1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17
aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
1/9/11 3:24 p.m.

Brad, there are three likely causes of you lack of traction

• Camber: Get rid of the camber on the rear wheels, it helps you a bit in turns but will kill acceleration traction

• LSD Setup: Go more aggressive, it helped me a lot. Mine is setup as 5 initial 55 Accel and 5 brake. The 55 Accel makes it almost a spool, but I don't notice any push in the corners.

• Light Foot: This is obvious of course. You need to be very gentile with the accelerator. Feed it in slowly, feed it in very slowly if you are turning at all. Knowing when the tires are spinning it crucial also. It can be hard to hear sometimes, so turning down the music and making sure you glance at the wheel status are useful.

From a dead start I usually go with a short stab in 1 st to spin and heat up the tires then quickly go to second with a light throttle. Over shifting can be very useful (hillbilly traction control), don't let the engine wind up in the lower gears. I can only use full throttle in 4th and 5th. You can almost drive most of the track in only 3rd or 4th gear without shifting.

I am running 2/7 F/R bars, 7/5 on the dampers (ext), and 6/5 brakes. I like the rear bar so that I get some over steer in the sweepers since I am used to that in my real car (although you need to stay aware of course). The dampers are to try and keep the rear end from coming around on turn in (I might play with this a bit). I used to run less rear brakes, but the LSD changed made braking much more controllable, so I decided to go with more brake and just control it with the pedal.

For braking I will usually go with 75% ish braking initial and back off at I get some sliding, tailing of the braking as the car get slow. I probably could drop the total braking a bit since I don't think I ever use 100%

P.S. I did get you message, but I don't check that email much, I need to change the target location for those.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
1/10/11 8:38 a.m.
aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
1/10/11 4:42 p.m.

I just checked, Toscana is indeed only dirt. Although dirt might be interesting, I think we should (as suggested) just skip ahead to Rome.

So next race is Rome, Tuesday at 6 (7,8,9) p.m.

Some notes on the course: It is rather narrow and has walls everywhere. Passing will be interesting and as will staying out of the walls. Having damage on will be essential though as it is is clear the fasted way around the course is bouncing off the walls. There is a hairpin that should be interesting and it is possible to drift around a lot of the course and make good time, although I wouldn't suggest it.

Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
1/10/11 8:35 p.m.

Gah things are heating up and I can't join back in until next tuesday!

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
1/11/11 10:31 a.m.

Tonight is race night.

I will try and open the room by 5:30 (6:30, 7:30, 8:30).

You WILL want to practice this course unless you want to be stopping in the pits each lap to repair damge. Interestingly my CM car seems to be easier to drive on this course than the GRM car... I think I need less rear bar in that car...

Visitors are welcome, just try not to get in the way of the league cars.

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/11/11 10:41 a.m.

Someone save the replay, I would like to watch the chaos...race!

Hate that I am missing this one, I have a lame work awards / team building dinner tonight. I am on the beach in Miami and haven't been outside for longer than 5 minutes. I hate conferences... death by PowerPoint.

ahutson03
ahutson03 New Reader
1/11/11 2:33 p.m.

I'll be on if i'm still awake... Duty last night with the 11pm to 5am watch is always killer... and I have two SU carbs sitting here that need rebuilding... oh well video games will probably trump responsible thinking once again... see you guys tonight

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
1/11/11 7:39 p.m.

Room is up:

1472-6681-3630-4567-5602

Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
1/11/11 10:05 p.m.

The spectate mode was kindof cool. Somehow I was hoping for more cool stuff but it worked well

Scott Lear
Scott Lear Production Editor
1/12/11 10:16 a.m.

Nuts, a vicious cold had me planted on a couch unable to participate. My mom always said she knew when I was really sick when I didn't want to play video games.

Next week, hopefully!

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
1/12/11 10:45 a.m.

OK, quick recap. I will try and get some pics up (I haven't tried that yet). Maybe pull some movies, but I am not sure if that is possible (?). It would be interesting to watch the first few laps of the second race:

Just me and Hutson for this one (looks like we may have few more next week).

The CM was a 550 hp Camero vs a 350hp 2002, so I toned my Camero down to 400 (it is heavier). Helped a bit but Hutson was having serious traction issues and it basically turned into a drifting competition. The walls also came into play with what I think was 5 pit stops between us in the first few laps. We played around a bit but the 2002 was to much of a handful, win goes to the Camero.

GRM was very interesting, two FD RX7's. I was a bit lazy on the start and Hutson pulled beside me on the start. Not having any interest in going into the first turn (which usually involved a fair amount of drifting) two wide on the outside of the turn, I backed off and pulled in behind.

That resulted in what could best be described as an almost perfect mirror race for about 6 laps. I was a very consistent 2.5 seconds behind him (although, by distance, it seemed a lot more like 1 second, not sure why the difference). That synchronicity ended when I got a bit too aggressive on the the back straight chicane (which resulted in 95% of all wall hits) tapping the wall and causing a pit stop. This was made worse by a rather strange pit exit on this course that will throw you into the wall if you are not paying attention (and I wasn't). A few more wall hits, strange back taxiing to the pits... anyway... the race was over when I hit the wall. Win to Hutson.

Next week could be a killer. LOTS of walls. Also a lot of SLOW turns, we probably want to reduce the laps for this one, we were turning almost 2 minute laps in GRM cars in a quick practice after the above race.

Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
1/12/11 1:02 p.m.

Yeah maybe slightly less laps would be nice, or it could just be a really careful race. There is the potential for near minute and a half lap times but a wall can jump in front of you really fast at that pace.

ahutson03
ahutson03 New Reader
1/12/11 6:08 p.m.

Yeah i'd like to see some replay footage of that second race or at least some pictures, that was fun

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
1/13/11 10:07 a.m.

OK, Here are the pics:

Near the start of the CM. As you can see the 2002 is sliding wildly (this continued for 23 laps )

Another shot of the 2002 sliding.

Start of the GRM race. As you can see the white FD pulls ahead, and stays there. Despite that ridiculous wing on the back of mine I was still having some high speed oversteer issues. GT5 does not have the aerodynamics adjustments that GT4 had for some reason.

A shot at the hairpin of the white FD over cooking it a bit (note heavy counter steer).

The races essentially came down to the fact that I had my CM well prepared and setup, while Hutson clearly had more time in his GRM car.

BradLTL
1/13/11 12:25 p.m.

Here are the standings after last night's race....

BradLTL
1/13/11 12:28 p.m.

Updated Admin Spreadsheet...

Please let me know if there are any errors!

Admin Spreadsheet

ahutson03
ahutson03 New Reader
1/13/11 3:28 p.m.

I wish I wasnt going to miss this week i'm starting to get into this

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
1/13/11 3:49 p.m.

Sometime you win just by showing up.

Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
1/13/11 4:10 p.m.

Yeah with small starting linups I bet someone could show up to each race, finish last, and still be high in the points standings.

BradLTL
1/14/11 11:45 a.m.

If we could get everyone who has shown up over the season to make the same race it would be awesome.

The good news is that, as you say, there still is the possibility to score and finish well.

I spent some time last night tweaking in my CM Mustang... again... on my private test track (course builder). I've managed to get it within 10% of my 1200hp Veyron's time around the course. It involved some the changes that you guys provided and a substantial change in driving style. I'm and now treating the car as a 3-speed using 3rd, 4th and 5th gears only. Hopefully the changes to car and driver will make for a more competitive race for me next week.

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
1/14/11 12:46 p.m.

Bring it on Mustang boy!!

This weekend I am going to see if I can YouTube some of the GRM action from last week.

BradLTL
1/14/11 1:28 p.m.

Remember that old arcade game Pole Position? That is what driving my Mustang is like... 4th is "Lo" and 5th is "Hi".

I would be interested to see the replay, or some of it. Do you have a video capture card, from what I understand that is the only current method to share video.

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
1/14/11 3:00 p.m.

No I don't.

I saw something in the video menu about export but doing a quick search says you can't. The save file seems to be rather big, so I don't think it is just a collection of data, but I we see what I can do.

Hocrest
Hocrest Reader
1/14/11 6:45 p.m.

Video camera in front of the TV??

thestig99
thestig99 New Reader
1/16/11 2:38 p.m.

Bought it last night. Maybe for next weeks race I'll be ready for you all to kick my ass :)

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5S6IwrwlIkzg9mXHrWRZdZJbn2sLfm5a7nGgDx9WHIEeVaBb3PcsK7pgG6PbRP0U