1 2 3 4
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/16/23 9:19 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

Hazeltine! We lived near their HQ. In fact, my mom might have worked there for a bit, too, come to think about it. 

llysgennad
llysgennad HalfDork
11/17/23 12:06 a.m.

Pitfall was pretty good, but I really liked River Raider. And Journey:Escape.

I have a box of 2600 consoles and games in the attic, and a 27" tube TV. I should see what still works.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
11/17/23 8:15 a.m.

I saw a Facebook ad a few days ago for the 2600 & got very interested, hoping it was legit.

My 2600 as a kid was my life, even taking it to relatives house for holidays.  Suitcase-thing with the cartridges.  But I need Star Wars Empire Strikes Back to make it complete, along with Pitfall and Centipede.  Maybe Pole Position?  (And with at least 3 local vintage toy stores selling carts I'm set.)

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
11/17/23 8:27 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

Sadly two of the best Atari games were not on the 2600.  Qix and Tempest.

On the 2600 I played a lot of Combat!   Invisible tanks was the best.

On the 7800 I played a lot of Food Fight and Pole Position

One of my favorite things about the Atari 2600 is the amazing homebrew and retrogaming community that still supports it. And yes, they do make both of those games today! 

One of the companies that makes games for it, Champ Games, has been on a tear the past few years releasing games that either had awful ports or never came out. Like Qyx! It's Qix, but they had to change the name for legal reasons. 

https://champ.games/qyx

Atari themselves made a prototype of Tempest as well, and some enterprising homebrewers finished it.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/17/23 8:38 a.m.
Tony Sestito said:
ProDarwin said:

Sadly two of the best Atari games were not on the 2600.  Qix and Tempest.

On the 2600 I played a lot of Combat!   Invisible tanks was the best.

On the 7800 I played a lot of Food Fight and Pole Position

One of my favorite things about the Atari 2600 is the amazing homebrew and retrogaming community that still supports it. And yes, they do make both of those games today! 

One of the companies that makes games for it, Champ Games, has been on a tear the past few years releasing games that either had awful ports or never came out. Like Qyx! It's Qix, but they had to change the name for legal reasons. 

https://champ.games/qyx

Atari themselves made a prototype of Tempest as well, and some enterprising homebrewers finished it.

Yeah I've seen both of those, they are pretty cool.  I really appreciate the effort on them, but I don't think they translate well to the 2600.

Those are two games that with *minimal* quality of life upgrades from the original arcade, I would still feed quarters into today if I came across one.  (especially 2 player Qix).

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
11/17/23 8:48 a.m.
Mndsm said:

Yall motherberkeleyers are gonna make me trash my living room. 

Tony is the only one I know of here with a deeper collection than me- maybe Patrick, but I think he sold a bunch of his E36 M3. I DON'T need to dig this stuff out right now. 

I still have most of my collection. It's all in storage while we do house renovations, but once that's done, I'll have a dedicated space for all of it. I can't wait! Here's an older pic of just some of the 2600 stuff: 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
11/17/23 8:51 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Did you ever play Volfied, the sequel to Qix? I love that one. Adds some additional quirks to the gameplay, and it looks a lot better. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/17/23 8:55 a.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

No Atari collection is complete without ET. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/17/23 9:05 a.m.
Tony Sestito said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

Did you ever play Volfied, the sequel to Qix? I love that one. Adds some additional quirks to the gameplay, and it looks a lot better. 

I have not, but I'll check it out!

mfennell
mfennell HalfDork
11/17/23 9:19 a.m.

Three pages and no love for Adventure?  I am disappoint.  First game with an easter egg (that I was aware of).  I don't remember the details but you could eventually move through a wall to a room displaying the author(s) of the game.

I have a 2600 emulator running on a Raspberry Pi (along with NES and a few others) with a cheap display.  I used to bring it to the lab when we had our software delivery death marches that would go deep into the night.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/17/23 9:36 a.m.
mfennell said:

Three pages and no love for Adventure?  I am disappoint.

Bottom of Pg 1:

Duke said:

Standouts I recall were COMBAT, Space Invaders, Missile Command, and Adventure.

And yes, I found the easter egg.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/17/23 10:00 a.m.
Mndsm said:
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:
David S. Wallens said:

Pitfall was the best. I will die on that hill. 

^ xOne Billion.

I have played pitfall on a full on movie theater screen before. We're talking 6 foot tall pitfall guy. It was just as bad/good as you'd hoped it would be.

Never anything this cool but I remember when Need for Speed Hot Pursuit came out on Playstation 1. I didn't have one but a friend did and we hooked it up to the home theater at my parents house. 150" screen. That Diablo felt life size to my little brain.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/17/23 10:06 a.m.

In reply to iansane :

Back when you had that one rich homie with the big screen....now the tech is so affordable you look at anyone with under a 55" as poor. You of course, would have been that rich homie in this case .

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/17/23 10:14 a.m.

The rich homie that only had an NES when kids were playing with n64s, PS1s, etc. Haha.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/17/23 10:47 a.m.
Tony Sestito said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

Did you ever play Volfied, the sequel to Qix? I love that one.

I'm way down the rabbit hole on this.

This is called Ultimate QIX on the Genesis, I'll see if I can add it to my Genesis Mini.

There are some modern updates in QIX++, which looks good, modern res, 16:9, etc. but is console only - nothing for PC (that I have found) :( 

There are some PC clones, but I havent seen anything post early 2000s, so they are still 4:3.  Edit I found one with no reviews https://store.steampowered.com/app/2534060/Qix_Xonix_Casual_Edition/

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
11/17/23 12:21 p.m.
iansane said:
Mndsm said:
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:
David S. Wallens said:

Pitfall was the best. I will die on that hill. 

^ xOne Billion.

I have played pitfall on a full on movie theater screen before. We're talking 6 foot tall pitfall guy. It was just as bad/good as you'd hoped it would be.

Never anything this cool but I remember when Need for Speed Hot Pursuit came out on Playstation 1. I didn't have one but a friend did and we hooked it up to the home theater at my parents house. 150" screen. That Diablo felt life size to my little brain.

I used to go to a day camp as a kid that had a 50" Mitsubishi rear projector TV, an Atari, and a NES. I remember playing Pole Position and Enduro on that Atari and Mike Tyson's Punch Out on the NES. It ruled so hard. 

Also: Enduro >>> Pole Position on the 2600. Love that game! I find it more addictive than Pole Position, and I can get much farther in that one. 

And Dragster, don't forget Dragster! One of the first stories I wrote as an "automotive journalist" was about that game. It's HARD! 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
11/17/23 12:24 p.m.

Back on the Atari 2600+ topic...

Instead of buying one of those, I have been planning on Composite A/V modding my 7800. 

I picked this up a few years back for about $50. Thing is in great shape, and doing the A/V mod is fairly simple. It's not for everyone, but I have an upscaler and am planning on getting an old-school CRT in the game room for stuff like this anyway. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/17/23 6:45 p.m.

I still need to complete the atari trilogy. I'd love to have a 5200 and a 7800. I think my next purchase though, is the cheeseburger...or the tower of power if you prefer. But that's not an article for here. Or a virtual boy if I can find one for a reasonable price when i'm ready. 

David S. Wallens
11/17/23 9:57 p.m.
mfennell said:

Three pages and no love for Adventure?  I am disappoint.  First game with an easter egg (that I was aware of).  I don't remember the details but you could eventually move through a wall to a room displaying the author(s) of the game.

I have a 2600 emulator running on a Raspberry Pi (along with NES and a few others) with a cheap display.  I used to bring it to the lab when we had our software delivery death marches that would go deep into the night.

Adventure ruled.

You were a dot.

A green chicken wanted to kill you.

Kept us enthralled for many, many hours. 11/10.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/17/23 10:39 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
mfennell said:

Adventure ruled.

You were a dot.

A green chicken wanted to kill you.

Kept us enthralled for many, many hours. 11/10.

I remember the hidden, pixel-sized dot that you could find that unlocked the special screen with the names of the programmers. It was the first "easter egg" I can remember in a game.

David S. Wallens
11/17/23 11:02 p.m.

So, if you could only have one cartridge, which one? 

I’m thinking Combat due to the variety and the fact it was two player. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/18/23 7:12 a.m.

Pitfall. The Tarzan music when you....tarzan'd? Legendary. 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
11/18/23 7:26 a.m.

Centipede

The TACII Joystick is far better than the CX40

David S. Wallens
11/18/23 10:22 a.m.
Mndsm said:

Pitfall. The Tarzan music when you....tarzan'd? Legendary. 

Pitfall is definitely up there and, you’re right, the best music. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
11/20/23 8:53 a.m.

Did any of you guys play Pitfall II? As great as the original is, the 2nd one is even better! It's a lot like the 1st one, but with a much larger world to explore and more treasures to collect. On top of that, it actually has a special sound chip inside that allows for a full soundtrack that plays throughout the game! 

It was a late release, so a lot of people had moved onto other things by the time it came out, but it's worth playing.

Another late release that's a ton of fun is H.E.R.O.

This one is very addictive. You have to descend into caves to rescue people, and the longer you play, the further down you need to go and the harder it gets. Tons of fun. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dwoHlu4mouOIGnKS2y0u8F5qC6VvfHINw22nyFbCPHkKCJ3qh1JVFBwX4ii01riP