Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/11/24 8:59 a.m.

A manual I didn't know I needed: Hasselblad produced a manual for NASA astronauts on how to take good photos in space. (Hasselblad cameras were used to capture all those legendary photos from the moon.)

If the cover isn't already cool enough, you can check out the full manual in (free) pdf form here: https://www.ephotozine.com/article/take-a-look-at-a-nasa-astronaut-photography-manual-28030

I'd actually love to have a physical copy as a coffee table book.

Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
9/11/24 9:04 a.m.

That is sweet. I saw one of the cameras they took to space in the National Air and Space Museum of the Smithsonian Institution when I was in Washington D.C. a few weeks ago. 

Colin Wood
9/11/24 9:08 a.m.

In reply to Chris Tropea :

That is so cool. I'm glad it's behind glass because I'd be far too tempted to touch it.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/11/24 9:25 a.m.

Very cool and thanks for sharing. Last time I visited Kiwi, they had some Hasselblads in stock....

Colin Wood
9/11/24 9:39 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Once I get our family a new hauler and get that damned bamboo removed from behind my house, I'm going to start saving up for a Hasselblad (or at least some kind of medium format camera).

Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
9/11/24 10:18 a.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

I went down the path of researching medium format cameras and I found a few options that came in around $350 for a complete ready to shoot package. If I remember the names I can send the info over your way. 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/11/24 11:40 a.m.
Chris Tropea said:

That is sweet. I saw one of the cameras they took to space in the National Air and Space Museum of the Smithsonian Institution when I was in Washington D.C. a few weeks ago. 

Is that Velcro and duct tape I see stuck onto that camera? smiley

Colin Wood
9/11/24 11:59 a.m.

In reply to Chris Tropea :

Tempting, but I think my money is better spent elsewhere at the moment.

Some day...

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/11/24 12:05 p.m.

In reply to VolvoHeretic :

They use a lot of velcro to keep things from floating around.  Those also may have been to mount it places.  Not a lot of strength needed to keep something in place in zero gravity, but it also means you can't just set something down.

Colin Wood
9/11/24 12:16 p.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZrctvMh5KF8E97hBUEhwMJAhwJeXOfuDxgi5dtcpdK4XyuUx2qTr3vyRMV10oRRL