yupididit:

I always kinda wanted Jay and Bounce to do that to poke fun at Brad and Angelina.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
5/5/15 3:53 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: I kind of know the feeling. Well, not really, because this is a light hearted tale: I was 19 and rehabbing a park district field house. There was a grocery store on the corner of California and 290, called Pop-In. This is in a black community in Chicago. I'm white. The old man hands me a $20 and says to go get donuts for break. I walk in and bebop around looking for donuts. I notice that everyone, and I mean everyone is looking at me. Everything stopped. Hey why is everyone looking at me, I'm just-oh, E36 M3, I'm WHITE! Nothing said, no problems. But I have a better appreciation what a black man might feel in a white community.

Pppfffffttttt. You ought to go into a black barber shop. I did one day doing a site reconaissance. Talk about a fish out of water!

tedium850
tedium850 New Reader
5/5/15 3:58 p.m.

I am white and not proud or ashamed of it, as I really didn't have any choice in the matter . I try my best to treat people as they deserve to be treated (or actually better) based on their actions. I have had many friends (and a couple relatives) that are black and seen them treated badly for no reason other than their skin color, which is horible. I wish there were a simple "solution", but I am afraid there is not an easy fix.

And on the flip side my friend almost egg it on...As my black friend, Italian friend, and I got to the most redneck bar in Nashville years ago. It was almost the movie sterotypical scene where the music stops and everyone looks at us as we walk through the door. To help egg it on at that time, we were even trying to talk one of the attractive white girls we worked with to walk in with him/us, but she chickened out at the last minute... At that time, there were almost weekly shootings at/around that bar... I think we have all been there at one time. Yep young and stupid. Thank God I made it through.

drummerfromdefleopard
5/5/15 3:58 p.m.

In reply to spitfirebill:

only the first 2 times you go, I used to get my head shaved at one weekly, with a straight razor (every other day I'd do it myself) once the clientele becomes comfortable around you, then you become assimilated and the curious questions start happening.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Reader
5/5/15 4:00 p.m.

In reply to mattm:

Honest discussion doesn't include posting the charts above without further detail. That isn't honest it is just cherry picking pictures that reinforce personal beliefs. Previous posters who's names rhyme with ronholm add details of a study that evidently shows that even black people in a certain county hate being around black people but he is not sure he can post a link. I'm not the one adding that type of crap to this thread but I am the one calling out that type of crap. As far as pictures, how about this...

I agree completely. We should have accurate information before we rush to judgement. Not partial, incomplete, or biased information. It's too bad the rioters didn't heed your advice.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
5/5/15 4:13 p.m.
drummerfromdefleopard wrote: In reply to spitfirebill: only the first 2 times you go, I used to get my head shaved at one weekly, with a straight razor (every other day I'd do it myself) once the clientele becomes comfortable around you, then you become assimilated and the curious questions start happening.

Years ago I used to do air sampling during asbestos abatement projects. At that time most of the abatement workers were black. I became good friends with all of them and never had a bad experience. I enjoyed the time, but do not want to go back. The things these guys would say about black life cannot be repeated by me today. I would be a "racist".

ronholm
ronholm Dork
5/6/15 6:51 p.m.
Boost_Crazy wrote: In reply to mattm:
Honest discussion doesn't include posting the charts above without further detail. That isn't honest it is just cherry picking pictures that reinforce personal beliefs. Previous posters who's names rhyme with ronholm add details of a study that evidently shows that even black people in a certain county hate being around black people but he is not sure he can post a link. I'm not the one adding that type of crap to this thread but I am the one calling out that type of crap. As far as pictures, how about this...
I agree completely. We should have accurate information before we rush to judgement. Not partial, incomplete, or biased information. It's too bad the rioters didn't heed your advice.

Matt... I am not going to be able to provide you the exact text of the common sense findings discovered in my county. I am happy to retract my statement if it doesn't meet your standards for what is acceptable within a discussion on an internet forum.

I would appreciate though if you quoted what I said more accurately, or at least didn't try to misrepresent what I said. I didn't say Black Cops "hated" to work in the hood, I simply said they were less likely to seek that kind of assignment. I also went on to mention they didn't generally work in the black cell blocks in the jail. (around here) It generally doesn't work out as well. In most Police depts I can assure you the lack of black officers in "black" neighborhoods isn't due to the lack of available black officers. It is because the black officers don't want to work there, and because a dept policy it tends to work out better that they don't anyway. It takes a very special person to seek out that kind of work everyday.

I am sure your town has some kind of Black FOP.. Stop in sometime and get to know who they are, and what they want out of your community, and what they are willing to give.

I will also add I can't forward the facts discovered locally because they are not 'popular' nor do they fit with the media narrative. Thus the people responsible for what they found out don't wish to share the 'news' as by definition it is 'controversial', and wasn't what the precious little researchers were hoping to find. This lines up with the "Cops pull a weapon on black guys first" type of studies. Those are always touted as some big proof of racism... Well.. That is until you find out the black cops were also EVEN more likely to draw (and shoot first) and when the "do gooder" champions of civil rights are put to the test.. They FAIL miserably.

Again this is all stuff you can find out pretty easily on your own by simply talking to people who actually work the jobs we are talking about instead of soaking of the media narrative, but apparently expectations of common sense and due diligence are out of line?

So... Let me help get you started.

Here is a study? This one of course set out to help continue to define a common narritive, and doesn't stray terribly far from that... But....

http://sociology.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/documents/student_papers/Gardner_Clark_BNBPolicing.pdf

Officer Brooks later shared her feelings on the police tactic of conducting more frequent stops and searches in “hot spots” – that is, areas with high or rapidly rising crime rates. The tactic momentarily lowers the standard of suspicion for cursory street investigations, increasing involuntary contact between residents and police and, in effect, asserting a strong police 20 presence in a given location. T.G.: Do you think using aggressive “stop and frisk” tactics in high-crime areas is an effective policing technique, or is it largely ineffective? Brooks: I think it’s an effective policing technique. . . . You mean just, you know, rolling up on folks, pullin’ them out? T.G.: Yeah. Brooks: A lot of the time it’s done for a show of force. That is a tactic. A show of force. You need to go out there and show folks that if you are going to be out here blatantly standing on this corner, we’ve got to roll up on you and shut it down. And sometimes you have to do that. You can only say no to drugs, say no to crime, say no to violence so many times. You can only roll past the block so many times before you have to step up the game. . . . I flipped the script, huh? [laughs] . . . I mean, it’s the truth. If you do not want your new Nikes to be scuffed, then you go in the house or go somewhere else. . . . Just because you have this goal in mind of making all this money, the rest of the community is held hostage by you and your rivals. . . . What about the little old ladies and the little kids and the regular families who are living here whose house you’re standing in front of?

when you read studies like this.. Please be sure and note.. Because my friends around here sure do.. They get tired of the "you ain't one of us bro" routine.. So they work to get entirely out of the 'black' neighborhoods..

And besides that... The diversity of the officers doesn't make a damn bit of difference anyway.

http://jamelle.me/19AwW

More specifically, this study examined the influence of minority and female representation within large municipal police agencies on police-caused homicides. Thefindings show that more diversified departments do not have significantly lower levels ofpolice-caused homicides
ronholm
ronholm Dork
5/6/15 7:06 p.m.

http://scholarlycommons.law.northwestern.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=7244&context=jclc

Minority officers have long believed that they do, in fact, have these special competencies.2 ' But the quantitative evidence on this score is actually quite conflicting. There are studies finding that black officers shoot just as often as white officers; 26 that black officers arrest just as often as white officers; 27 that black officers are often prejudiced against black citizens; 28 that black officers get less cooperation than white officers from black citizens; 29 and that black officers are just as likely, or even more likely, to elicit citizen complaints and to be the subject of disciplinary actions.

http://www.uncfsu.edu/Documents/Criminal-Justice/Brown2.pdf

Findings suggest that officer race has direct influence on arrest outcomes and there are substantive differences between White and Black officers in the decision to arrest. In general, White officers in our study were more likely to arrest suspects than Black officers, but Black suspects were more likely to be arrested when the decision maker was a Black officer

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
5/7/15 9:23 a.m.

This just a rally but this a protest.

Many (not all) subscribe to:

• Rally: A gathering to support a common (good) cause (Rally the troops; Football rally)
  • Protest: A gathering to show lack of support for what someone has done (Protest against the war; Protest a tax hike)

But going bit farther, some say a protest can turn violent . . . So protests are bad (I'm simplifying here).

So the question remains (based on the pictures/links) supplied, why are they labelled as such when they don't fit to the most subscribed definition?

Aren't the Open Carry ralliers showing their lack of support the changes in gun laws? Aren't the "Lives Matter" protesters showing support that lives matter?

Why are the Open Carry folks with weapons slung is a rally (good connotation), but "Lives Matter" folks protest with signs and berk the police shirts is a protest (bad connotation)?

[Aside]

So what about sports fans rallying after a win/lost that turned violent and the destruction of property occurred? How about Pumpkin Festival that turned into a riot because people got too drunk?

[/Aside]

I understand the the media should wear the blame, but that does not absolves us from not attempting correcting others. When one of my friends that doesn't quite understand (I mentioned in previous post), I attempt to educate them.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/7/15 9:35 a.m.

In reply to Strike_Zero:

I would say on the one hand, open carry, the people are trying to rally support for their cause. On the other hand, lives matter, they are protesting the treatment of a person by the government.

In many cases, they are both full of BS.

Open carry of a AR-15 is stupid. Try a pistol in a proper holster instead.

Lives matter, starts at home with the parents, long before the government gets involved. My father taught me to not berk with the police. Be respectful, keep your mouth shut other than to ask for your attorney, do what you are told. It's worked so far.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
5/7/15 10:13 a.m.

Wouldn't lives matter people be rally support for their cause? I mean, lives do matter, don't they??

My parents taught me the same thing . . . But that still didn't help in being stopped and held by the LEO for leaving Burger King or other crazy run ins with them by doing a normal person routine.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/7/15 10:26 a.m.

In reply to Strike_Zero:

The anger was clear; a community that feels they only have a voice when tragedy strikes. Baltimore.

Some drivers headed down Eighth Street or Interstate 35 frontage road honked in support. Others yelled in opposition. One biker made an obscene gesture to the crowd as he drove by. To each, the ralliers waved. “We’re nice guys, and we’re not going away,” Austin resident Ryan Jones said.

Maybe it's the tone of the event. Proteste = angry and demanding change and answers. Rallies = upbeat and asking for support.

Personally I think the protests direct their energy in the wrong directions.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
5/7/15 10:53 a.m.

And that's what I'm getting at . . .

When a few lives matter peeps gather in the same way as the open carry peeps, they are called protesters.

There was a lives matter event here in Cola in one of parks. It was music, speakers, people from the community, LEOs, local politicians, etc . . . It was pretty upbeat. I know I had a good time meeting with people from the community and officials to discuss issues that affect all of us . . .

And what was it called . . . A protest. Even though we specifically put rally in the title . . .

1 ... 10 11 12 13 14

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
l3wirVFj22em232CkoJuJipwnx7hurqPPo9d9KyJiU3VnLMwAoo3nefSO5I4yp49