mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
7/24/13 12:14 p.m.

So, I'm researching a possible wheel bearing replacement on a Subaru, and there's quite a bit to remove to get to the bearings. Some of these tasks might be made easier with some special tools, particularly bearing pullers and separators, ball joint separators, and a press.

Harbor Freight sells all of these items. While browsing online, and comparing the outlay to parts and labor at a shop in my mind, I wondered, who else sells tools like this?

Sure, Wal-Mart sells air tools and compressors now relatively cheap, and Lowe's has introduced a Kobalt value line that will make you factor gas mileage into cost before driving to an HF, but who else sells these other things like those listed above? If I wanted a 12 ton press, and really didn't want to pay more than $100, much less $200+, where would I shop? Other than people like those who post on automotive forums, who else buys this stuff?

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/24/13 12:18 p.m.

I can't help you much, but if you do go the HF route, I'd highly recommend the 20 ton press instead of the 12 ton. It's not too much more money (I think I paid $160ish out the door after coupons), and it's actually decently solid, unlike the 12 ton, which doesn't give me warm & fuzzies...

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
7/24/13 12:18 p.m.

ACME tool? I don't know how many of them there are anymore, but there used to be one around here. Other than that- there's always the weird little sketchy tool stores, and some pawn shops that carry new HF level tools.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
7/24/13 12:23 p.m.

Northern Tool and Equipment is pretty close to being a step up from HF.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
7/24/13 12:24 p.m.

Oh, this was a rhetorical question, BTW. IF I do this myself, I'm absolutely going to HF for tools to make it as easy on myself as possible. I'm a 3 out of 5 level mechanic. Shop rate is expected in the 350-500 range, so there's plenty of room for tool shopping.

HF seems to have the market cornered for things like this.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
7/24/13 12:27 p.m.
RossD wrote: Northern Tool and Equipment is pretty close to being a setup from HF.

I had never heard of them, just looked them up. There are two near me, who knew? They also sell things like this, so I give props, plus 4/4 would recommend this to a friend, which is comforting.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200365305_200365305

Grizz
Grizz SuperDork
7/24/13 12:27 p.m.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
7/24/13 12:35 p.m.
mndsm wrote: ACME tool? I don't know how many of them there are anymore, but there used to be one around here. Other than that- there's always the weird little sketchy tool stores, and some pawn shops that carry new HF level tools.

I have never seen an ACME tool. Is Wile E. Coyote their mascot?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
7/24/13 12:48 p.m.

I'd put Northern Tools at a higher level than Harbor Freight, although they have been carrying more discount products in recent years I think in general their inventory is of better quality.

There's an Acme Tools in the Minneapolis area, but they're not a discount place as such - they cater to contractors with name brand tools. http://www.acmetools.com/

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
7/24/13 12:54 p.m.

I would avoid any of the stores that have just recently begun to sell cheap Chinese tools. Quality control is hard to manage. HF and Northern tool have been in the game longer and are better at selling stuff that at least isn't dead dead or broken straight out of the box.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
7/24/13 2:38 p.m.
mattmacklind wrote:
RossD wrote: Northern Tool and Equipment is pretty close to being a setup from HF.
I had never heard of them, just looked them up. There are two near me, who knew? They also sell things like this, so I give props, plus 4/4 would recommend this to a friend, which is comforting. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200365305_200365305

That would make a great garden hose nozzle!

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
7/24/13 2:49 p.m.

Tractor Supply has some stuff too.

I also recommend the 20 ton press over the 12.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
7/24/13 3:54 p.m.
RossD wrote: Northern Tool and Equipment is pretty close to being a step up from HF.

This. For a while, Nothern Tool had similar quality hand tools as HF but they have stepped their game up. When it comes to their haudralic stuff, I say it's about the same. Trailer supplies, HF can't come close to Northern Tool.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
7/24/13 4:00 p.m.

Amazon has tools now too, and just recently when I was sorely disappointed by HFs double flair tool, I picked up one from sears/craftsman for a reasonable price that worked great.

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi Reader
7/24/13 5:12 p.m.

I can agree on the 20 ton. The 12 ton worked on the bearings on my Subaru - but I used all 12 of 'em to do it. The 20-ton will give you a little extra capacity and confidence.

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/24/13 8:34 p.m.

If I may make a suggestion, I have found that there is a better tool than a press to change wheel bearings on a subaru.

Look for the "fwd front bearing adaptor" at harbor freight. In my experience it makes changing wheel bearings much easier.

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
7/24/13 10:56 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: I'd put Northern Tools at a higher level than Harbor Freight, although they have been carrying more discount products in recent years I think in general their inventory is of better quality. There's an Acme Tools in the Minneapolis area, but they're not a discount place as such - they cater to contractors with name brand tools. http://www.acmetools.com/

i don't get the same chill up my spine when i walk into a Northern as when i walk into a Harbor Freight... Northern feels "right" to me... HF feels like i'm walking into a garage sale in a garbage dump.

jere
jere HalfDork
7/25/13 12:26 a.m.

I see more and more places selling discount tools, I bought my budget press from Summit racing. To do it over again I would hunt around on craigslist for a month. That or just take the hub to a shop and let them press the bearings in and out for $20. My press has paid for itself but it does take up a good amount of space in the garage.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/25/13 1:13 a.m.

Up here we have Princess Auto. They have been around since the 50's or earlier.

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/25/13 7:28 a.m.
RossD wrote:
mattmacklind wrote:
I had never heard of them, just looked them up. There are two near me, who knew? They also sell things like this, so I give props, plus 4/4 would recommend this to a friend, which is comforting. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200365305_200365305
That would make a great garden hose nozzle!

You win the internet today!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UberDork
7/25/13 7:32 a.m.

I would argue that H-F has no competition. They are the quintessential Chinese outlet store. Now we all know that Lowe's, H-D, Northern, and all the other stores that sell similar products are Chinese outlets also, but only H-F sells cheap E36 M3 for cheap E36 M3 prices. The other guys try to pass it off as quality merchandise.

jere
jere HalfDork
7/25/13 10:18 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2:

I would say for the most part that is true as far a the biggest concentration goes but Chinese stuff on ebay will trump HF a lot of times. There are deals here and there that do come up at other stores that will do the same. If you don't mind dealing with CL people there is a lot of HF to name brand stuff that pops up on CL for less that HF new.

Personally I like vintage/antique tools better made and cheaper, patience is the hard part.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
7/25/13 10:42 p.m.
bearmtnmartin wrote: Up here we have Princess Auto. They have been around since the 50's or earlier. http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/

Like harbor freight, but without all those annoying low prices. Princess auto is a joke.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UberDork
7/26/13 2:54 p.m.
jere wrote: In reply to 1988RedT2: Personally I like vintage/antique tools better made and cheaper, patience is the hard part.

Agreed! I didn't want to come off as some kind of H-F fanboy. I mean, I can't deny that I've bought stuff there, but if it's a tool I'm going to use more than once, I'll buy a nicer one.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XeKbWOq9sthmxslzqHYTqGFOcObmgdgKx88RoDhTVEUKJ8Kc5l3Mb1zCkKaEg2tX