nokincy
nokincy Reader
6/26/15 4:38 p.m.

So today I picked up a 2007 Gary Fisher Tassajara disc mountain bike. It's replacing my old Trek 4300. It's nothing fancy, but the geometry suits me better and I would be more tempted to upgrade this frame in the future. I know there are some more on this forum that are into cycling and mountain biking.

My first upgrade is going to be to replace the saddle, the PO put on some awful gel thing.

What do you ride and where?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/26/15 5:08 p.m.

I ride a Rocky Mountain ETSX, circa 2007 or 2008 or so. I ride it on the mother trails - Grand Junction, Fruita, Moab. We have some of the best mountain biking in the world right here

I got (rebuilt) my first mountain bike in 1987 or so, and the Rocky Mountain is my fifth trail bike. I tend to keep them a while...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/26/15 5:12 p.m.

I have an older Trek OCLV 9800.. mostly on the road with some forest trails and fireroads. Not too many mountains here in South Jersey.

First thing I did.. replace the saddle, tyres, and add "bull bars" so I had more than one position to rest my hands

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/26/15 5:15 p.m.

I just got a 2005ish rockhopper.

nokincy
nokincy Reader
6/26/15 5:33 p.m.

Photos of the new bike

And my old trek

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/26/15 5:47 p.m.

I've got a old Trek I picked up this spring, but it's been so hot the last couple of weeks I haven't touched it.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
6/26/15 5:48 p.m.

I have a 1995 GT RTS-3. It doesn't get much more use these days than riding around the park with the kids but once upon a time I raced all over New England with Team Felini.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
6/26/15 6:05 p.m.

I rock a budget bike: a 2008ish Haro Flightline. Nothing too fancy, but more than enough bike for no more than I ride. I used to ride 2 or 3 times a week, but some knee problems limits how much I can tolerate anymore.

slowride
slowride HalfDork
6/26/15 6:51 p.m.

I have a KHS as seen here:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/bicycle-build-thread/100917/page1/

unfortunately it's been wet every weekend so I've only been out once this year. I'm primarily in Chicago but I also anticipate riding it in Colorado in the future.

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
6/26/15 6:54 p.m.

I have a 2002/3 Trek Liquid 20 that I am keeping alive. All my riding buddies are running some sort of $3K rigs with more suspension and half the weight. There is some envy when trail riding, but I'll still destroy them on the downhill.

Here is my attempt at spinal compression at Snow Summit Bike Park in Big Bear.-

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
6/26/15 6:55 p.m.

I have a 1992 Bianchi Opsrey. Did some off road stuff with it a while ago- but I made it more of a city bike a few years ago.

I did enjoy taking the bike off road- it was fun and light.

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/27/15 6:23 a.m.

Here's my Soma Groove.

Pictured with transporter because this is (mostly) a car forum. I'm fortunate that we have an 8+ mile trail system in the city limits, plus several others within a short drive away.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/27/15 7:12 a.m.

ok.. here is my Trek.. "parked" next to my old 318ti

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
6/27/15 7:56 a.m.

I have a 2012 Rockhopper. I did a 1x9 conversion with a OneUp 40t and picked up a set of quality wheels off CL and went tubeless.

I ride many places in middle/western NC.

impulsive
impulsive Reader
6/27/15 8:01 a.m.

97 Diamondback Zetec I've owned since new, probably put a million miles on it by now.

I have a trail spot within riding distance of my house complete with substantial homeless population and wandering hungry coyotes - definitely a thrill in the pre-dawn hours. It's lots of sharp jagged rocks and all steep ups and downs, kinda brutal and not much fun but berkeley if you can hang with that on a hardtail you end up being able to outride 95% of the weenie po$er$ on their full suspension rigs.

Now that overnight lows are hovering around 90 I parked the bike until fall but up to a few weeks ago I would do 8-10 mile rides 3 days a week.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
6/27/15 9:10 a.m.
Cone_Junkie wrote: Here is my attempt at spinal compression at Snow Summit Bike Park in Big Bear.-

Did you get your foot back on?

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
6/27/15 9:11 a.m.

My bicycle has cost more than every vehicle I've owned and some of those vehicles combined value.

Sad thing is, its still relatively low budget.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/27/15 11:13 a.m.

Used to ride Kona stuff a decade ago. Funny this came up, going to pick up another bike in the next week or 2.

Trying to weigh between a 2003ish North Face Denali (made by Iron Horse) or just jumping into something new and budget-y. Looking at the Gravity 27Five G2.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/27/15 11:40 a.m.

I have a few mtn bikes. I ride all over the mid-atlantic area.

My main trail bike is an 2015 Intense Carbine 275. This pic shows it right after I built it and was getting ready for the "citizen's DH race" at the Windham World Cup last year. It currently has a Thomson dropper post and a Race-Face narrow-wide front ring. And Crank Bros clipless pedals.

After doing the aforementioned race last year, I decided I really wanted a new DH bike, so this year I built this - a 2015 Intense 951 275. It's a beast. I've done one ride on it so far and hope to be ready to race at Windham again in August. The bike is way faster than I am...

The team/club I ride for has a grassroots sponsorship with Intense and Hayes Components, hence the frames and all of the Hayes, Manitou and Ringle bits. We also have a Thomson deal for posts and stems.

I also have a no-name Chinese carbon hardtail that will soon be replaced with another sponsor frame - a Vassago VerHauen steel hardtail. Also with various Hayes, Manitou, Ringle and Thomson bits. Pics of that will come when it gets built. I also have a few retired mtn bikes I haven't been able to part with: '97 Independent Fabrications steel hardtail, '98 Yeti Lawwill DH-6, '98 Santa Cruz Chameleon, '92 Cannondale Delta V 900.

All mtn bikes run Shimano drivetrains. All bikes have Selle Italia Flite saddles.

My road bike is an old '97 Colnago Master Bi-Titan with Campagnolo Record & Chorus bits.

nokincy
nokincy Reader
6/27/15 12:59 p.m.

Wow, there are more of you on here than I thought. I'm hoping to get out and ride today if it isn't too wet.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/27/15 1:23 p.m.

I love Cannondales, esepecially stuff from the early to mid 90's. I rode my M800 Beast of the East for many, many years, in spite of the fact that it was always one size too big for me. A couple years ago, I gave it to a young kid who was much bigger than me and looked like he could use a good first mountain bike.

photo Tools 003_zpsxb5edb1z.jpg

My current favorite is a Cannondale Rush Lefty in Badass Brown.

photo Steep Rock 012_zps8iu71vhl.jpg

I also have Cannondale Delta V that I set up for riding on frozen lakes in the winter.

photo 096_zpsc6b6df26.jpg

slowride
slowride HalfDork
6/27/15 2:20 p.m.

In reply to Swank Force One: Make sure you can get swingarm bearings for the Iron Horse before buying, some of them are scarce.

Also REI has some interesting somewhat budget brand now: Ghost.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Rw668da41kUGo7OYYjuBLfu4KvK2O02LsIObmbJmhaL0y2wrAfpBke7jmgR2Z5xJ