1 2 3 4
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/14 11:39 a.m.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/17/world/meast/syria-crisis/

You can't be a good terrorist without knowing math. You need to keep track of ammo, work out countdown times, calculate time zones and satellite flyover times...all kinds of stuff. Al Qaeda only made a name for themselves on the back of Bin Laden's intellect, where are they now without any smart guys on staff? Has-Been City, that's where. You'd think they'd put a big emphasis on education, especially at a time when it's so easy to outsmart the rest of the world.

You can say goodbye to any bioterror ideas without evolution too. The only biological warfare you can do with creationist biology is infect smart people with a nasty case of Teh Sad. Or maybe catapult an Ebola corpse over a wall and hope for the best.

I swear, it's impossible to find competent bad guys these days.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
9/17/14 11:49 a.m.

One disproves the other.

GameboyRMH
9/17/14 12:00 p.m.

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
9/17/14 12:00 p.m.

It's easier to talk ignorant people into doing ignorant stuff

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
9/17/14 12:03 p.m.

Sometimes being stupid as berkeley with a stupid as berkeley plan will indeed outsmart the rest of the world that thinks too highly of itself?

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
9/17/14 12:04 p.m.

This will not end well...

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
9/17/14 12:13 p.m.

Well, atleast if we continue to bungle dealing with them as we have so far... their new self-imposed dark ages will do it for us. It should only take a generation or two since they are already half-way there.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
9/17/14 12:19 p.m.

I think ISIS employs KISS tactics. It wins the hearts by providing food where there is famine, medical supplies where there is pain, and order where this chaos. They follow an Islamic Ideology not unlike their own cruel leadership, follow us and prosper, turn us away and perish.

For the last decade or more, many of these communities across Syria and Iraq have been in near constant cultural and political change, with laws, order, and rulers coming and going. ISIL is no different, just another name for another power struggle. If you are a lucky Sunni Arab living in Northwest Iraq, you may have never fought alongside Saddam, the Americans, al Queda or ISIL, but you've kept your kids quiet, your wife under wraps, and you've just waited out the storm. Your neighbors may have not been so lucky.

Maybe you were an unlucky neighbor. Maybe ISIL bombed your house, killed your kids, or maybe it was the great USA, or maybe it was Asadd. Something happened that gave you nothing to lose and now you join one side or the other. The instability continues in its viscous cycle.

GameboyRMH
9/17/14 12:23 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Well, atleast if we continue to bungle dealing with them as we have so far...

No things are getting serious now, they killed like 5 Westerners. Before it was just a few thousand Syrians.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/17/14 12:26 p.m.

At their heart, these are tribal conflicts that go back 1000 years. We should stay the hell out and let them kill each other.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
9/17/14 12:28 p.m.

GB, does your island contribute any troops to these things? Any boots on the ground in Ebola territory? Any support of the U.S.' external adventures?

And, if I understand this whole thing, this group came out of nowhere in like 3 months and we started bombing them. Now they are mad at us. Is there a correlation? They also have a lot of US arms, from the pics we see. Nice M4's with high dollar optics, not the Chinese junk that us peons can afford.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
9/17/14 12:28 p.m.

How ironic that during the Euro dark-ages, people in their part of the planet were by far the most scientifically and mathematically advanced.

The Euro dark ages were largely self imposed by power hungry "religious" figures too.

History repeats itself I suppose

9/17/14 12:31 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Well, atleast if we continue to bungle dealing with them as we have so far...
No things are getting serious now, they killed like 5 Westerners. Before it was just a few thousand Syrians.

We do like a paper tiger we can roust up the home team over, do we not?

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
9/17/14 12:32 p.m.

I just can't help but snicker every time I hear "ISIS" on the news.

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
9/17/14 12:33 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: At their heart, these are tribal conflicts that go back 1000 years. We should stay the hell out and let them kill each other.

^This

Or we can go back in time and let Saddam continue to keep them in check. Now where did we put that Tardis...

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/17/14 12:43 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: We do like a paper tiger we can roust up the home team over, do we not?

In other words, we shouldn’t lose our heads over this.

Too soon?

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/14 12:51 p.m.

In reply to RX Reven':

Never too soon.

We've had a war on education for years and we're doing ok. They figured out the cool kids don't do math so by banning it they will be flocking to join.

9/17/14 12:52 p.m.
RX Reven' wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: We do like a paper tiger we can roust up the home team over, do we not?
In other words, we shouldn’t lose our heads over this. Too soon?

I cannot believe I didn't get there first. Must be slipping.

Will
Will SuperDork
9/17/14 12:56 p.m.

Well, one time Indiana did try to legislate the value of pi.

Tom_Spangler
9/17/14 12:59 p.m.
Jerry wrote: I just can't help but snicker every time I hear "ISIS" on the news.

Yeah, I wonder if they'll change the name next season.

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
9/17/14 1:10 p.m.

Maybe that's why they have changed it to ISIL? We just need to send Archer over there to tear some E36 M3 up...

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
9/17/14 1:23 p.m.
Cone_Junkie wrote: Maybe that's why they have changed it to ISIL? We just need to send Archer over there to tear some E36 M3 up...

Send him where? You mean.....to the.....DANGER ZONE?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
9/17/14 1:29 p.m.

Every time I hear, "ISIS":

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
9/17/14 1:31 p.m.

carpet bomb them with math equations, theory of evolution books and atheists?

Tom_Spangler
9/17/14 1:35 p.m.
Jerry wrote:
Cone_Junkie wrote: Maybe that's why they have changed it to ISIL? We just need to send Archer over there to tear some E36 M3 up...
Send him where? You mean.....to the.....DANGER ZONE?

Wait.... I had something for this.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kTfui8mt9o6rfcAOvQ0w7d7HnXvIKQodWzpJYQmdTPgrUP9OViUoMHjKnZmD4tP8