1 2 3 4
Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/20/13 10:49 a.m.
beans wrote: In reply to Swank Force One: I70 through Kansas SUUUUCKS.

Heh, i'm well aware. This is why we're going to hammer through it at night this time.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
6/20/13 10:51 a.m.

I have done 15hrs in one stretch coming back from a FL trip. It started south of Macon, GA, after already driving 7-8 hrs from Bradenton, FL from a weekend of drag racing and sunburn, and ended up at home just north of GR, MI. I stopped once in Lexington, KY for fuel. The last 2hrs sucked ass knowing I was so close yet so far from home.

Another time I did a 8hr trek to Farmington, MO from GR, MI, then to the now-wife's home here in far eastern KY, another 8-9hrs. Then the next day, off loaded the car that was on the trailer, and drove home to MI another 9-10hrs.

Nowadays, I try to get 4-6hrs before stopping with the family in tow. Anything less, and you are driving all damn day to get nowhere. If the family isn't in tow, I easily go 10hrs still getting home to my parents house in MI from home.

beans
beans Reader
6/20/13 10:55 a.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

Looks like I76 from Denver to I80 in Nebraska. There's NOTHING there. I80 through western Nebraska to eastern Wyoming is pretty dreadful, too.

beans
beans Reader
6/20/13 10:57 a.m.

Also I90 through south Dakota is desolation as hell.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
6/20/13 11:11 a.m.

berkeley yes is does. My longest solo trip was about 1100 miles (Evansville, IN to Denver, CO) in 15 hours with one stop, most of which is on I-70 through Kansas. It was actually a pretty easy trip to do alone, but holy hell Kansas is boring. Now if I'm traveling with the wife we have to stop every two or three hours to either feed her starbucks addiction or to get rid of the spent coffee.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
6/20/13 11:22 a.m.
16vCorey wrote:
berkeley yes is does. My longest solo trip was about 1100 miles (Evansville, IN to Denver, CO) in 15 hours with one stop, most of which is on I-70 through Kansas. It was actually a pretty easy trip to do alone, but holy hell Kansas is boring. Now if I'm traveling with the wife we have to stop every two or three hours to either feed her starbucks addiction or to get rid of the spent coffee.

+1

There is no good way to go from IN or IL to CO. You either go through KS ,or NE, both are mind-numbingly boring. Although in NE you do have Ole's Big Game Cafe in Paxton! Nothing like eating a burger while a herd of dead antelope stare you down!

http://olesbiggame.com/

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
6/20/13 11:32 a.m.
Racer1ab wrote: For the purposes of this topic, lets assume one sitting is from waking up to sleeping again. So I'm looking at a job working the oil fields in ND, which according to the Google's is just under 1700 miles away and nearly a 28 hour drive. Of course, I can fly there on my dime too, but I'm looking at making the drive at least once just to do it. Maybe just drive every time because I love road trips, hate flying, and no worries about checking bags or lost luggage. My longest day to date was just over 24 hours, which was 1100 miles roundtrip to Indianapolis from WV, with a little sightseeing and test driving a car. I'm figuring at worst, I sleep after my shift in ND, wake up, jump into the car, and drive past the halfway point and find a Motel 6 or something...or maybe just sleep in the Vic. After all, its probably near impossible to cover the whole trip in one sitting, right?

Just did essentially the same drive you are describing in two days this past weekend, from Rising Sun MD to SD. My sister was moving to SD and I went along to split up the driving. 1700 total miles and we made it in two days around 27-28 hours total split between two days. Then I flew back the third day.

Drive was super smooth and I had a blast just watching the scenery. I can imagine doing this drive alone would not be entirely difficult, just stock up on caffeine and pack some snacks.

We were held up for around an hour in I70 on the first day but never hit any traffic other than that.

Road trips rock! I drove to CO last year in three days and that was a good time as well.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/20/13 11:43 a.m.

I actually do better doing long drives by myself rather than with a passenger. The passenger inevitably never stays awake long enough to be useful, and then i feel bad about blasting the stereo.

Driving Swank Force One down to Gainesville from IN was cake. Driving back after a weekend of no sleep, racing, and many night-time drinking shens was cake as well.

beans
beans Reader
6/20/13 11:57 a.m.
Joe Gearin wrote:
16vCorey wrote:
+1 There is no good way to go from IN or IL to CO. You either go through KS ,or NE, both are mind-numbingly boring. Although in NE you do have Ole's Big Game Cafe in Paxton! Nothing like eating a burger while a herd of dead antelope stare you down! http://olesbiggame.com/

+1 to that! I typically go through NE since my grandparents live about an hour off I80. NE has more trees in the eastern part of the state, too.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
6/20/13 12:08 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: I actually do better doing long drives by myself rather than with a passenger. The passenger inevitably never stays awake long enough to be useful, and then i feel bad about blasting the stereo. Driving Swank Force One down to Gainesville from IN was cake. Driving back after a weekend of no sleep, racing, and many night-time drinking shens was cake as well.

Or they constantly want to stop for a fresh 348oz cola which then cause another stop 1 hour later.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
6/20/13 12:12 p.m.

just shy of 600 on two wheels.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/20/13 12:33 p.m.

I did about 800 miles towing with a couple of stops in 13 hours last fall picking up Adrian's Saab. The plan was for us to switch off driving, but I was fine, so I just kept going. Honestly, having a nice, comfy modern vehicle like my F-150 makes it a lot easier.

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
6/20/13 12:34 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: When I was younger, 750 miles in a Europa and I was about done for the day.

I did 850 in mine in 13 hours in '65. And 1160 in a Chevy Malibu two years ago.

t25torx
t25torx Reader
6/20/13 12:35 p.m.

I've did the turn and burn from Nashville to San Antonio several times in my early 20's. Fastest was 11 hours for the 980 miles down there so a little over 88mph and then another 13 back. Most trips took 25-26 hours though. Slowest was when my water pump went out on the SAAB in Texarkana, I bought about a dozen jugs of water at Walmart and when the heater stopped working from the water level going too low, I'd stop and top it off then trek on. Made it home finally, I was beat after that trip.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
6/20/13 12:51 p.m.
beans wrote:
Joe Gearin wrote:
16vCorey wrote:
+1 There is no good way to go from IN or IL to CO. You either go through KS ,or NE, both are mind-numbingly boring. Although in NE you do have Ole's Big Game Cafe in Paxton! Nothing like eating a burger while a herd of dead antelope stare you down! http://olesbiggame.com/
+1 to that! I typically go through NE since my grandparents live about an hour off I80. NE has more trees in the eastern part of the state, too.

+1 my long trip on page one of the thread I went through Utah and East on 70, Kansas was the most boring drive I have ever done.

slowride
slowride Reader
6/20/13 12:55 p.m.

I stopped at Ole's last time I drove from Chicago to CO. It was worthwhile. I would not recommend the hotel at the same exit though.

When I was in college I drove from Eau Claire, Wisconsin to Rocky Point, Mexico in a 72 Super Beetle without stopping except for gas. I was drinking 2-liters of Mt Dew and peeing into a jug through a funnel while driving. I can't remember how long it took but we took 3 days going back. I would never want to do that again.

I'm good for about 800-900 miles these days. I can feel my attention waning after that. Although that might have been the mind-numbing rt 80 through Nebraska last time.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
6/20/13 12:56 p.m.

I think mine was about 975 miles (Cherry Hill, NJ to the west side of St. Louis) in about 15 hours.

Most on 2 wheels was a ~600 mile day of riding to NW Arkansas, hitting tons of twisties, then riding home.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/20/13 1:04 p.m.

My longest/fastest so far was North Florida to Los Angles. 2 days. 16 hours then stopped in San Antonio for an 8 hour nap. Next morning on the road for another 21hours to get home. I had pretty much an entire disassembled car in the car with me, so there was the extra effect of the fuel smell. Somewhere in New Mexico I swore that the fuel tank sprung a leak. I stopped and checked, no leak. I had just been on the same road for so long with no real change in scenery that the hours of driving seemed to fly by... Beware of wild animals lurking near the side of the road at night.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
6/20/13 2:04 p.m.
Gasoline wrote: Last weekend I did 976 miles in 17 hours pulling stuff. I'd say driving hours is different that towing hours.

Agreed. 3 weeks ago when we took the vette to Nashville, that was 12 hours of roundtrip driving that actually wore me out. Same vehicle that we've made 2 30hour one way trips out west and I was wiped when we got home.

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
6/20/13 2:36 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote: just shy of 600 on two wheels.

Right about there for me too. Flew just south of Nashville to buy a bike, rode it back to just north of Detroit. About 10 hours including stops, 580 or so miles.

I would do it again.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
6/20/13 2:44 p.m.

17 hours from Steamboat Springs CO to Bakersfield via Arches, Canyonlands, and the Grand Canyon. berkeleying gorgeous drive, thought I had another five in me to get back to SLO, but called it a (brief) night at a rest stop.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/20/13 4:21 p.m.

Charlotte NC to Plymouth MI to pick up an engine, hug my wife and kids, then back in the car from Plymouth MI to Braselton GA. 23 hours total, solo run.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
6/20/13 4:31 p.m.

Oh yeah, I once did Fay -> Hou -> Fay, just under 1100 miles in one day. Left about 0700, got back around 0300 or so. Yeah, I was beat after that one.

jimbbski
jimbbski HalfDork
6/20/13 4:35 p.m.

The longest drive solo was about 900 miles in 16 hours. I kept it at the speed limit too. I was passed by cars that I later passed being given tickets by the highway patrol of the states I was driving thru. One of the fastest was 300 miles in 4.5 hours with one stop for fuel. I did make a drive of 1000 miles in less then 24 hours but did stop to sleep for a few hours. I also drove Chicago to Dallas non-stop but had a co-driver.

white_fly
white_fly Reader
6/20/13 4:41 p.m.

My record was 1326 miles. Michigan to Colorado. I'd do it again.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OnzxOocjSbSmIbSRrIYgB5h1VKB2mPHM8vPk2SkNa9fke2jtc0ND3fvwxT9XZQJo