1 2 3
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/26/13 9:24 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote: When taken to court, it will be necessary people to distinguish the difference beyond a reasonable doubt.

No, it will be necessary for the prosecution to prove the difference beyond a reasonable doubt.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
11/26/13 9:25 a.m.
SVreX wrote:
N Sperlo wrote: When taken to court, it will be necessary people to distinguish the difference beyond a reasonable doubt.
No, it will be necessary for the prosecution to prove the difference beyond a reasonable doubt.

Well, both actually, but yes.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
11/26/13 9:25 a.m.
Racer1ab wrote: I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. If you've added storage compartments to your track car to hold every last thing you'd need, I bet the cops wouldn't care.

I prefer not to leave the decision about what my stuff is intended for to police. It is none of anyone's business what I choose to hide away unless they have probably cause and a search warrant. No cop who pulled over a car reeking of drugs is going to have trouble getting one. If they find drugs then there is a crime. But... if you got 10 years in prison for smoking a joint because you also had your Burt Bacharach 8-tracks secreted away where people couldn't judge you for your bad taste... that would suck mightily would it not? Rain drops falling on your head aside... There is no reason for a law to be about hidden compartments at all. Drugs are illegal. Secrets are not.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Dork
11/26/13 9:26 a.m.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, if the law has been in place for nearly two years and this is first arrest that's been made for it, it doesn't really seem like its an effective law, nor are the police overzealous in enforcing it.

However if you've ever seen a trap car, its kinda clear what its for. This law isn't to punish Grandpa installing a car safe for his old .38.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
11/26/13 9:27 a.m.

I think we're all going to land in the same spot. Stupid law. Law enforcement doesn't need a short cut to do the job. Catch them with the drugs, not with "hidden compartments" that might be for something illegal.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/26/13 9:28 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote: HAHAHA. Ok. Thats funny. Unfortunately you just handed them everything they needed. Be sure to plead da fif next time.

Yes, I was trying to be funny.

But it is also true.

Read the law. That defense is completely appropriate. The only thing my statement handed them was the proof that I built the compartment in full accordance with the law.

They can't arrest me for possession if I am not in possession, and they can't arrest me for building a box to store valuables, as long as there are no substances inside.

Like I said, a junior lawyer could drive a truck through it.

I think you guys in OH need a few new lawmakers.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
11/26/13 9:30 a.m.

In reply to SVreX:

Right, but look at the hidden compartment stuffed with weed that I posted. Now clean it out and prove that it was for your gun or for your gold watch. Under the OH law, you won't get too far.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
11/26/13 9:36 a.m.

I wonder if it has anything to do with this guys priors and we just arent being told about em?

Sec. 2923.241 said:

(D) No person who has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to a violation of aggravated trafficking in drugs under section 2925.03 of the Revised Code that is a felony of the first or second degree shall operate, possess, or use a vehicle with a hidden compartment.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/26/13 9:38 a.m.

In reply to N Sperlo:

I don't have to prove it was for my gun.

The prosecutor has to prove that it wasn't.

The OH law is very clear- Item "I".

All laws based on intent are doomed with even a half-wit lawyer.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
11/26/13 9:41 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: I wonder if it has anything to do with this guys priors and we just arent being told about em?
Sec. 2923.241 said: (D) No person who has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to a violation of aggravated trafficking in drugs under section 2925.03 of the Revised Code that is a felony of the first or second degree shall operate, possess, or use a vehicle with a hidden compartment.

I believe that is a redundancy in order to add a count of (insert charge here).

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
11/26/13 9:43 a.m.

My dad bought an XK120 with a lockable compartment hidden under the rear carpet. Here's my question: how in the hell is a cop supposed to know the 'intent' of the secret compartment?

That law is poorly written and should be repealed.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
11/26/13 9:45 a.m.

In reply to N Sperlo:

Im guessing its an effort to keep previous drug offenders from thinking its ok to drive their trap car around in between runs.

"While its ok in general for most people to have a compartment in their car for things other than illegal substances, Its not ok to put a secret compartment in YOUR car, Mr. Felon, because youve already proven youre a drug risk."

I dont think it has anything to do with driving up the number of counts in a single arrest.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
11/26/13 9:49 a.m.

In reply to 4cylndrfury:

I misread it. Sounds like you are correct, but then again, lets bring up part "I" and its not enforceable again.

AtticusTurbo27
AtticusTurbo27 Reader
11/26/13 11:14 a.m.

If you own an old 911 or 912 keep out of ohio:

also found a forum post of cars with hidden compartments: http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthread.php?3952484-Cars-with-secret-compartments-other-stuff

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
11/26/13 11:15 a.m.

In reply to AtticusTurbo27:

The law doesn't apply to stock compartments. Put all the coke you want in there.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
11/26/13 11:18 a.m.

Isuzu Troopers too. This is under the back seat:

AtticusTurbo27
AtticusTurbo27 Reader
11/26/13 11:25 a.m.

In reply to N Sperlo:

What if I own a 911, KNOW the compartment is there and intend on carrying drugs in it but get pulled over before i can go buy them?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
11/26/13 11:33 a.m.

In reply to AtticusTurbo27:

Still wouldn't work. They need to prove intent which is what sparked up the discussion. Even with the "hidden compartments" by part "I" of the stated law, intent needs to be proven, but the law is only regarding "hidden compartments" that were not factory.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
11/26/13 11:50 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote: In reply to AtticusTurbo27: The law doesn't apply to stock compartments. Put all the coke you want in there.

Every DeLorean owner in Ohio just breathed a collective sigh of relief

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
11/26/13 11:52 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote:
N Sperlo wrote: In reply to AtticusTurbo27: The law doesn't apply to stock compartments. Put all the coke you want in there.
The DeLorean owner in Ohio just breathed a sigh of relief

FTFY

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/26/13 12:07 p.m.
Racer1ab wrote: I'm just playing devil's advocate here....

Paraphrase meaning of devil's advocate. "I disagree with you but I don't want to stand up and say so."

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Dork
11/26/13 12:09 p.m.

Nah, I just know the futility of arguing with the tinfoil hat crowd.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/26/13 12:16 p.m.
Racer1ab wrote: Nah, I just know the futility of arguing with the tinfoil hat crowd.

Doesn't your avatar say something about Zombies?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
11/26/13 12:19 p.m.

My Ranger had huge hidden compartments behind the jump seats. That is where I kept my aircompressor, extra quart of oil, jumper cables and the like.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Dork
11/26/13 12:19 p.m.

Would you call the tinfoil hat crowd something different?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4SRxqUTk0ddI5mNKbh0R2hmMBPkbinHdVbe9KaispDcdv0z70beZqelqrw5vLbfF