1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
10/5/16 1:56 p.m.

My mom lives in a waterfront condo an hour south of Daytona, but is out of town right now. My stepfather is only evacuating to the other side of the intracoastal waterway. If she has a hard time getting a flight back home, I suspect I'll be going to pick her up and drive her down to see what's left of the building.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
10/5/16 3:38 p.m.

Is it just me or do the predictions keep getting stronger and closer to the coast?
This does not look fun. Not at all.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
10/5/16 3:44 p.m.
NOT A TA wrote: Yup, beautiful here in Delray Beach today. If the storm hits hard here I'll probably loose most of my roof for several reasons. Also, if it's bad the salvageable trees and plants in the yard that were recovered or up-righted after being yanked out of the ground by a tornado earlier this year will probably be gone because the roots haven't grown back enough yet and big trees that would break the wind were completely destroyed. Concrete block house and after a direct eye wall hit by Wilma in 05 I had most of the doors and windows replaced with hurricane ones except one sliding glass door. Will put the hurricane panels on it today. Biggest structural concerns are large roof sections that overhang the front porch and rear patio. Strong wind in a North/South direction (which we're expected to get)causes lift that would very likely damage or remove both. During Wilma the front one lifted and the columns that support it were blown out. At the time I made temporary repairs and recently started making permanent repairs but it requires major structural work I planned on doing during the cooler months this year and it's not ready for a hurricane. The rear roof extension is old and wood deteriorating where metal supports are bolted in. I watched my neighbors very similar roof build around the same time (mid 70's)rip off and cartwheel through the yard crushing another neighbors car during Wilma 10+ years ago. My 86 Porsche is under the rear roof and no where else to protect it. I only have force placed insurance due to the opportunistic vulture like corporate policy of the stage coach riding mortgage holding financial institution. So none of my personal belongings including any vehicles on the property are covered by homeowners insurance. long story Sure hope it blows out to sea! [URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/house/20161005_105636_zpszcua81wy.jpg.html][/URL] [URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/house/20161005_105743_zpsd9xq3kpx.jpg.html][/URL]

Hit up the lumberyard and completely wall in that patio around the 911.......it might keep that canopy from flying off the house as well.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
10/5/16 3:51 p.m.

That or a few mobile home tie downs screwed into the ground and cabled/chained to the strongest part of the canopy you can find. Maybe some three inch tie downs over the roof? Something?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/5/16 4:09 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Is it just me or do the predictions keep getting stronger and closer to the coast? This does not look fun. Not at all.

Looks like the 5pm update has kicked it over the coast of Florida and closer to the coast of South Carolina.

Still subject to change.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/5/16 4:20 p.m.
NOT A TA wrote: Yup, beautiful here in Delray Beach today. If the storm hits hard here I'll probably loose most of my roof for several reasons. Also, if it's bad the salvageable trees and plants in the yard that were recovered or up-righted after being yanked out of the ground by a tornado earlier this year will probably be gone because the roots haven't grown back enough yet and big trees that would break the wind were completely destroyed. Concrete block house and after a direct eye wall hit by Wilma in 05 I had most of the doors and windows replaced with hurricane ones except one sliding glass door. Will put the hurricane panels on it today. Biggest structural concerns are large roof sections that overhang the front porch and rear patio. Strong wind in a North/South direction (which we're expected to get)causes lift that would very likely damage or remove both. During Wilma the front one lifted and the columns that support it were blown out. At the time I made temporary repairs and recently started making permanent repairs but it requires major structural work I planned on doing during the cooler months this year and it's not ready for a hurricane. The rear roof extension is old and wood deteriorating where metal supports are bolted in. I watched my neighbors very similar roof build around the same time (mid 70's)rip off and cartwheel through the yard crushing another neighbors car during Wilma 10+ years ago. My 86 Porsche is under the rear roof and no where else to protect it. I only have force placed insurance due to the opportunistic vulture like corporate policy of the stage coach riding mortgage holding financial institution. So none of my personal belongings including any vehicles on the property are covered by homeowners insurance. long story Sure hope it blows out to sea! [URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/house/20161005_105636_zpszcua81wy.jpg.html][/URL] [URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/house/20161005_105743_zpsd9xq3kpx.jpg.html][/URL]

Get it to Orlando and I can keep it safe....

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/5/16 4:25 p.m.

Did my final prep today. We ran out of water cases at work at 11am. We won't see another truck til Monday. Got my last little things, some tealights, some matches, raided the secret disney liquor cabinet. I'm off Thursday, so I will probably work on freezing a couple dozen ziolocs in our deep freeze and making ice blocks just in case.

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
10/5/16 5:37 p.m.

My brother is a firefighter in Savannah. His wife is a physician at the local city hospital. Starting tomorrow they're both on 24 hr emergency duty. Hoping and praying for everyone's safety.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/5/16 6:32 p.m.

Jist watched 4 pallets of water get stripped clean in 3min flat. And I thought carjackers were efficient.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
10/5/16 6:40 p.m.

Just called my mother-in-law on Jekyll Island, she's heading up here to Atlanta tomorrow morning. The biggest worry is power getting knocked out to the island. Without power the lift pumps don't work, which affects both the water towers and the sewage treatment facility.

I just left Jekyll on Monday, looks like I might be right back there cleaning up if anything bad happens over the weekend.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/5/16 7:00 p.m.

I honestly think we're over prepared. We're on disneys grid. Disney will never. Ever. Lose power.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
10/5/16 7:05 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote:
mazdeuce wrote: Is it just me or do the predictions keep getting stronger and closer to the coast? This does not look fun. Not at all.
Looks like the 5pm update has kicked it over the coast of Florida and closer to the coast of South Carolina. Still subject to change.

It's not just you. 8 p.m. update has same bull's eye over southern Volusia/northern Brevard counties. We are in Volusia, so we are planning for the worst.

Marge

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
10/5/16 7:12 p.m.

In reply to Marjorie Suddard:

Are you all bugging out or you gonna ride it out?

Marjorie Suddard
10/5/16 7:19 p.m.

In reply to Nick (Bo) Comstock:

We have a cabin about 45 miles due west of Ormond Beach, and I'm there now with Katie, some friends of hers from their college in St. Augustine, and Tim's mom. Tim and Tom stayed behind to board up, and will hopefully get out here by midday tomorrow. It won't be fun here, but we should keep the roof.

Margie

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/5/16 7:22 p.m.

I certainly hope your cabin is 45 miles west of Ormond Beach, otherwise, you guys are in for a really crazy ride over the next few days.

Marjorie Suddard
10/5/16 7:23 p.m.

Oh, duh. Thanks--fixed. I'm a little scrambled right now... too little sleep last night, too much hauling of plants, furniture and supplies today.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
10/5/16 7:26 p.m.

All the work of preparing and if you do it right you have 24 hours or so to just sit and wait. God that sucks.
The board will be here to entertain you as long as you can reach us.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/5/16 7:26 p.m.

I'm also worried about the people we have met in Nassau over the many cruises we went there for. They are looking at a pretty strong hit.... And it's a very low lying island.

I see that the 8pm update has the winds down a hair- from 120 to 115... Can always hope winds go down and the speed of the storm keeps picking up.

edit- the other place we've sailed to is a small island called Coco Cay- which looks to get a direct hit just after Nassau gets hammered... bummer

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/5/16 7:30 p.m.

Holy cow- pictures from Baracoa Cuba- looks like an earthquake hit.

Toyman01
10/5/16 7:31 p.m.

The 8pm really looks crazy with a turn back to the south. Go home Matthew, you're drunk.

You guys and gals stay safe.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/5/16 7:36 p.m.

I like that it's gonna swing back and give us some more. Thanks.

Marjorie Suddard
10/5/16 7:39 p.m.

Latest models are telling us to expect a possible return engagement next week.

Toyman01
10/5/16 7:44 p.m.

The high up over Pennsylvania is keeping it from moving on to the northeast.

What is really going to be interesting is if it stays south until the next low comes in. It's anybody's guess at that point.

I bet the guys running the models look a lot like this.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
10/5/16 7:45 p.m.

That circle thing in the current model is just mean.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/5/16 7:47 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: Latest models are telling us to expect a possible return engagement next week.

Yeah. I overheardont disneys readiness call. They're counting on it

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NPZ3OAQ1wPn6G2n7rAcj6AKZCDzXC02iKnfoHHEBNQVAcM3W9r46J629WUQiSEE5