1 2 3
andrave
andrave HalfDork
12/4/12 12:51 p.m.

I would second the leaving carpet, at least on half the garage. its nice to lay on.

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
12/4/12 12:53 p.m.
dyintorace wrote: Congrats on the progress! Great news that you got it freed.
BoxheadTim wrote: ...remove the carpet.
Not sure what the carpet type is, but I've seen a few garages with indoor/outdoor carpeting and it's nice! Probably not great if you drive leaky cars, but it's nice not to have hot/cold concrete floors!

My parents have a carpeted garage. It's leftover/stuff removed during house re-carpeting, so not all of it fits, but it makes working on stuff WAY nicer. So far they've been lucky enough to not spill oil on it, but it still doesn't look 'living room fresh.' I wouldn't hesitate to lay down on it, though. It helps they have a pretty hardcore carpet cleaner, but in hindsight they probobly shouldn't have used white carpet.

andrave
andrave HalfDork
12/4/12 12:54 p.m.
motomoron wrote: Methylene chloride, aka the stuff in aircraft stripper, 3M adhesive remover, MEK, possibly toluene. All of which are between very bad to extremely bad for you.

Its wikipedia page, which may or may not have been written by the CEO of a company that produces Methylene chloride, says:

Health effects:

Butanone is an irritant, causing irritation to the eyes and nose of humans,[6] but serious health effects in animals have been seen only at very high levels. When inhaled, these effects included birth defects.[7]

Butanone is listed as a Table II precursor under the United Nations Convention Against Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances.[8]

On December 19, 2005, the U. S. Environmental Protection Agency removed butanone from the list of hazardous air pollutants (HAPs). After technical review and consideration of public comments, EPA concluded that potential exposures to butanone emitted from industrial processes may not reasonably be anticipated to cause human health or environmental problems. Emissions of butanone will continue to be regulated as a volatile organic compound because of its contribution to the formation of tropospheric (ground-level) ozone.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/4/12 12:56 p.m.
Duke wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: MEK will dissolve it,
...as well as your liver and a fair portion of your DNA structure.

Ok granted which is why you use proper protection when using it...

andrave
andrave HalfDork
12/4/12 1:08 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Ok granted which is why you use proper protection when using it...

...condoms?

rotard
rotard Dork
12/4/12 1:15 p.m.

Not all PU's are the same. A lot of the time the stuff has to sit in harsh solvents at elevated temperatures and pressures in order to go into solution. I'd just scrape the stuff off.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/7/12 11:58 a.m.
andrave wrote: I would second the leaving carpet, at least on half the garage. its nice to lay on.

This one is pretty worn and cheap office style carpet. It's not in great shape, and the cars leak a little. Plus, it's glued into some corners with expanding foam .

I'm hoping to put in the plastic garage tiles into the non-workshop area soon, though.

andrave
andrave HalfDork
12/7/12 12:17 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: Plus, it's glued into some corners with expanding foam

. . . *shaking my head

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
12/7/12 3:14 p.m.

Yeah, I've got something for you.

berkeleying squirrels. Expanding foam - no problem.

I finally banished the pair of tree rats in my attic. Coarse steel wool + expanding foam that contains mouse/rat poison. No more pitter patter of tiny feet from upstairs tenants.

andrave
andrave HalfDork
12/7/12 3:28 p.m.

We had steel mesh over our attic to keep critters out. Bats and squirrels chewed right through it(literally, didn't weasel out a hole around the side, they cut a hole right in the middle). bastards.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
P7bMhn1A8o9gAivBwjWVdRMBify2qBdAYxd0cV4N8hBWL8jwQEWp7bRmTycSHsL1