Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/14/16 7:40 p.m.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-LLV-Postal-Truck-/262384174712

We've talked about these a bunch. They never seem to go up for sale. This one is in York, PA.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
4/15/16 6:33 a.m.

In York, PA and a GM drivetrain.
I think we know a family there who could make this really "haul the mail"

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/16 6:36 a.m.

That looks like it would be an easy top to chop too.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/15/16 6:39 a.m.

Speedy Delivery!

I think Andrew would look great dressed as Mr McFeely.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
4/15/16 8:06 a.m.

I drive one of those every day at work and have for the last 8 years. They suck. Handling is horrible with a narrower front track than the rear. Power is nonexistent and hard braking is scary because there's almost no weight over the rear end.

I was doubtful about the claim of this truck never having been owned by the Post Office but looking close I see enough details in the pictures that it could be possible. The lack of updates that have been phased in over the years has me convinced that it could really be a real privately owned truck and not just one sold as surplus. I've never seen those windows in the back rollup door and I'm not sure if they have been added. They'd sure help with backing up as rear visibility sucks and the Post Office would rather pay out claims for running over people versus fitting back up alarms or cameras.

There's no way this will sell for close to challenge money. Too many potential delivery uses will keep the price high.

Any nonstandard parts for the LLV can probably be purchased from the same supplier that the USPS uses, Wheeler Brothers (wheelerfleet.com)

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/15/16 8:13 a.m.
jimbob_racing said: There's no way this will sell for close to challenge money. Too many potential delivery uses will keep the price high.

I was looking at the thread title thinking "who the hell would actually pay $5000 for one of these POSs." Never occurred to me someone might actually have a practical use for one.

slefain
slefain UberDork
4/15/16 9:13 a.m.
jimbob_racing wrote: Any nonstandard parts for the LLV can probably be purchased from the same supplier that the USPS uses, Wheeler Brothers (wheelerfleet.com)

NAPA has a bunch of LLV parts as well if you know your part number: http://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/search/?text=USPS+Vehicle+Maintenance

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
4/15/16 9:49 a.m.

I'm guessing it would fairly easy to tub the rear. With the narrow front track it seems like it ready for some little skinny drag tires up there.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/16 3:28 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Speedy Delivery! I think Andrew would look great dressed as Mr McFeely.

McFeely was my high school gym teacher's nickname. I'll be in my safe space.

Carlos DaSilva
Carlos DaSilva
4/29/20 6:54 a.m.

I had a contract with the Post office and was in charge of repairing over 300 LLV's. Contracts were all cancelled and I was stuck with a load of parts for these trucks That I paid for. I have held on to these parts for 10 years in hope of getting the contract back. Anyway I have quite a bit of hard to find parts just to name a few. All parts I have go to a 2.5 and 2.2 liter engine. Driver's seat, door window regulators, wiper motors and linkages, e brake handle and cables, right hand drive steering box, alternators and starters. A box full of vortex mirrors, lights switches etc etc. There is much much more. If there is anyone that could use these parts I am willing to let them all go super cheap.Call me any time at 804-651-3116.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
4/29/20 7:34 a.m.
Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
4/29/20 7:49 a.m.
jimbob_racing said:

I drive one of those every day at work and have for the last 8 years. They suck.

That's all I need to hear.  

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/29/20 12:08 p.m.

I hope a local brewery picked it up to do beer deliveries with after applying graphics. Had I know it was available prior to it selling, I would've picked it up for that purpose. Residental delivers don't need or require the standard truck. Mount up a few grand of coolers and be ready to roll. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/29/20 2:51 p.m.

No berkeleying way would I own one of those things. So agricultural they make a John Deere look like a Ferrari  

11GTCS
11GTCS Reader
4/29/20 8:32 p.m.

Whhhhuuuuh..... sqeeeeeeek....putt putt putt....whuuuuuuhhhh....squeeeeeek....putt putt putt putt .

Hasbro (Forum Supporter)
Hasbro (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/29/20 9:27 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:
jimbob_racing said:

I drive one of those every day at work and have for the last 8 years. They suck.

That's all I need to hear.  

I had one. They do suck but I had a lot of fun with mine.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3Wai7CXTs97hChQuyrntpMCSA3HhLGAFQEKrArnUGAa8fCpIWdEcyxJujqVtLB8K