1 2
The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
2/19/15 7:18 a.m.

I'm actually quite surprised this hadn't occurred to me earlier. While looking for an anvil-like DD I had entertained the idea of a '96-'01 5.0 Exploder. They seem to run forever and the engine is definitely familiar to me. People who need or use low range 4WD find the AWD of the 5.0 Exploder/Mountaineer off-putting. It didn't bother me since I have driven a Subaru for the past 10 or so years and it was a similar system.

Anyway, last night I was thinking of my Crown Vic and, of course, this lead to thinking about Rallycross. I was thinking of ways to make the Vic perform better on gravel/dirt/mud/whatever.

Then BLAM it hit me. Why not rob the AWD bits, front suspension (torsion bars, etc...) and diff from a Mountaineer/Exploder and integrate them into the Vic?!

An AWD Crown Vic! Immediately I pictured swapping harnesses and complete drivetrains (in lieu of a bellhousing adapter plate) so I'd have a 5.0, pushrod, AWD '99 Crown Vic. Maybe install a rear locker and slap a turbo on there too...

That thought stream lead me down a deeeeeep rabbit hole.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/19/15 7:46 a.m.

i have had similar thoughts about grafting an awd astro subframe to a caprice to do the same.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
2/19/15 8:06 a.m.

Yeah, that would undoubtedly be the world's best golf-course-turfing vehicle.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/19/15 8:13 a.m.

Dooo Eeet!!!!

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
2/19/15 8:57 a.m.
Duke wrote: Yeah, that would undoubtedly be the world's best golf-course-turfing vehicle.

I neither confirm nor deny the action implied by your statement but...what have you heard about me and golf courses?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
2/19/15 9:00 a.m.

You know your wife is also a member of this board, right?

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
2/19/15 9:21 a.m.
The_Jed wrote:
Duke wrote: Yeah, that would undoubtedly be the world's best golf-course-turfing vehicle.
I neither confirm nor deny the action implied by your statement but...what have you heard about me and golf courses?

Just let me drive it a few times, and nobody need ever find out what I know... or don't know.

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
2/19/15 9:24 a.m.

In reply to Duke:

lol

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
2/19/15 9:25 a.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid:

Yeah, I texted her about it last night when it hit me.

She did the equivalent of reaching through her phone, patting my head and saying, "Well bless your heart.".

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
2/19/15 9:43 a.m.

personally i would rather just lower a explorer, seems a lot easier (less billet and chrome but you get the idea)

or maybe a vic body on the explorer frame?

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
2/19/15 9:51 a.m.

Weird. A Mountaineer passed me the other day on the highway and I had similar thoughts...

You know the Mountaineers had IRS, right?

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/15 10:39 a.m.

In reply to patgizz:

The 80s Toronado/Riviera may be a better fit. Not that I've thought about it or anything.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Reader
2/19/15 11:02 a.m.

This whole thread... I love it.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
2/19/15 11:03 a.m.
patgizz wrote: i have had similar thoughts about grafting an awd astro subframe to a caprice to do the same.

I've wondered if S10 or Bravada front suspension will bolt to a G-body subframe just to build an AWD donk. Then either use it for four wheel burnouts or off roading.

slefain
slefain UberDork
2/19/15 11:08 a.m.
edizzle89 wrote: personally i would rather just lower a explorer, seems a lot easier (less billet and chrome but you get the idea) or maybe a vic body on the explorer frame?

I already checked the measurements, the SUV wheelbase almost three inches narrower, but within one inch in length. You could probably make up for the difference in width with wider wheels, and the length difference would be barely noticeable. I'm going to guess that the SUV firewall is WAY taller than the sedan though.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
2/19/15 11:16 a.m.

Dude it's totally feasible using a mountaineer front axle/suspension.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
2/19/15 11:19 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: You know the Mountaineers had IRS, right?

he is talking about 96-01 mountaineers which were still solid axle, the later ones went to irs

etifosi
etifosi Reader
2/19/15 11:28 a.m.

Admit it, this is what gave you that idea. (Town car body)

RossD
RossD PowerDork
2/19/15 12:16 p.m.

What about track width? Maybe start with an Expedition

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
2/19/15 12:22 p.m.

Is that a Town Car? I thought it was an Infiniti J30.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
2/19/15 12:56 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote:
patgizz wrote: i have had similar thoughts about grafting an awd astro subframe to a caprice to do the same.
I've wondered if S10 or Bravada front suspension will bolt to a G-body subframe just to build an AWD donk. Then either use it for four wheel burnouts or off roading.

S10 front suspension bits work, as do Camaro rears. The AWD system should fit, with a bit of hacking.

Morbid
Morbid Reader
2/19/15 8:25 p.m.

In reply to The_Jed:

Well bless your sweet little heart.

Morbid
Morbid Reader
2/19/15 8:26 p.m.
Duke wrote:
The_Jed wrote:
Just let me drive it a few times, and nobody need ever find out what I know... or don't know.

Hmmmm, creepy happenstance we have here...

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/19/15 8:28 p.m.

well, great. now if the engine in my roadmonster really has internal damage i'm shopping for an all wheel drive astro to steal the stuff out of. if i got an astro sub and grafted it in as if i were doing a sub on an older car, things should work normal(and i already have an all wheel drive astro/s10 small block swap oil pan and astro v8 motor mounts).

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/15 10:16 p.m.

In reply to patgizz: What about dropping the Roadmaster body on the Avalanche.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sv77DYXDDJGY5V1FcBEdbfKuYQnZzuee17w1VyzLRXaXb8ChBL7uRNadHsrbU3II