ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
9/8/17 8:21 a.m.

My uncle passed at the beginning of the year and left a few pistols that my Mom would like to sell. I know we've got some gun people on here that I feel like I can trust, so I'm asking for some help on pricing these. Looking to sell them fairly quickly, but also don't want to leave money on the table because we don't know what they're worth. I don't have actual model numbers on the S&W pieces, and I haven't seen these in person. Johnny was a pistol instructor for the DOC at one time and still shot regularly, so I assume these are in shootable condition even if they're not pretty.

So we have:

S&W .357 Mag #1

S&W .357#2

S&W 38 Special

Ruger .44Mag Super Redhawk - bought used in original box, barely used

and  Glock 22 and 27 in .40cal. Have OE boxes on these as well, but I'm probably keeping the 27

So can you guys help me out with some approximate values? 

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
9/8/17 8:37 a.m.

I don't know the values but I might be interested in one of the .357s. Iirc you're near enough. 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
9/8/17 9:02 a.m.

Look them up on gunbroker.com.  Look for completed sales.  The BIN's give a good general "asking price" value.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
9/8/17 9:21 a.m.

IN Reply to Dr. Hess:

I've looked on Gunbroker and that gives me some idea on the Glocks and the Ruger, but all the S&Ws on there are in better condition than the ones we have. Not sure how much value drops for condition on those.

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
9/8/17 9:23 a.m.

That looks like a rough finish Glock.  That the 22 or 27?

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
9/8/17 9:33 a.m.

Top one is the 22, bottom is 27 I believe.  The 22 is a bigger frame but the photo angle doesn't really show it. Looks like it has some decent finish wear around the trigger guard. Not sure what generation they are.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
9/8/17 10:30 a.m.

Looks like a Gen 4 22, Gen 3 27.

Vintage S&W stuff has really increased in value over the past ~5 years.

This would be a good investment to aid in your pricing. Guns Blue Book

I've got the '13 or '14 .pdf version of the book on a CD at home somewhere, I'd be happy to look stuff up if you'd like.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
9/8/17 11:13 a.m.

Thanks for the offer Lee. If I can run down some model and serial numbers for dates I may take you up on that.

Stampie - I'll keep that in mind. Once I figure out what they're worth we can talk numbers by PM. I'm in Macon, so a few hours away.

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
9/8/17 3:14 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

Thanks, let me know. 

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
9/8/17 5:07 p.m.

the S&Ws i believe are model 19 4" barrel models it looks like, a popular carry piece for officers.  they were part of a line called K-frames.  if you open the cylinder the model number will be inside under the pivot.  there were some variations over the years where usually earlier models are more desirable because they'll have pinned barrels and recessed cylinders.  later they had threaded on barrels and non-recessed cylinders and then eventually they got the key hole (hillary hole) that were not really reliable as there were several people that had them lock up while shooting at the range. 

normal value on a blued 4" .357 K-frame would be in the 600-750 range.  the finish on those is obviously very poor, and i'd worry with the finish in that condition that the barrel and cylinder would be pitted out.  might still be a good candidate for doing re-finish or ceracoat job on it, but it'll never be worth what you'd have to spend to get it done.  If i were to make an offer on the first one the max would probably be in the 250 dollar range, and the second one in the 300 range. 

the .38 spl looks like a "round butt" k-frame but i'm not that familiar with them so check the model number and go from there. 

the ruger super blackhawk  asking prices are 500-750 according to gunbroker. 

any used glock is worth 450-600 depending on model and number of mags included, etc. 

keep in mind you can sell to anyone in the US and ship FFL to FFL and shouldn't have to worry about state-specific gun laws other than hi-cap mag rules on the glocks, but the subcompact probably won't hold more than 10 rds anyways. 

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
9/8/17 5:24 p.m.

In reply to Strizzo :

.40 cal glocks are typically worth less than their brethren due to the whole blowing up issue that was blown out of proportion(pun intended) 

g22 used around me would net around $400 while the g27 would fetch $400-425. 

As you mentioned, options and magazines could change that ballgame. Night sights typically will net you an extra $25-50 depending if factory Glock or aftermarket. Extra magazines are the bread & butter however. Darn things are usually $25/ea at minimum. 

I bought my last g33 on the LEFR program for $420 new, sold it 3 years later with 4 mags and meprolight night sights for $475. 

If the OP wanted to clean up the SW's, find a product called fluid film. It won't hurt bluing and will eliminate the surface rust. 

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
9/9/17 4:11 p.m.

I found that CD, pricing is "blue book," from 2014, so it's a little dated, and even when it was current it was just a rough guide as I'm sure you know.  Location, demand, etc. all play a factor in pricing.

Prices are listed in US $, in order of condition.
NIB, EXC., V.G., Good, Fair, Poor

Going off of Paul's deduction, here's pricing on S&W Model 19:

Ruger Super Blackhawk:

For whatever reason the G27 isn't listed?  The G22 is though, I bought a Gen 3 G22 with one mag, and some significant holster wear on the slide from a guy I work with for $400 about 2 months ago.  I paid $50 too much, and new it when I did, but the guy needed money, and I was feeling benevolent.  AIM Surplus has pretty regularly had Gen 3 G22 police trade-ins for $350 for the past ~6 months.

Let me know when you figure out what the other S&W is and I'll see what's in the book about it.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/9/17 5:16 p.m.

I've been thinking about my first gun and am leaning towards the Glock 27. Let me know if you decide to sell it.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
9/11/17 2:22 p.m.
dyintorace said:

I've been thinking about my first gun and am leaning towards the Glock 27. Let me know if you decide to sell it.

Try to get your hands on a CZ P-10c before being filled settled on that....Thus far it's the only striker fired gun to pass the MAC torture test. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Aru7ez7ZobXjrNcZ2NpbygMKmZEIPmGjxmCrRgE67zKfqBYPrYHsGM6dO7z95i9d