1 2 3
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
9/8/13 11:05 a.m.

Well, the race car is white with a red stripe. Recent pic:

Not bad but it's not a real standout. I guess it being a Jensen Healey with a rotary is just not stand-out-ish enough for me. Since the brakes/suspension/drivetrain are pretty well debugged (although boostification will happen soon! ) it's time to move to the pretty stuff. I plan to make a fiberglass bonnet and deck lid sometime soon, that will be a perfect opportunity to change colors. I like the idea of something eye grabbing but not garish. That pretty much rules out BRG, black, dark blues.

Malaga Blue is not really one of my favorites.

Yellow and red are overdone on these cars IMHO, I was thinking of tangerine (a factory JH color):

or silver

Silver metallic (particularly with a hint of blue) looks great on these cars but it'll be a beeyotch to fix if needed so it's sorta low on the list.

I know I said no garish colors, but maybe that Chrome Orange used on the Lotus Elise:

or maybe the Lotus lime green:

might work. I'm open to ideas about colors and patterns, I'd sorta like to stay with non metallic colors so it'll be easy to fix the paint.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
9/8/13 11:08 a.m.

Lime Green, then Tangerine. I'm a longtime fan of Highway Dept Orange as well, so you've hit my major suggestions.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
9/8/13 11:14 a.m.

Stick with white as a base and add vinyl for color - Rising Union Jack for a theme?

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
9/8/13 11:15 a.m.

Damn. Still no love for Panther Pink.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
9/8/13 11:15 a.m.

Orange for a track car, it shows up better in others mirrors even if they are a shakin'. White and black trim go well w/ it, IMO. The Chrome Orange of the Lotus looks awesome.

White is too appliance but may be enough of a neutral color for adding sponsor colors/ graphics later.

clownkiller
clownkiller HalfDork
9/8/13 11:16 a.m.

Lime green FTW!!

clownkiller
clownkiller HalfDork
9/8/13 11:17 a.m.

More!

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
9/8/13 11:39 a.m.

BRG!!!!!

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
9/8/13 11:40 a.m.

Looks good on anything!

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
9/8/13 11:41 a.m.

My 2 cents

clownkiller
clownkiller HalfDork
9/8/13 11:57 a.m.

And

aircooled
aircooled PowerDork
9/8/13 12:35 p.m.

British Racing Green, with an "appropriately" decorated hood (maybe integrate some of the orange and green mazda race colors).

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
9/8/13 12:38 p.m.

What brand of bikes did you ride?

KTM has a good orange/black/silver:

Husky's orange should be available in tractor paint:

Tractor paint should lead to easy repair, paint. Maybe Kubota
http://www.majicpaints.com/tractor-supply-tractor-truck-implement-colors/

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
9/8/13 12:38 p.m.

I heart BRG but it won't stand out.

Union Jack:

I don't like the wheels but the rest isn't bad and it's certainly eye catching. It's not my personal first choice but it's not out of the running yet.

I saw a lime green 1st gen Spitfire a while back that really looked good. Not this one, but close; it was a little brighter.

If I could find a pic of a Mk IV or 1500 Spit in a brighter green color it would give me a better idea of how my car would look. This is close:

but not as eye popping as the shade I saw.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
9/8/13 12:40 p.m.
aircooled wrote: British Racing Green, with an "appropriately" decorated hood (maybe integrate some of the orange and green mazda race colors).

Ooooo. Maybe paint it like the 'Renown' 787B. Now there's a distinct possibility! Reckon it would screw some people's heads up?

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
9/8/13 2:13 p.m.

Pinkle

t25torx
t25torx Reader
9/8/13 2:27 p.m.

Orange Crush Pearl.

Or go retro and do some bassboat metal flake panels, like a gasser from the 60's.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
9/8/13 2:43 p.m.

In reply to t25torx:

I believe you're missing the whole "easy to repair" boat, there.

t25torx
t25torx Reader
9/8/13 3:30 p.m.

In reply to Duke:

Doesn't mean it's not the correct choice.

FranktheTank
FranktheTank Reader
9/8/13 3:46 p.m.

Metal flake silver, and metal flake chrome orange single side double stripe.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/8/13 3:53 p.m.

Change it up big time. Paint it red with a white stripe.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
9/8/13 3:58 p.m.

How about orange with a silver stripe, the same pattern as it is now. Jensen healeys look best in orange imo.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
9/8/13 4:09 p.m.

black with a yellow stripe, and yellow wheels? aww hell paint the cage yellow too.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Reader
9/8/13 4:14 p.m.

Nothing wrong with PINK

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
9/8/13 4:24 p.m.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kohomL2eWSUzLqfGcY10gy8sH5KpxO9lB8iEFlQv3rcLe8d039Exi43vEyfs4Kz8