aussiesmg
aussiesmg PowerDork
6/28/12 11:37 a.m.

The latest court result is in.

And go,

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/28/12 11:39 a.m.

Well, I can't afford insurance so when they start to garnish my wages for it I'll lose my home. Thanks gov, I'll be healthy living in a ditch.

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
6/28/12 11:40 a.m.

http://www.scotusblog.com/cover-it-live/

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/scotus-health-care-ruling-reaction-cable-news-twitter/story?id=16670363#.T-yJD5EU1yI

PHeller
PHeller SuperDork
6/28/12 11:42 a.m.

It makes sense.

If you can't afford to pay for your health care, and by doing so you raise my costs, your not having health care has affected me.

So we've got a few options: - We can garnish your wages (provided you have a job) to cover the costs your heatlhcare, and you lose your house.

• We can throw you in jail for not paying your bill, and you'll lose your house.

• Doctors can provide their services for free, and they'd lose their house.

• We can let you die. You'd lose "use" of your house. But you can still haunt it if you'd like.

• We can have universal health care OH WAIT NO THATD BE TOO EASY

Now, the cost of care is still extraordinary, but thats another problem altogether. It would be very difficult for the government to put price caps on healthcare.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Dork
6/28/12 11:43 a.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: Well, I can't afford insurance so when they start to garnish my wages for it I'll lose my home. Thanks gov, I'll be healthy living in a ditch.

Yep my thoughts exactly, I just got into a financial debacle recently and health insurance is the last thing I have money for.

Salanis
Salanis PowerDork
6/28/12 11:45 a.m.

I'm staying out of the debate. I just found this quote on the subject hilarious:

"Don't worry," former head Onion writer Joe Garden wrote on Twitter. "Despite the health care ruling, America will still find a way to crush its poor."
N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
6/28/12 11:49 a.m.
Anti-stance wrote:
Gearheadotaku wrote: Well, I can't afford insurance so when they start to garnish my wages for it I'll lose my home. Thanks gov, I'll be healthy living in a ditch.
Yep my thoughts exactly, I just got into a financial debacle recently and health insurance is the last thing I have money for.

I already pay about 4% of my yearly income. A few cents on that is nothing. I want to know how much it will be.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
6/28/12 11:51 a.m.

Just remember, Obama said this wouldn't be a tax in 2009. So despite what Roberts and his minions say, it isn't!

PHeller
PHeller SuperDork
6/28/12 11:52 a.m.

So will that tax be used to fund health care for those who can't afford it?

Wouldn't more or less justify universal health care for everyone?

You either let people die, or tax everyone and we all get the same care. The whole subject is stupid.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
6/28/12 11:52 a.m.

I'm absolutely incensed at Justice Roberts. Not for breaking ranks with the other conservatives, but for handing down a bullE36 M3, post-rationalizing decision just so he can be seen breaking ranks with the conservatives.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/28/12 11:54 a.m.

I was kinda hoping it'd be squashed so we could get a new bill with the public option that we wanted in the first place.

Isn't the definition of a compromise, a result that both sides are equally unhappy with?

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/28/12 11:56 a.m.
PHeller wrote: If you can't afford to pay for your health care, and by doing so you raise my costs, your not having health care has affected me.

QFT.

You can argue that insurance is optional and that you shouldn't be required to buy it. But there are times wherein health care is not optional. You can't walk off a broken leg. You can't just decide not to get sick.

It just doesn't work that way.

And if you decide to just suffer the consequences and either die or go bankrupt, you still create problems and expenses for the rest of society.

The requirement to buy insurance affects everybody, but not having that requirement doesn't prevent the realities from affecting... everybody.

Never mind the difference in cost of planned vs unplanned service, and the mayhem of defaulted uninsured service's costs being shuffled, billed, defaulted, calculated into costs of doing business, and added to the costs of healthcare for those who do pay.

My two cents. I feel strongly about it, but I'm not omniscient.

Knurled
6/28/12 12:02 p.m.
ransom wrote: Never mind the difference in cost of planned vs unplanned service, and the mayhem of defaulted uninsured service's costs being shuffled, billed, defaulted, calculated into costs of doing business, and added to the costs of healthcare for those who do pay.

This is the bit that a lot of people are missing. Everybody pays for this anyway, whether it be from higher hospital costs (you really think a hospital grade aspirin costs them $80 to give you?) to government funding to cover losses.

I suppose, though, if we didn't have this setup, we'd have a lot of bill collectors out of work and collection agencies out of business.

ThePhranc
ThePhranc Dork
6/28/12 12:05 p.m.

Health insurance is not health care.

The government now has the power to force people to buy things if they want it or not. This law states you must buy insurance, this will do nothing to help the poor and the end result will be more expensive health care because a mandatory middle man has now been inserted.

Fletch1
Fletch1 HalfDork
6/28/12 12:08 p.m.

I'm still trying to learn this Obummercare. What do you guys think will happen to those of us who have insurance through our employer? I've heard there is a good chance of losing it. Some say employer's will just not offer it anymore and just pay the fine which would be alot cheaper for them.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/28/12 12:18 p.m.
Fletch1 wrote: I'm still trying to learn this Obummercare. What do you guys think will happen to those of us who have insurance through our employer? I've heard there is a good chance of losing it. Some say employer's will just not offer it anymore and just pay the fine which would be alot cheaper for them.

The new law will require everyone to purchase a Chevy Volt.

jg

Knurled
6/28/12 12:18 p.m.
ThePhranc wrote: The government now has the power to force people to buy things if they want it or not.

Does your state require you to have auto insurance?

Fletch1
Fletch1 HalfDork
6/28/12 12:20 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote:

The new law will require everyone to purchase a Chevy Volt.

jg

NOOOOO!!!! LOL.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/28/12 12:27 p.m.

Salanis
Salanis PowerDork
6/28/12 12:29 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: The new law will require everyone to purchase a Chevy Volt. jg

Will it be any good at auto-x? What do you think the aftermarket options for it will be like?

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Dork
6/28/12 12:34 p.m.

No, no! I want to go back to the old way where everyone else pays for my Chevy Volt!

Gearheadotaku
6/28/12 12:36 p.m.

If the current system wasn't abused so badly, we wouldn't be in this spot.

The 3 big expenses (in my opinion) one pays are:

Housing - (rent-mortgage)

Health care/insurance

Retirement fund

Pick 2......

I need some where to live, I will get old, I MIGHT get sick. If I get sick, I'll just die. I'm ok with that vs. losing everything and spending the rest of my life working 3 jobs to pay medical debt while being homeless.

I don't mind paying $100 for a doctor visit every once in a while vs. $3k-$5k a year for services I don't use/need.

Gearheadotaku
6/28/12 12:37 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
ThePhranc wrote: The government now has the power to force people to buy things if they want it or not.

do they require you to own a car?

ThePhranc
ThePhranc Dork
6/28/12 12:37 p.m.
Knurled wrote:

Only if I drive a car. If I don't have a car legally tagged on the road I don't have to pay for insurance.

If thats your argument its a drastic failure.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
6/28/12 12:44 p.m.

What I don't understand is how people who think we can't afford to pay doctors and hospitals think that we CAN afford to pay for those things and a government to admistrate it. A government that in my lifetime I have yet to see run any program efficiently.

1 2 3 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O5H6Pett7xMzSg0EgTzqQQtnLNmxbtis2kosOlwhtdzmR2P5LVXgJjY4UGuu9HH9