1 2
dxman92
dxman92 Reader
1/17/19 12:02 p.m.

I've had better luck with Lyft than Uber so that is what SWMBO and myself use when needed. I'm a PT Lyft driver anyway so I'm somewhat biased..

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/17/19 2:06 p.m.

Quick update on lga.

I'm posting this while sitting at my gate at the far end of the new terminal. I left my desk in midtown (49th and 3rd) at 2:25ish. Cab was $39.

40 minutes travel to airport and get through security is about as good as you can get. I don't have precheck or anything either.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/19 2:51 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

The taxi is definitely money well spent. The bus there and back is always slower but now with the rebuilding going on we’re on a convoluted series of detours that is just painful.  

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/17/19 3:54 p.m.

Thanks for the info every one. When I reffered to "just driving" I meant from home, not an airport rental. It's about a 10 hour drive from home. That's routine for me. Flying would give me a little more time there though.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/17/19 3:58 p.m.
Robbie said:

Quick update on lga.

I'm posting this while sitting at my gate at the far end of the new terminal. I left my desk in midtown (49th and 3rd) at 2:25ish. Cab was $39.

40 minutes travel to airport and get through security is about as good as you can get. I don't have precheck or anything either.

Dang. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/17/19 4:04 p.m.
Robbie said: I don't have precheck or anything either.

With how much  you travel, you need to get it. Jeebers. I had to go through security at Midway the other day without TSA (wife didn't have it because of a name-change snafu), and even though it only took about 10 minutes, just having to take off my shoes and my jacket was enough to make me thankful for having it. 

David S. Wallens
1/17/19 4:08 p.m.
mtn said:
Robbie said: I don't have precheck or anything either.

With how much  you travel, you need to get it. Jeebers. I had to go through security at Midway the other day without TSA (wife didn't have it because of a name-change snafu), and even though it only took about 10 minutes, just having to take off my shoes and my jacket was enough to make me thankful for having it. 

Yeah, I'm also a fan. 

Wally
1/17/19 6:31 p.m.
Gearheadotaku said:

Thanks for the info every one. When I reffered to "just driving" I meant from home, not an airport rental. It's about a 10 hour drive from home. That's routine for me. Flying would give me a little more time there though.

Then you'd hardly have to drive in the city at all.  I would just try to time the trip to not hit the tunnel at either rush hour.

Gearheadotaku
1/17/19 8:30 p.m.
Curtis said:

This is pizza:

Related image

This is a casserole:

Image result for new york pizza gifImage result for new york pizza gif

Sorry, best Pizza comes from Detroit, but that's another thread

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
1/17/19 8:49 p.m.
NickD said:

Tell them that bagels and pizza suck. That will make NYC very cross. wink

well theoretically together they would unless I guess it's a bagel crust which would be super hard to pull off but might make me millions one day if I can remember it by tomorrow morning. cool

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
1/17/19 8:52 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

ooh. got the Joe Biden reference there. wink

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
1/17/19 8:56 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

yes even sleven pizza counts as the little bastard bird that was eyeballing me outside of GWU waiting for me to eyeball a frosh and then tried to snatch the remainder of the slice from my gaping maw. blush

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
1/17/19 9:09 p.m.

well you could ask the lady from New Joisey.

Kingkong
Kingkong New Reader
1/18/19 12:42 p.m.

A lot of my coworkers fly into LGA. They say getting a cab is best because everyone and their mother is trying to get an UBER so it becomes confusing which car is yours.

Wally
1/18/19 8:51 p.m.
nutherjrfan said:
NickD said:

Tell them that bagels and pizza suck. That will make NYC very cross. wink

well theoretically together they would unless I guess it's a bagel crust which would be super hard to pull off but might make me millions one day if I can remember it by tomorrow morning. cool

You could make yourself a nice pizza bagel:

Gearheadotaku
3/24/19 8:10 p.m.

Update!

Took Wallys mass transit advice. Q70 bus to the 7 train. Yes, Lagaurdia is a freakin' mess. Glad I was leaving the driving to some one else.

My 24 hr whirlwind tour:

Subway to Hotel on the west side of Manhattan. Drop off bag.

Subway to 9/11 memorial/museum. Get choked up a bit...

Walk thru Little Italy (got floppy pizza for lunch)and Chinatown

Subway to Times Square, wander a bit.

Walk down 46th to the USS Intrepid. Marvel at engineering.

Feet tired. Stop for beer at Hellcat Annies in Hells Kitchen.

Make it back to hotel.

Nap. Shower.

Dinner and drinks at the Playboy Club

Stagger to hotel.

Somehow manage to get on the right subway this morning and make it to the airport.

Wally
3/24/19 8:57 p.m.

I’m glad it worked out for you. That’s a lot to pack into a day. I hadn’t realized that the Playboy club was open, when they first put the signs up they were filming a tv show nearby and I assumed that was just a part of it.

David S. Wallens
3/24/19 9:18 p.m.

Yeah, glad to see you packed it all in. If you're just sitting around the City, you're not doing it right. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Hw5BjiC5xtgZ99RqXKU8Sr3DunPXDIAL42hRInOWoZCsdLhTOZk34RLx0LhJGims