1 2
therex
therex SuperDork
8/13/09 8:40 p.m.

In reply to ignorant:

"If given the option..." point is, they ain't.

But they're subjects, not citizens, so that's their business. I just don't want the same to happen here.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/13/09 8:50 p.m.
therex wrote: I just don't want the same to happen _here_.

Three words: Cold Dead Hands.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/13/09 8:51 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0B_UZNtEk4

M2Pilot
M2Pilot New Reader
8/13/09 10:39 p.m.

What therex said. +987654321. I don't know much about it but it seems that UK also has a ban on knives.

gunner
gunner GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/13/09 11:09 p.m.
M2Pilot wrote: What therex said. +987654321. I don't know much about it but it seems that UK also has a ban on knives.

yeah they do. swords, knives, etc. what do they cut their steaks with now? Boddingtons? j/k

now THAT IS GOING OVERBOARD I realize but it's purely to make the point that UK residents are subjects of the monarchy.

take UK's previous gun owners warnings to heart if you are a US citizen. It can happen here. stay vigilant.

not trying to troll here, it's just a cause close to my heart.

I recall an incident several years back but after the ban, where a UK citizen defended his life and property from a bad guy with a shotgun. the bad guy lived, but the citizen went to jail for stopping the bad guy in his livelyhood with a deadly weapon. nice.

no thanks UK. keep sending your ale here though. good stuff! keep your other laws over there.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
8/14/09 5:10 a.m.
therex wrote: But they're subjects, not citizens,

In the words of the therapist in the movie Office Space.

"Wow thats really messed up."

Look man.. I shoot and used to own some guns. All I have left is some muzzleloading stuff at my parnents house. Hell, I even worked at the main remington arms factory for a while in the barrel shop as an engineering coop.. But.. Dude.. Saying you need to be armed to have value is crazy.

I suggest you go to europe and talk to folks. It would be really eye opening for you. Specifically go see the Swiss. If I remember correctly all men between 20-35 are effectively in the military. But the military is much like a militia system. They keep their weapons at home at the ready 24-7. So there are tons of guns floating around.... Whats their violence rate?

My point is the ownership of guns is neither here nor there. I mean look at canada. Lots of shotguns everywhere. It's the mentallity of the people. So my question to you is.. Aside from arming yourself against government forcing something upoin you.. What are you doing to change the culutre of violence and instant gratification in our country?

therex
therex SuperDork
8/14/09 6:52 a.m.
ignorant wrote: Look man.. I shoot and used to own some guns. All I have left is some muzzleloading stuff at my parnents house. Hell, I even worked at the main remington arms factory for a while in the barrel shop as an engineering coop.. But.. Dude.. Saying you need to be armed to have value is crazy.

When did I say you had to be armed to have value? When you disarm a populace, when you take away the right to self defense, you make them subjects. The UK with their draconian (there's that word again) gun and knife laws (lord'vemercy!: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1023970/Woman-escapes-conviction-carrying-knife--spotted-handling-sausage.html) and their ASBOs and CCTV everywhere is swiftly circling into a police state.

ignorant wrote: I suggest you go to europe and talk to folks. It would be really eye opening for you. Specifically go see the Swiss. If I remember correctly all men between 20-35 are effectively in the military. But the military is much like a militia system. They keep their weapons at home at the ready 24-7. So there are tons of guns floating around.... Whats their violence rate?

The Swiss used to be a great example. They're still a pretty good one. They've got guys with assault rifles (proper safe-fire-rock'n'roll ones, not the politically-derived "assault weapons" that people E36 M3 their pants over here in the US) walking around grocery stores. And yet, blood doesn't run in the streets. How curious? So can we agree that number of guns in civilian hands does not cause crime, and that there maybe is some third, non-gun related factor that causes crime.

If this is the case, then you have to agree that civilian ownership is a good thing, as expanded individual freedom is always good, and if it doesn't hurt anyone else, then it's even better.

ignorant wrote: Aside from arming yourself against government forcing something upoin you.. What are you doing to change the culutre of violence and instant gratification in our country?

What am I doing to change the "culture of violence and instant gratification"? Not much. But looking at the past few years, it looks like I don't have to do much. Violent crime is at all time lows, while gun ownership is at all time highs. MY question is, what does infringing on my rights do to change this "cov&ig", and what is the real underlying cause of the "cov&ig"?

I could launch into a tirade here about how illegal immigration, lack of education, the epic fail known as the "War on Drugs", and state welfare institutions have spawned this so-called Culture of Violence and Instant Gratification, but my posts in this thread have been approaching tl;dr length as it is.

(p.s. "Aside from arming yourself against government forcing something upon you..." I don't know what you mean by this, but I lost all my guns in a tragic boating accident.)

Duke
Duke SuperDork
8/14/09 9:09 a.m.
ignorant wrote: you really gotta talk to them to understand it. If given the option to own the guns.. I don't think they would. It's a completely different culture.

What was that? Something about "blanket statements do not work"?

I have a bunch of friends in England who would disagree with you mightily - they are incredibly envious of American ownership/carry laws. I do know people in England who couldn't imagine it, true, but then again I know people in the States who can't imagine it, either.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Reader
8/14/09 2:25 p.m.
therex wrote: Wait, they had guns? B-but such guns are illegal in the UK!

Fixed it. Everyone happy?

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
8/14/09 3:10 p.m.
therex wrote: (p.s. "Aside from arming yourself against government forcing something upon you..." I don't know what you mean by this, but I lost all my guns in a tragic boating accident.)

Boating accident?

Joey

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
8/14/09 6:50 p.m.
therex wrote: If this is the case, then you have to agree that civilian ownership is a _good_ thing, as expanded individual freedom is always good, and if it doesn't hurt anyone else, then it's even better.

Wait.. Back up the truck.. Do you think I'm against the civilian ownership of firearms?

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
8/14/09 7:47 p.m.

How did this thread go from Jewel Heists, and Snatch quotes (the coolest things in existence), to government tyranny and debates over the right to bear arms?

PHeller
PHeller HalfDork
8/14/09 9:26 p.m.

haha...

Yeah, did anyone else notice that these bandits just kinda waltz right into this store driving a Merc and looking like they were straight out of GQ? Seriously cool.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qkt9QNPunZCsgOG8luNEYxYI7wfOQEznBLzT97MEEaHi1rH4VHoHyiV8AUhpH12K