1 2
bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
8/29/08 8:17 p.m.

Never had OS X before?

Best tip I can give ya: drag and drop. It's the solution to everything, if you can't find out how to do something, chances are you just drag and drop.

Don't waste any money on antivirus programs because they do nothing on this system. I don't have a tips page, but a quick search of the internet will help you there.

Welcome to the cult of Mac.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/29/08 8:23 p.m.

Here's the basic rundown:

1. Start up Mac Book
  2. Drag and drop files and folders.
  3. ???
  4. Profit!

Seriously, there's actually a pretty good "welcome to mac" tutorial that should have been built in to your computer. Go up to Help > Mac Help and you should be able to access some pretty good guided tours from there.

jg

jezeus
jezeus Reader
8/29/08 8:29 p.m.

...sorry

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Member
8/29/08 8:35 p.m.

Drag and drop. Also, the apple web site has some good tips on it.

Josh
Josh Reader
8/29/08 8:59 p.m.

And get a two button wireless mouse. The lack of right click on mac laptops is basically my only strike against them.

jpod999
jpod999 Reader
8/29/08 9:53 p.m.

Two finger scrolling is amazing. And to rectify Josh's point click [Apple logo]->System Preferences->Keyboard and Mouse->Trackpad->click checkbox that says: "For secondary clicks, place two fingers on trackpad then click the button". There's your right click. Set up hot corners for Expose options, it is SO nice that way. Get ready to actually like your computer.

Josh
Josh Reader
8/29/08 10:04 p.m.

Ooh, is that secondary click thing a new trick? I have never actually owned an apple laptop, but my dad has had a long series of them reaching back to a Powerbook 540c. In fact, he just told me his new MBP arrived today, I'll have to check this out when I get my hands on it.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/29/08 10:43 p.m.

Call me old school, but I still use a one-button mouse with my Mac. It's the only way I have used them for 20 years.

And yes, two-finger scrolling is cool.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
8/29/08 11:09 p.m.

okay, around till you get used to it, or find a microsoft emulator

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/29/08 11:10 p.m.

Huh, I've been scrolling with one finger on my Dell for a number of years now.

I never realized that adding another finger was such a big deal to you Mac-heads.

jpod999
jpod999 Reader
8/30/08 12:03 a.m.

Scrolling with one finger anywhere on the trackpad?

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/30/08 12:10 a.m.

Just the edge, but either way it isn't anything to get overly excited over.

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
8/30/08 7:41 a.m.

Plus, two-fingered zooming in and out works as well on programs like google maps with the trackpad. Try it.

Usually you find little quirks like this on accident, and you get excited because your computer life just got even easier.

I'm also a one-button mouse devotee.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Member
8/30/08 8:54 a.m.

I've always used two button mouses. I was never patient enough to hold the single button down.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
8/30/08 9:07 a.m.

You can also Ctrl-click for a right click when using the track pad. That is my preferred mode on the MacBook.

My desktop (iMac) has a Mighty Mouse, which is effectively a 4-button plus two-direction scroll mouse.

As has been mentioned, drag and drop is your friend. Also, if you can't figure out how to do something in about 30 seconds, do a quick google search. You'll probably find the answer on a forum in about a minute. There's no need to beat your head against a wall.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
8/30/08 10:24 a.m.

just plugin a standard PC usb mouse. It will work just fine, right click is just like on a pc, just that you lose the part where you squeez the mouse and everything downsizes and shows every open porgram

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
8/30/08 1:40 p.m.

^ Expose' is the name of that feature, which is one of the best things about OSX, in my opinion. You can remap it to another button or corner of the trackpad.

mpsii
mpsii
8/30/08 8:04 p.m.
InigoMontoya
InigoMontoya New Reader
8/31/08 11:47 a.m.

Also if you have an apple store near you their is the genius bar, they can also help you out getting to know the system, even transfer your files across for free from your pc.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/1/08 9:00 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: I got tired of my laptop crashing, so I just bought a Mac Book Pro.

Smacks Datsun1500 in the forehead

Coulda had a Linux box!

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
9/1/08 9:36 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
Datsun1500 wrote: I got tired of my laptop crashing, so I just bought a Mac Book Pro.
*Smacks Datsun1500 in the forehead* Coulda had a Linux box!

come to think about it, when my laptop was crashing a year ago I just backed up what I needed and wiped it clean and reloaded windows. Not a problem since.

carguy123
carguy123 HalfDork
9/1/08 9:58 a.m.

You've just got your first Mac and want to know what to do with it, just enjoy it.

With the Mac all you have to do is let it work for you, you no longer work for it! There is no longer the need for all the other upkeep and maintenance that is required on a PC. I have one PC and 4 Macs and I still spend 70% of my time doing all the little things necessary to get a PC up and running and keeping it running.

A one button mouse is all you'll need. PC world needed a 2 button mouse but with the Mac OS you don't need it.

mpsii
mpsii New Reader
9/3/08 11:05 a.m.

^^^ 2 button mice a are still nice to have.

Besides, you can run Windows inside your Mac with VirtualBox...

carguy123
carguy123 HalfDork
9/3/08 12:56 p.m.

You don't even need Virtual Box it's a standard feature of the OS.

Does Virtual Box let you run both at the same time? The OS is an either or thing.

If it does let you run both at the same time how much does it slow things down. That would let me get rid of my last PC

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
9/3/08 12:58 p.m.

Boot Camp (built into OS X) lets you boot into OS X or Windows (or Linux, for that matter). Parallels lets you run both at the same time. It runs at native speeds, as far as I can tell, but you need a buttload of RAM to run two OSs at once and get much done. I use parallels a lot. It's good stuff--if you've got the RAM.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k2lDevwr4mg10OWJ3T4nRpTW0j3abFUlVERhRHMgEIKyZdBRTa6tf9se2QI4ruOh