1 2 3 4 ... 6
Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox Dork
11/30/11 2:54 p.m.

In reply to ThePhranc:

Well, how conservative? Like fascist conservative? Or like Ronald Reagan conservative?

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
11/30/11 3:07 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote:
ThePhranc wrote: They already have been. The DHS put out a report saying conservatives need to be feared and will be seen as terrorists.
Isn't DHS run by conservative leaning individuals?

Only if you perceive Janet Napolitano as a conservative-leaning individual.

ThePhranc
ThePhranc Reader
11/30/11 3:10 p.m.
Otto Maddox wrote: In reply to ThePhranc: Well, how conservative? Like fascist conservative? Or like Ronald Reagan conservative?

Fascism is a leftist ideology along side nazism. Sure they are to the right of communism but still far left of conservatism.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
11/30/11 3:10 p.m.

In reply to oldsaw:

I'm not familiar with DHS besides the fact that they are a pain in my ass, so I don't really know Jack about who runs them.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Dork
11/30/11 3:12 p.m.

In reply to ThePhranc:

Hmm, sort of like a current government that bought automobile manufacters and financial institutions.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
11/30/11 3:14 p.m.
Otto Maddox wrote: Well, how conservative? Like fascist conservative? Or like Ronald Reagan conservative?

Conservative, or right-wing, as defined in 2009:

http://thenewamerican.com/usnews/election/1006

DHS has backed-off its' original assertions but undoubtedly the mindset still exists:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/homeland-security-department-curtails-home-grown-terror-analysis/2011/06/02/AGQEaDLH_story.html

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
11/30/11 3:14 p.m.
ThePhranc wrote: Fascism is a leftist ideology along side nazism. Sure they are to the right of communism but still far left of conservatism.

Theres enough left and right and side to side in this statement to make a new hit dance.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox Dork
11/30/11 3:20 p.m.

In reply to ThePhranc:

Well, left wing communism as we've seen it and right wing fascism as we've seen it are pretty close to the same thing. As they say, if you get extreme enough you meet the bottom of the political circle.

I am not a fan of most isms.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/30/11 4:31 p.m.

I agree with you Otto.

madmallard
madmallard HalfDork
11/30/11 5:26 p.m.
Otto Maddox wrote: In reply to ThePhranc: Well, left wing communism as we've seen it and right wing fascism as we've seen it are pretty close to the same thing. As they say, if you get extreme enough you meet the bottom of the political circle. I am not a fan of most isms.

um...

Facism is a state monopoly on assets and political power, rejecting all other social and economic class consideration. Communism is a state monopoly on labor (called 'common-ownership' in fluffy-speak).

they are not poles on a graph line... :/

Marty!
Marty! Dork
11/30/11 5:36 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote:
bravenrace wrote: First of all, you have to be skeptical of anything the Huffy Post publishes. For instance, they don't headline that article accurately, using "Americans" where they should have used "suspected terrorists". Second of all, Nancy Pelosi already labeled the peaceful Tea Party protesters as terrorists.
Huff Po is very left leaning. It's about as ridiculous as other biased sites such as Fox news, Drudge, and/or Daily Kos. That said, do you have a quote in print from a non-biased news org attributing this statement to Pelosi? I'd like to see it. I'm no Pelosi fan but that's knowledge I'd like to have.

No Pelosi quote, but how about one from our no. 2.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0811/60421.html

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/30/11 5:48 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: That said, do you have a quote in print from a non-biased news org attributing this statement to Pelosi?

bwahahahha!

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Dork
11/30/11 6:00 p.m.
Hal wrote: Just the idea that they tried to put something like this into law is another good reason for replacing all members of Congress in the next election. The "Occupy XXX" movement needs to repurpose itself as the "No Incumbents" movement. If most or all of the incumbents were defeated it sure would get the message across.

I think you might be on to something here. The problem is mearly getting rid of the incumbents is not enough. We need to ditch the both the republicans and the democrats. Both parties are completely corrupt. I am of the opinion that there are only three kinds of "wasted" votes:

1) one not cast
2) one cast for a democrat
3) one cast for a republican

Grizz
Grizz HalfDork
11/30/11 6:21 p.m.

Yes, this is america, where have you been?

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=cb68cf9f3fa2fe18a83d1c3dee0039b2

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
11/30/11 6:22 p.m.

stupidity is not just national. (fuel for the fire; don't videotape cops) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80DbxSZ_FB8&feature=player_embedded

ThePhranc
ThePhranc Reader
11/30/11 6:58 p.m.
Otto Maddox wrote: In reply to ThePhranc: Well, left wing communism as we've seen it and right wing fascism as we've seen it are pretty close to the same thing. As they say, if you get extreme enough you meet the bottom of the political circle. I am not a fan of most isms.

Fascism is not right wing. Please try again.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
11/30/11 9:40 p.m.
Otto Maddox wrote: I am not a fan of most isms.

asms, on the other hand...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/30/11 10:43 p.m.
JoeyM wrote: stupidity is not just national. (fuel for the fire; don't videotape cops) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80DbxSZ_FB8&feature=player_embedded

That's pretty scary

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
12/1/11 4:33 a.m.
mad_machine wrote:
JoeyM wrote: stupidity is not just national. (fuel for the fire; don't videotape cops) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80DbxSZ_FB8&feature=player_embedded
That's pretty scary

not just scary...also stupid. civilians have no expectation of privacy in a public location...why should agents of the government be be any different?

[Edit: I just wanted to point out that this whole thing started because they didn't like him fixing up old cars]

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox Dork
12/1/11 7:55 a.m.
ThePhranc wrote:

I could put a bunch of wikipedia links in to prove that I am right...and then you could do the same to prove you are right. But I concede that the matter isn't quite as simple as left or right.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
12/1/11 8:00 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote:
petegossett wrote: So, when all this screwed up mess really goes down, and WE are forced to flee to avoid our own government's power, where do we go???
Straight to them.

Hardcore style

ThePhranc
ThePhranc Reader
12/1/11 8:03 a.m.
Otto Maddox wrote:
ThePhranc wrote:
I could put a bunch of wikipedia links in to prove that I am right...and then you could do the same to prove you are right. But I concede that the matter isn't quite as simple as left or right.

No it really is that simple. And I wouldn't use wiki as a source I have to much respect for my self. But if you want to ignore all the facts about what fascism is thats cool.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
12/1/11 8:05 a.m.
Otto Maddox wrote: I concede that the matter isn't quite as simple as left or right.

It is a simple matter of right and wrong though.

The 5th amendment does not have an "except for whomever we don't like" clause. It should be an automatic assumption that a law in direct conflict with the Constitution would be vetoed and if it isn't - the Supreme Court would shoot it down.

I am not so confident in that assumption these days.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox Dork
12/1/11 8:06 a.m.

In reply to ThePhranc:

Is it really cool or are you being condescending?

So if it really is as simple as left or right wing, you are saying it is left wing? Help me out here.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox Dork
12/1/11 8:09 a.m.

Benito Mussolini. Fascism: Dctrine and Institutions. (Rome, Italy: Ardita Publishers, 1935) p. 26. Quote from the Doctrine of Fascism: "We are free to believe that this is the century of authority, a century tending to the 'right,' a fascist century."

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
074em7YipBi4zkWa3z7qHzQBGhu6otEh47DKI6dmxehDgq3Xxw3HzcEI707I8gpd