1 2 3
02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
4/6/16 8:01 a.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote:
02Pilot wrote: Turkish coffee is my preferred option - I'm actually finishing my second after-dinner cup right now. Very strong while preserving the flavor of the beans, yet rather low in caffeine (level of caffeine in coffee has little to do with the strength of the brew; much more important is how long the grounds have been exposed to hot water). Been drinking it since I was 10.
I've never tried Turkish coffee, but was kind of wondering about it - especially after seeing this thread and thinking it doesn't really need very much equipment to make it.

It's really easy to make. The only caveat is that you need the grounds to be extremely fine, almost the consistency of flour. The whole process happens quickly, especially in a small pot, so you have to watch it closely.

You will need a proper pot. A quick look at Amazon shows several options (search for "turkish coffee pot") that will work.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/6/16 8:18 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: Black coffee the night before from Mc Dees with cream and sugar on the side. Re heat coffee in microwave being careful not to boil it in the morning. Add condiments as needed.

Why do you hate yourself so much?

freestyle
freestyle Reader
4/6/16 8:19 a.m.

I've been using a manual Handpresso "espresso" maker with an simple electric in-cup water boiler. Not sure if it's the easy answer, but I'm into the morning ritual at home of making espresso. (insert hipster joke here) It does require specific coffee pods. It packs small but now I typically put it in checked baggage. The metal pipe profile and coiled wires make TSA curious. Then the form of the device and pumping action makes folks think it's a marital aid.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/6/16 8:57 a.m.
freestyle wrote: I've been using a manual Handpresso "espresso" maker with an simple electric in-cup water boiler. Not sure if it's the easy answer, but I'm into the morning ritual at home of making espresso. (insert hipster joke here) It does require specific coffee pods. It packs small but now I typically put it in checked baggage. The metal pipe profile and coiled wires make TSA curious. Then the form of the device and pumping action makes folks think it's a marital aid.

Thank you for posting that- I had no idea something like that existed. Way cool- http://www.handpresso.com/

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse SuperDork
4/6/16 11:51 a.m.

In reply to tuna55:

its not really an addiction. I can skip coffee in the morning and I feel OK. I just really like the warm beverage in the morning, it's comforting. We have a bi-weekly Wednesday morning meeting and I and a few of my co-workers have been meeting pre-meeting at a local coffeeshop. Makes the actual meeting much more tolerable.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/6/16 12:59 p.m.
Duke wrote:
dean1484 wrote: Black coffee the night before from Mc Dees with cream and sugar on the side. Re heat coffee in microwave being careful not to boil it in the morning. Add condiments as needed.
Why do you hate yourself so much?

Well it is better then freeze dried and it really is not bad at all. specially if you keep the cup in the fridge over night then re heat. I really can not tell the difference between the swill I get "fresh" or the re heated stuff.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
4/7/16 11:50 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:
1988RedT2 wrote:
tuna55 wrote: These are all fine solutions, but isn't the real GRM answer just to skip the coffee?
One does NOT simply "skip the coffee!"
When I was just a Tunakid myself, maybe 5 or 6, apparently the price of coffee spiked rather dramatically. TunaMom was going ballistic in the grocery store. My wonderfully innocent self said "Mom, just don't get coffee if it's too expensive". The world stood still for a moment, like something out of the Matrix, and then.
TunaMom said: NOT BUY COFFEE!?!?!?!
And I learned a valuable lesson. Do not get addicted to anything. Ever.

You may characterize my relationship with coffee as an "addiction" if you like, but I prefer to think of it as a dark, smoldering passion that will not be denied.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Pt9Y1r8EHXGOs2hBefKIvfnRQjSmAdhiNk2AQXpLdtcHLacH0Tfn73KnarzKiNuK