1 2 3 4 ... 6
EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
2/5/12 9:14 p.m.

WHAT?!? Can't a girl get her PLUS on around here? Hell, I plussed your's too.

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
2/5/12 9:18 p.m.
Derick Freese wrote: In reply to Taiden: Yeah, around here, 20ft is a "large" elevation change.

I think that the highest points are the overpasses on 95...going to the Ft. Lauderdale Airport.

I'll put in a plug for TN, east of Nashville.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
Taiden wrote: NC is rough. They have everything you could ever want in the state, but it's all pretty far from eachother. Charlotte has a crazy car scene. Everything is new. It's one of the most 'up and coming' places in the USA and definitely the South East. It's very comfortable. I hope you like barbeque and NASCAR. Or at least barbecue. The Outer Banks have amazing beaches/dunes/vacation. Raleigh/Durham have awesome college sports rivalries, history, heritage, etc. Riches culture in NC for sure. Asheville is right in the mountains. You've never seen mountains until you hit blue ridge parkway. It's a pretty weird, mixed, hippy/conservative, funky place. I've heard it described as a Portland, OR in the mountains with a twang. I've never been though. Wilmington is probably the best party scene, but there are a lot of military men there. This can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your wants and needs. I would not settle for anything less than NC. I'm convinced it's the best state in the union. If it were me, it'd probably be somewhere outside of Matthews, NC.

The appalachians are not mountains. They are hills. Spend some time in the Sierras and Rockies and then tell me that the east has mountains. That said, there is some amount of beauty in the east. Just too many people.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork

I really like the Raleigh/Durham area. I have been there 3 times for work and in between the last two times they finally got decent beer. Something about repealing a law that disallowed beers over 3.2abv or somesuch.

There is a really cool bar with 40 or so different beers on tap in those really cool old brick tobacco warehouses across from the Durham Bulls stadium that I could visit every day.

If it wasn't for the way they pronounce my first name I really think I could relocate there. Seriously I would have to change my name to deal with it.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork

Am I the only one that thought this was a sex-ed post?
I'm not sure if I've ever been more disappointed......

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
2/5/12 9:22 p.m.

I love living in Huntsville. There is a local car scene with autocrossing, drag racing, circle track all in the town. Little Talladega, Barber Motorsports park, Nashville super speedway (which has an infield course) are not very far away.

Also we have hockey!

Taiden
Taiden SuperDork
2/5/12 9:27 p.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote:
Taiden wrote: stuff
The appalachians are not mountains. They are hills. Spend some time in the Sierras and Rockies and then tell me that the east has mountains. That said, there is some amount of beauty in the east. Just too many people.

No no, your terminology is wrong. Vermont has hills, western NC/eastern TN has mountains, Sierras/Rockies are jagged death, Himalayas are gods middle finger to man.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Reader
2/5/12 9:27 p.m.
Zomby woof wrote: Mississippi is one of the places that I really like the look of. Not that I know anything about it.

Desoto County. Coldest winter gets is ~20, fast growing area. Holly Springs has a drag strip. Memphis has MIR.

I lived in nearby Tate Co. It and Marshall Co. are pretty rural compared to Desoto. If you go further south the weather gets better but the motorsports options dry up.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/5/12 9:32 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: Am I the only one that thought this was a sex-ed post? I'm not sure if I've ever been more disappointed......

Yeah, I +1'd it.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill SuperDork
2/5/12 9:47 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote:
DrBoost wrote: Am I the only one that thought this was a sex-ed post? I'm not sure if I've ever been more disappointed......
Yeah, I +1'd it.

If you go south, there's a lot of dirt roads.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Reader
2/5/12 9:56 p.m.

Lived all my life in NC & I'm one of the older members on this forum. I expect I'll die here.

I like the state a lot . Spent & mis-spent my childhood & youth in Central NC (Lee County & Oange Co.) Have been 40 miles east of Raleigh since '75.

I'd probably avoid anywhere east of Raleigh if I had it to do over again. Eastern NC is still sorta backwards. Race still matters here to a degree ( & I don't mean that in a positive way). Before you decide on a particular location, check out the demographics.

Beaches are great but they're only 2-3 hours from Greensboro & points east & can be a practical day trip from Raleigh/Durham/Sanford & points east. Summers in eastern NC are sometimes rather oppressive. Snow is uncommon,none here so far this year, but freezing rain/sleet or an ice storm can knock us on our asses for 1-10 days.

VIR is only 2 hr 15 minutes from my house.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
2/5/12 10:30 p.m.
Desoto County. Coldest winter gets is ~20, fast growing area. Holly Springs has a drag strip. Memphis has MIR. I lived in nearby Tate Co. It and Marshall Co. are pretty rural compared to Desoto. If you go further south the weather gets better but the motorsports options dry up.

Southaven is where most of Memphis moved. North Mississippi gets snow every once in awhile, Central MS (where I am) hardly ever. N MS gets more Motorsports options, we get... well, none. Plenty of nice people, plenty of empty spaces....

EastCoastMojo
2/5/12 10:45 p.m.

But when we do get snow, the misquitos aren't that bad.

EastCoastMojo
2/5/12 10:48 p.m.

ditchdigger wrote:

I really like the Raleigh/Durham area. I have been there 3 times for work and in between the last two times they finally got decent beer. Something about repealing a law that disallowed beers over 3.2abv or somesuch.

There is a really cool bar with 40 or so different beers on tap in those really cool old brick tobacco warehouses across from the Durham Bulls stadium that I could visit every day.

If it wasn't for the way they pronounce my first name I really think I could relocate there. Seriously I would have to change my name to deal with it.

dItch. DItch. diTCH. Hell, I'll call ya Mitch. How 'bout a beer, Mitch?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/5/12 10:53 p.m.
Taiden wrote:
Teh E36 M3 wrote:
Taiden wrote: stuff
No no, your terminology is wrong. Vermont has hills, western NC/eastern TN has mountains, Sierras/Rockies are jagged death, Himalayas are gods middle finger to man.

the rockies are what the appalacians were a few million years ago. They are one of the oldest mountain chains in the world.. so are a bit worn down.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
2/5/12 11:06 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: dItch. DItch. diTCH. Hell, I'll call ya Mitch. How 'bout a beer, Mitch?

LOL!

It would usually go like this.

Hello! My name is Trent

They would reply "Treyantuh?"

I would say Nope, Just Trent actually. Only one syllable no need to waste breath trying to jam any extras in there.

"Tuh-ray-ant?"

Oh...so close, Sure I guess.

Nice to meet you Tuh-ray-ant.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan Dork
2/5/12 11:10 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote:
EastCoastMojo wrote: dItch. DItch. diTCH. Hell, I'll call ya Mitch. How 'bout a beer, Mitch?
LOL! It would usually go like this. Hello! My name is Trent They would reply "Treyantuh?" I would say Nope, Just Trent actually. Only one syllable no need to waste breath trying to jam any extras in there. "Tuh-ray-ant?" Oh...so close, Sure I guess. Nice to meet you Tuh-ray-ant.

Hahaha! You'd have to deal with that as far north as Maryland, Tuh-ray-ant.

Grizz
Grizz Dork
2/5/12 11:29 p.m.
MG Bryan wrote: Hahaha! You'd have to deal with that as far north as Maryland, Tuh-ray-ant.

I shall call Tuh-ray-ant Steeve, as I can pro-nounce it.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
2/5/12 11:43 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:
patgizz wrote: as a northerner, here is my perspective. the south is scary. people have less teeth than i do. they speak in tongues, i can't understand a thing they say. they fear change and hate people from the north, and still blame us because they can't own people to work for them anymore. they also hate catalytic converters, non budweiser beer, they all drive trucks with at least 12 inches of lift that have confederate flags on them, and the entire state of georgia smells like a landfill for some reason. and if someone is offended by that, they do not have a sense of humor.
You forgot about the inbreeding

People like you two are the reason Southerners hate interlopers from the north.

<------ A transplanted Yankee who has lived in GA for a few decades. And our landfills, IF you can smell them, still have a fragrance more pleasant than your elderberries.

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
2/6/12 12:14 a.m.

We have been in Greenville, SC five years and love every bit of it. Two hours (easy) and you're in Charlotte. Two hours and you're in Atlanta. A bit over two and you're at CMP. Long enough from the coast that hurricanes are dead, far enough from the plains that tornadoes don't bother us, mountains right nearby, skiing a few hours away, ocean a few hours away. Greenville itself is great, too. Great downtown - cheap too. Taxes are silly low.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Reader
2/6/12 7:25 a.m.
DoctorBlade wrote: Southaven is where most of Memphis moved. North Mississippi gets snow every once in awhile, Central MS (where I am) hardly ever. N MS gets more Motorsports options, we get... well, none. Plenty of nice people, plenty of empty spaces....

Yeah but the worst part of Memphis stayed in Memphis. It does snow but it never was more than a couple of inches and it didn't stay long. But if OP is considering Northern Arkansas then he must be prepared for some stray north-like winter weather.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill SuperDork
2/6/12 7:36 a.m.

the rockies are what the appalacians were a few million years ago. They are one of the oldest mountain chains in the world.. so are a bit worn down.

That's called "patina".

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
2/6/12 7:39 a.m.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde HalfDork
2/6/12 7:39 a.m.

I'll throw in a vote for Georgia, although I may be biased! Cost of living is cheaper than most, and if you don't mind being rural then it can be about the ceapest around.

If I was really looking for cheap land with access to motorsports activity, I'd be looking in South eastern GA between Savanna and Valdosta.

Why, you ask? Okay, savannah has Roebling Road, a nice road course that has a lot of well-run open track events. valdosta has South Georgia Motorsports park - a paved oval and 1/4 mile facility that often hosts autox. And speaking of AutoX, that is the home region of Dixie Region SCCA who run some of the best put together, friendliest events I've ever run. They often run them at the old airfield in the little town of Moultrie - which is in the geographic area I mentioned. Also at that airfield there is a parts swap and show twice a year that is ridiculously large. Like, really. Huge.

Land is cheap, people are friendly, and if you want any convenience known to man, you have interstate access to Savannah (and the beach) or Atlanta (and all the craigslist goodness). And you'd be surprised how many amenities most of the rural south GA towns are starting to provide for shopping/dining/etc. Want to run the Callenge? Hop on ol' I75 for a 3 hour run to Gainsville.

It's a pretty good area as long as you can tolerate the mosquitos (which make the one picture above look tiny), the gnats, and the snakes.

EDIT: oh yeah, it's a little warm in the summer. From march ish to November. Ish.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/6/12 7:45 a.m.
patgizz wrote: as a northerner, here is my perspective. the south is scary. people have less teeth than i do. they speak in tongues, i can't understand a thing they say. they fear change and hate people from the north, and still blame us because they can't own people to work for them anymore. they also hate catalytic converters, non budweiser beer, they all drive trucks with at least 12 inches of lift that have confederate flags on them,

You've been to Columbus too, eh?

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
U1DS9mDngV1gFv0wBguS89NAmv8ZimPV7KyxWJIakaSk1Md396rXrYoz6FPVf0Gt