Chesterfield
Chesterfield Reader
2/3/21 12:09 p.m.

I just finished wearing a 30-day heart monitor last month, and had my follow up on Monday.  My doctor after looking at my previous heart tests and monitor results wants to to do an implantable heart monitor. He said I might have it for up to 5 yrs.  I am looking for some insight from those who have experience living with the device. Thanks in advance.

WonkoTheSane (FS)
WonkoTheSane (FS) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/3/21 12:34 p.m.

Make sure you get one made after 1996 so you can plug an ELM327 into it and check the diagnostic data on Torque...  

I got nothin', good luck, though!

Chesterfield
Chesterfield Reader
2/3/21 12:44 p.m.

It would be fun to be able to check the live data with a phone app.

FieroReinke
FieroReinke New Reader
2/3/21 1:56 p.m.

my father has one.  downloads the data each night to his phone through an app and sends it to his doctor.  the only change he made was having the phone charge next to his bed at night.   Doctor only calls if the data doesn't look good.  He went in for a normal visit and the doc said the data always looks good.  Battery on the device should be good for about 5 years.  Unless they see something in the data, they will just let the battery go bad in 5 years and leave it in place and not put in a new one.  

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/3/21 2:18 p.m.

Hi Chesterfield,

I don't have any first-hand experience with one but I'm an engineer for one of the leading manufactures of them.

Here's the Users Manual for our Confirm Rx ICM (Insertable Cardiac Monitor).

If you're getting one of our devices, please feel free to PM me although the "Patient Education" tab in the above link pretty much covers everything.

FieroReike is spot on...our system is called Merlin and it's a slick, easy-peasy means of letting your doctor keep an eye on you remotely.

Take care,

Brett 

Chesterfield
Chesterfield Reader
2/3/21 2:47 p.m.

Fierorenke, Brett,

Thanks for the info.  My dr. gave me the basics on it, but I always like to keep myself well-informed. I have an autoimmune disease that has scarred a portion of the heart muscle, but it has not caused any real functional issues, yet. My dr. believes it is time to have regular monitoring, so we can act preventively if problems start to present.  He gave me option of skipping the monitor, and implanting a pacemaker/defib. He does not think we need be that extreme right now.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
2/3/21 3:16 p.m.

Does the monitor get implanted with the same method as a pacemaker? If so I'm told the procedure is a bit weird and it takes a while to get used to the new foreign thing in your body.

If I was in your shoes I'd definitely get the implanted monitor. Having worn the type where they shave you and then stick the monitor on you a few times I'd rather they just hide it under my skin.

RX Reven'
2/3/21 3:18 p.m.

In reply to Chesterfield :

Pacers and ICD implants are much more invasive as either a lead or an entire device (we make a tiny Pacer called Aveir that's about the size of a AAA battery) is affixed within a heart chamber.

ICM implants are just placed under the skin around your left pectoral muscle...hell, I could do it - hold my beer cheeky

Here's some ICM implant information

Chesterfield
Chesterfield Reader
2/3/21 4:58 p.m.

Yeah, the monitor is much less invasive procedure than the pacer/defib.  My dad had a defib then a pacer/ defib surgery. His first one was about the size of a deck of cards, and the battery had about a 5-7 yr lifespan. He had his for about 24yrs, so there were several battery/ unit replacements as the battery was integrated with the device. Each generation was smaller. The pacer/ defib is a lifetime commitment. I am okay with starting with just the monitor.

RX Reven'
2/3/21 8:49 p.m.

In reply to Chesterfield :

First, do whatever your doctor says.

Second, agreed, start with the monitor...you and your doctor will have a much better understanding of where you are within the disease progression and that will inform the next steps.

Basically, it'll do exactly what it was designed to do; "Confirm" your situation.

Lastly, we're doing better than 5-7 year battery life these days if you need a Pacer / ICD.

But, right here, right now, we're talking about an ICM implant and that means a local anesthesia, fairly quick outpatient procedure...low risk, low pain, low to non existent recovery period.

Good luck,

Brett

Chesterfield
Chesterfield Reader
2/3/21 10:40 p.m.

Thanks for all of your info and comments, Brett.  I plan on following my dr's advice. I am thankful that is much less invasive procedure with the monitor.  It is the best course action at this time.

Chesterfield, I've had a Medtronics LINQ inserted heart monitor for 2 years.  They told me 3 year battery life on this one.  Done under local, no soreness or other problems.  After the first couple of months I've completely forgotten about it.  I lean heavy boxes against it while carrying, etc.  When I'm bored I can feel to make sure it's still there.  It's about 2" long thin rectangle.  I can put my fingers on both of the long sides to "pinch/squeeze" it between my fingers, but it doesn't give any sort of feeling or pain, just weird.

It does not trigger at the airport, which was a big concern as a 150 segment per year flyer pre-covid.  I still walk through TSA just fine, although I do carry a card in my wallet to explain what it is, just in case.

As a scientist and overall data geek, it's disappointing because the signal goes to the Doc and they ain't sharing.  Pretty sure they don't want someone that is good with Excel or Minitab getting ahold of the data :-)   Same deal, we'll call you if we see something we don't like, and knock on Bondo I haven't received a call.  Just the insurance notice of the monthly monitoring fee, just like the alarm company......

There is a bedside device to download each night.  The most humorous part was at insertion, when they had to take the very-mouse looking thing and set it on my chest to pair with the monitor.  Two beeps and a green light and we were connected.

I have the option to have it removed when the battery dies, and it's a quicker procedure than the insertion.  I don't plan to do that - it's so unobtrusive that it's not worth the time to go have it removed.  They can get it next time they're in there for something else.  Kind of like "while I'm in there" mentality with engine or suspension work.

DM me if you want to talk on the phone

Bluetooth/Wifi is the wave of the future in medical.  There is a ton of work in medical wearables, with glucose monitoring being the most common now.  In the future, expect to get a care pack from your doctor to wear some sensors for a week and then have a tele-call and not even need to go into an office.  Your body will just transmit all of the data, real-time.

Chesterfield
Chesterfield Reader
2/4/21 2:30 p.m.

Glueguy,

Thanks for sharing your experiences.  The whole process was virtual with my 30 day monitor because of covid. The monitor and accessories were shipped to my house and I shipped them back at when it completed. Most of my drs appts have been virtual for the last year.  As science geek, it is disappointing that I can't watch the live data. My dr said the procedure last 5-10 minutes, and it would be quick recovery.

RX Reven'
2/4/21 3:06 p.m.

In reply to glueguy (Forum Supporter) :

There's a condition called twiddler's syndrome that can occur when a patient has a lead attached to a device (not the case with an ICM).

Image result for twiddler's syndrome

We don't want this.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FXlo14bVoN0qnV7xPZTZYer9RatKdwPW9kQF0crw9CkZdOgk1WD0GYhycizsuAI9