1 2
93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UberDork
9/23/24 1:59 p.m.

Many lulz are provided by the gents offering Cayennes and Monteros and Suzukis as options for unsupported offroading where reliability is just as important as anything.  

Sure they check all the boxes in theory, when you need a new brake caliper in the middle of BFE on a Saturday afternoon do you want to be rolling into the Autozone looking for Mitsubishi Montero parts or Chevy Silverado parts?

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/23/24 2:22 p.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

I don't think a couple of hours from home can be classified as unsupported. That's one InReach message from a tow service. I've limped out of the woods and home that far with a brake line crimped off with a Vice-Grip. 

I do recommend carrying some kind of communications device if you are headed off the beaten path and out of cell service. I carry a Garmin InReach Mini. It can call anything from emergency services to a friend with the ability and willingness to bring parts or a trailer. 

Scott_H
Scott_H Reader
9/23/24 2:43 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to docwyte :

I wouldn't call the 4Runner a "soft roader", that term is usually used to refer to the CUVs that depend on traction control more than 4WD and suspension articulation. Not gonna argue that a fully locked Wrangler is better, but 4Runners and their ilk will go much further than, say, a CX5 or CRV. Most of the advantage the aforementioned Rubicon has is in the front and rear diffs. Most of my CO/UT wheeling was in a truck with open diffs at each end.

If most of the camping is done in a tent, you've got a huge range of vehicular options and as long as you stay away from the CUVs and stick with 4WD you'll be able to get just about anywhere you want. You might not be able to take the toughest route to get there, but that's okay.  Given the budget, you'll also be able to get something pretty nice.

This is very true and why the Jeeps over the years have consistently performed in the off road world.  That said, lockers are common as OE on 4Runners and FJs.  The advent of better traction control systems have made lockers not quite as necessary as they used to be.  The photo I posted in UT telling the AWD vehicles to stay out is there because of deep and endless sand.  The trails follow this creek back a few miles to a slot canyon.  Tires, a little bit of ground clearance, and some way to keep all of the wheels spinning together will get you to that slot canyon.    

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/23/24 2:44 p.m.

Too bad you've already moved. Pasco county has your solution. Plenty of $$ leftover for repairs/upgrades.

https://www.facebook.com/share/6wpA9PyLfPuJ5B6k/

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dcHz7kgO6aoSwL2ATk3QCU2azYYXF0M2atCminqLxU6CIK6vYr0wtz2BP2IKrukq