1 2 3
Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
5/9/13 2:34 a.m.

Short version: My mom is talking about wanting to move to Evanston, IL to join something called the Reba Place Fellowship. It is apparently a Christian commune. I want to be sure it's not actually a cult or anything like that. Does anybody know anything about this group?

Here is their website. At least they are not trying to hide and be secretive or anything.

Longer vesion: My mom has issues. She is genuinely mentally ill, but is typically able to maintain herself well with proper medication. When she goes off her medication... she can get herself in serious trouble. The last major episode led to her losing her job in hospice Chaplaincy that she'd spent a bunch of money to go to seminary in order to get. Because of how much of a problem it was and how close the community is for jobs like that, it pretty much means she can't find another job like what she wants. She is in pretty significant financial trouble right now.

It is also very beneficial for her to have a support group around. People to be sure she's been taking her medication and to get her back on it if she stops.

I suspect those two factors play a large role in the appeal of some sort of commune. If this group is weird somehow, and not on the up-and-up, they could easily be clouding her judgement.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
5/9/13 5:19 a.m.

After a quick review of the website? My instincts says "yes".

Skimming through it...communal work, shared possessions...But I could be wrong.

My suggestion? Call churches in the surrounding area and ask their opinion and maybe the local pd?

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
5/9/13 5:27 a.m.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2007-08-10/news/0708090510_1_mennonite-commune-conscientious-objectors

and

http://www.ypress.org/news/rebe_place_history

These are about the only things I could find online about this group. Quoting from the first one, "Its members turn over their pay to the fellowship and receive a monthly allowance for necessities, along with housing the fellowship provides."

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
5/9/13 6:33 a.m.

Baron, I would assume that since your mother is, as you put it, mentally ill, she is drawn to ideas such as this. I'm sure you understand that the medicine isn't going to eliminate all the crazy thoughts she may have. The place probably advertises to feed on these types of people.

I'm not 100% sure of anything but the fact that they need to be looked into. Call the police in that city. They'll give you a proper review.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
5/9/13 6:40 a.m.

Mennonite.
Contact another Chicago area Mennonite church to get a reference.
Mennonite is nearly Amish but with electricity.

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
5/9/13 6:59 a.m.

I would run away

skip the fluff at the top....just search for "Reba"
http://www.religion-online.org/showarticle.asp?title=3286

If you really want to dig through the thought process of people involved in Reba
http://www.amazon.com/The-Intentional-Christian-Community-Handbook/dp/1612612377

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UberDork
5/9/13 7:09 a.m.

Who's to say? Most of us are active members in the cult of consumerism. And you don't hear (enough) people freaking out about that.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
5/9/13 7:11 a.m.

I've even got my tribal tattoo. I belong to the tribe of American Consumerism.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
5/9/13 7:11 a.m.

It doesn't give me the creeps when I read it. This seems, at strongest, borderline cultish to me. It doesn't seem like it cuts its members off from the world at large, but I could be wrong.

It gets to be worrisome when the whole of a community actively cuts its members off from the rest of the world. In Christian circles, it's hard to evangelize when you don't ever meet non-Christians. It kinda misses the whole "go out to all the world and preach the Gospel" thing. (Don't take this as a condemnation of monasticism or cloistered orders, though.)

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
5/9/13 7:15 a.m.

All of it is a cult, so help her choose the one with the coolest by-line. Take her to your local Pentecostal church and introduce her to the fine art of snake handling. At least she can stay in CA where you can keep an eye on her.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/9/13 7:25 a.m.

Cult or not, if Mom is willing to pack up and move to anywhere for the sake of (what's the benefit again?) whether it's a new boyfriend, to join the Peace Corp whatever; given Mom's history it bears a hard look. Got a lawyer?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
5/9/13 8:11 a.m.
scardeal wrote: It doesn't give me the creeps when I read it. This seems, at strongest, borderline cultish to me. It doesn't seem like it cuts its members off from the world at large, but I could be wrong. It gets to be worrisome when the whole of a community actively cuts its members off from the rest of the world. In Christian circles, it's hard to evangelize when you don't ever meet non-Christians. It kinda misses the whole "go out to all the world and preach the Gospel" thing. (Don't take this as a condemnation of monasticism or cloistered orders, though.)

The cut off from the world would definitely be a sign you're dealing with a cult. If they tell members to avoid contact with, say, Christians from other denominations because they're a bad influence, that's bad. Some other red flags that it's a cult instead of garden variety extremists include:

• Not being up front about what you're getting into. If they have things they only tell people who are well into the group and try to keep society in general or potential new members from finding out about them - run.
  • Believing their group is the only one that's saved. Sure, most Christian groups believe that one needs Jesus to be saved (although they may hold that Jesus can save non-Christians). But a healthy church also usually holds that there are other Christian groups that are saved, too. With any group, there's going to be some "We're right and they're wrong" mentality, but a healthy church will concede that there are some points where it's tough to be absolutely certain on, and can agree to disagree with other Christians.
  • Placing a greater emphasis on recruiting other members than any other aspect of their religion. Many cults have a tendency to worship the holy attendance records, and can compromise other areas of their teaching if it helps bring in recruits. I'm talking about OKing deceptive recruiting practices, telling members that recruiting others is a condition of salvation, etc.
mtn
mtn UltimaDork
5/9/13 8:34 a.m.

I've heard about it before--neighbors cousin in law's college roommates brothers third ex wife type of deals joined. So with my knowledge of it in mind, here is my opinion.

I wouldn't say it is quite a cult. At least not as much as say, scientology. You can leave it at any time and they won't send hitmen out after you. They don't brainwash you by feeding you only 1 ounce of rice a day and dehydrating you. I wouldn't say it is dangerous, and I do not believe that they have a hidden agenda. And the biggest thing is that, unless I am mistaken (I could be, I'm not looking throught hte websites while at work) is that you can go out and do stuff in the community of Evansville. You aren't stuck in the commune.

That being said, I would discourage it. I don't trust anyone who wants me to turn over my paycheck. Is there harm in this one? Probably not. I believe that Communism does work in small numbers. But I don't want to be part of it in anyway.

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
5/9/13 9:07 a.m.

My major question would be: "will they encourage/ allow her to take her psych meds?"

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
5/9/13 9:07 a.m.
914Driver wrote: Cult or not, if Mom is willing to pack up and move to anywhere for the sake of (what's the benefit again?) whether it's a new boyfriend, to join the Peace Corp whatever; given Mom's history it bears a hard look. Got a lawyer?

Agreed. Time to consult counsel. You have a mental health history already that is "disturbing", IE- medication compliance. There are people in the hospitals for similar things and on less of a scale then your mom. Only thing I can forewarn is that going after a mental health "warrant" sucks for the person getting the warrant. It is very similar to being a convicted felon.

peter
peter HalfDork
5/9/13 9:08 a.m.

I think the group has covered it, but two online resources are:

http://www.rickross.com/

and

http://www.cultwatch.com/

Both have decent info about red flags, though I'm more skeptical of the second because it's a Christian group.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/9/13 9:15 a.m.

Not totally sure if she's joining a cult but she's definitely joining a creepy-as-hell commune.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
5/9/13 10:35 a.m.
bastomatic wrote: My major question would be: "will they encourage/ allow her to take her psych meds?"

That's a good one too. There are some groups that aren't cultic that might be anti-psych medicine, but it still wouldn't be healthy.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
5/9/13 10:41 a.m.

While it gives me the heeby jeebies, something like that might be exactly the support structure she needs.

yamaha
yamaha UltraDork
5/9/13 11:04 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: Mennonite is nearly Amish but with electricity.

It doesn't sound that much different than your traditional mennonite/amish communities, aside of course from the commune.

John, the amish around me use electricity, its just supplied by generators not the power grid. Mennonites normally are on the power grid, own cars, etc, but practice the old ways, despite their modern "luxuries"

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/9/13 12:05 p.m.

to the OP, you should PM 16vCorey. He lives in Evansville.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/9/13 12:06 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: to the OP, you should PM 16vCorey. He lives in Evansville.

Which is a lot like Evanston, you know, because they both have "Evan" in them.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
5/9/13 12:09 p.m.
yamaha wrote: John, the amish around me use electricity to grow weed and make meth, its just supplied by generators to be untraceable instead of the power grid. Mennonites normally are on the power grid, own cars, etc, but practice the old ways, despite their modern "luxuries"

FTFY

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
5/9/13 12:11 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:

...not to mention the Indiana Vs Illinois issue.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/9/13 12:12 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:

dammit, i was just coming back to remove my geometrically-challenged post. in my defense, they have more in common than you stated. you forgot the "S".

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ao7mqYkQoK31L14UkBEwoy0WLk4BEAF9vT7O1frNh0HDUaU1jJusFaTa1mFftrsr