1 ... 4 5 6
spitfirebill
spitfirebill SuperDork
2/9/12 7:29 a.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: I may head down to the area around the Boone, NC area for a Miata tour this year. It looks like a nice area. Anybody on this board from that area?

Buzz by the Mast General Store in Valle Crucis. Its the original one.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Reader
2/9/12 9:13 a.m.
curtis73 wrote: As you go west (and away from the Atlantic's influence) you get more temperate climates. TX gets some hot summers; 100+, but very low humidity.

The low humidity really only applies to parts of Texas away from the Gulf Coast, like central, DFW area, and west Texas(HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL!!! WOOO). I grew up in Houston and humidity is one of the main reasons I would not move back there. Well, that and its so damn flat. I basically wouldn't move anywhere along the Gulf Coast... Nowhere.

When I was a kid/teenager I would have never considered central or west Texas because of how rural it is. But now that I am in my 30s and hate traffic, I wouldn't mind it if I could find a job out there.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
2/9/12 2:40 p.m.

I also vote Huntsville. It is really a nice place to live, and centrally located to numerous tracks within a days drive. Taxes are low, various large hills they call mountains, plenty of watersports, and a population made up folks from all over the country. It is unlike most other cities in the south.

Contrary to what was said earlier, it is definitely not going away if or when NASA falls. We are getting a substantial increase due to BRAC, and now are far removed from a NASA only town. We are now the world's leader in microbiology for instance, and most people would be astounded at what really goes on here in terms of technology. Also for instance, both 93EXCivic and myself both work in the mining industry of sorts. You also have some of the leading technology in communications development out of here too. If you're an engineer or scientist, there aren't too many better places.

And last but not least, we have 3 national championships in 3 years (2 Alabama, 1 Auburn) and 2 Heisman trophies!

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
2/9/12 3:15 p.m.

In reply to racerdave600:

I agree NASA is not the main thing in Hunstville. It is a big thing, but if Marshall Space Flight Center closed its doors there would still be Engineering and Scientific opportunities in Huntsville.

I enjoyed living there, it is large enough that there are things going on and things to do, but not too big. It is not typical Alabama due to the fact that people have come there from all over for the jobs. Typical Alabama is only a short drive in any direction though.

The economy is heavily dependent on government spending though. Between Redstone Arsenal, NASA, MDA and others it definitely is an area that is prosperous in a large part because people in other cities and states pay their taxes. The summers are hot, humid, and long and there are tornados in the spring and the fall. Overall, a good place.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
2/9/12 8:38 p.m.

I'm another vote for Huntsville. Moving here was the best thing I did, for me and my family. And 93EXCivic is right, NASA isn't everything here but actually they just changed focus. Plus there is potentially more BRAC moving here to Redstone Arsenal. That's what got me here in the first place. Plus all the other tech here. I've heard it put that Huntsville is becoming Silicon Valley South. And besides, there aren't many places you can live and have real rocket scientists as friends. And the car scene is big here. racerdave600 & TJ are right about this place, enough diversity that it really isn't like the stereotypical Alabama but that is only a short drive away.

MarkZ28
MarkZ28 New Reader
2/9/12 10:09 p.m.

Go to http://hsvracing.com/phpBB2/index.php for the local car scene and the drama in the Huntsville areas.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
2/10/12 6:13 a.m.
Taiden wrote: OH and for what it's worth, I would not wish Florida on my worst enemies.

I would, that's why they call them enemies. What a E36 M3hole.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
2/10/12 6:21 a.m.
Per Schroeder wrote:
Taiden wrote: OH and for what it's worth, I would not wish Florida on my worst enemies.
I would, that's why they call them enemies. What a E36 M3hole.

Traitor!

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
2/10/12 12:21 p.m.

Thanks for all the great info. I expected a few responses, not 6 pages.

I liked central/north Florida area when I was there, particularly the rural areas. I've probably been to Florida a dozen times, all over the state. It is a 2 day drive, which I guess isn't bad, but closer would be nicer. North Carolina was really nice. I raced in Maxton, and Hickory, and really liked the Maxton area. I think my favourite place is still Arkansas. It looked just like where we like to vacation up here, but it's hot. The Barbecue was good too. I like rural, and when I say rural, I mean the quieter, and more remote, the better. I would imagine every state has that, just some more than others. Even Kentucky, and Tennessee were quite nice, and the weather's likely a lot better than here (maybe not this year).

The only thing I'll have to do is drag Mrs Woof down there, so she can see just how nice it is. She loves the hot, loves the rural, but even growing up where tolerance is the rule, she has a real anti south bias. Just the mention of Arkansas, and the jokes start. I'll usually make some really nasty racial comment, then try and draw the parallel, but she doesn't get it. Must be her German background. (see what I did there?).

ScottyB
ScottyB New Reader
2/10/12 5:45 p.m.

i was born and raised in Pennsylvania and relocated to Roanoke, Virginia with family when i was 18. i had a number of dumb stereotypes in my teenage head from growing up with what I assume is a typical northern attitude of superiority over, and misunderstanding of the south. turns out i loved it down there. sure, i get homesick for my old PA neighborhoods every now and then but i have no plans to go back above the Mason Dixon ever again if i can help it.

Roanoke VA - lived there for 6 years in high school/college and my parents still live there. i love to go home to visit the place and it has everything to offer an outdoorsman but skiing. wonderful scenery, nice schools, great driving roads. seems to be getting bigger and bigger, as every time i go back i find the traffic to be worse. its pretty much a large town, not really what i'd call a city, but there's still a few cool things to do in town. snow can be bad but its usually ice, which is worse with all of the steep terrain. otherwise nice weather and the autumns are gorgeous.

Atlanta GA - spent 5 years there. i'm just not a city guy so i'll try to give a fair evaluation, but honestly i couldn't wait to leave. the traffic is mind-bendingly bad, and its not necessarily because of congestion, its because nobody can drive for E36 M3 and/or their cars are falling apart around them. massive suburban sprawl. the summers will wilt your soul and pollen blows across the street like snow drifts in spring. that said, there's tons to do, its amazingly easy to access the GA mountains for outdoors enjoyment and driving fun, and the car culture is great with road atlanta, barber MSP, and roebling all within easy access. lots of diverse people and living styles. i found utilities and necessities to be pretty cheap, and housing/property is still rife with bargains. i absolutely loved GA in the spring, just beautiful.

Carrboro NC - currently live here, i'm just outside of Chapel Hill. so far my favorite place to live, and if i'm still here 10 years from now i wouldn't be surprised. in echoing what everyone else has said about NC, its really does have everything and its all pretty easy to access. its rural enough to get away from the mobs but there's plenty to do between 3 major urban areas (CH, Raleigh, Durham) and there are plenty of really close areas to get out and enjoy biking or watersports. BBQ in its most pure fashion. we're surrounded by great tracks with VIR being an 1-1/2 hour drive. 2-1/2 hours to the beach, 3 to the mountains and both are gorgeous. i've found the cost of living to be a pretty big step up from Atlanta and i was really surprise at how terrible traffic is on the I-40 corridor. People here are friendly and although Carrboro itself is a pretty weird little town, Chapel Hill is just peaceful and really enjoyable to walk around.

Greenville SC - tossing this one out there since I lived there for 4 months on an internship 8 years ago. really dug the place. it just had a charm i couldn't shake, and although i don't know that i'd live there it was a great visit. close to the highlands of SC and being right on the I-85 makes travel easy. downtown area had lots of neat places to eat and hang out. i recall people being very welcoming as well.

FlightService
FlightService SuperDork
2/11/12 5:38 p.m.

since you are looking for a rural area, I would avoid South Carolina like the plague. I know there are quite a few people here who disagree but I lived in rural South Carolina before I lived here.

Just go to the area you are interested in and see for yourself.

Western NC and NW Florida are nice choices. Now is a great time to buy in Florida. Get lots of land cheap

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
2/11/12 6:35 p.m.
The only thing I'll have to do is drag Mrs Woof down there, so she can see just how nice it is. She loves the hot, loves the rural, but even growing up where tolerance is the rule, she has a real anti south bias. Just the mention of Arkansas, and the jokes start. I'll usually make some really nasty racial comment, then try and draw the parallel, but she doesn't get it. Must be her German background. (see what I did there?).

Ya know, I started to do the same thing when someone started in with the inbreeding crap earlier. But I figured if I said "plus, there's no black folks here, and since them black folks are all stupid, lazy, violent crackheads, that's a good thing!" - But I figured nobody would get it.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
2/11/12 7:33 p.m.
Zomby woof wrote: The only thing I'll have to do is drag Mrs Woof down there, so she can see just how nice it is. She loves the hot, loves the rural, but even growing up where tolerance is the rule, she has a real anti south bias. Just the mention of Arkansas, and the jokes start. I'll usually make some really nasty racial comment, then try and draw the parallel, but she doesn't get it. Must be her German background. (see what I did there?).

Well, the problem is that there are still "folks like that" (the sources of the stereotypes, not yer wife! ) out in the sticks. I personally think that there's no more or less of them here than there are in other parts of the country, but those other parts of the country hasn't had so many years of those stereotypes being reinforced in media. I still recall the fit (no pun intended) my ex-Father in law threw when I finally talked his daughter into buying a Honda (they're from Indianapolis). My reply was that since folks from "up North" had been treating my people like E36 M3 for 140yrs., a car from Detroit was just as "foreign" to me as one from Stuttgart or Osaka. Weird male bonding moment..we actually got along pretty well after that.

Main cultural difference you'll find..Southern people are slightly like the Japanese. To us, there is a big difference between "politeness" (willing to help/offering honest friendship/etc.) and "courtesy" (not saying what you really think to someone you just can't stand for the sake of social harmony). As my grandmother used to say, "Good Manners are the grease that allows the gears of society to turn."

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
2/11/12 7:42 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
Ya know, I started to do the same thing when someone started in with the inbreeding crap earlier. But I figured if I said "plus, there's no black folks here, and since them black folks are all stupid, lazy, violent crackheads, that's a good thing!" - But I figured nobody would get it.

Sounds like the Randy Newman song Rednecks

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
2/11/12 7:46 p.m.

We Southerners are raised to be polite. But never mistake politeness for being stupid or a sign of weakness. Anyone from anywhere who understands that and reciprocates will get along just fine down here.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
2/11/12 8:51 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: We Southerners are raised to be polite. But never mistake politeness for being stupid or a sign of weakness. Anyone from anywhere who understands that and reciprocates will get along just fine down here.

GD right.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
2/11/12 10:29 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: We Southerners are raised to be polite. But never mistake politeness for being stupid or a sign of weakness. Anyone from anywhere who understands that and reciprocates will get along just fine down here.

QFT. I was raised to consider how long you could go without losing your polite (or at least, your courteous) tone of voice as a measure of strength. I still recall the first time my dad cussed me out for getting into a fight at school. "..Boy, you got too angry too soon!"

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte HalfDork
2/11/12 10:57 p.m.

Born southern , raised yankee . Mind your manners.

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
2/11/12 11:01 p.m.

Agreed..born in Atlanta and have lived in every state that I-75 runs through (with the exception of Kentucky). Never forgot my manners.

iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
2/12/12 9:46 a.m.

Some parts of Texas are nice, other parts not so. Like around Wichita Falls.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter SuperDork
2/12/12 10:56 a.m.

Well, here's different perspective, from someone who grew up in the rural south, got the hell out as soon as possible. I'm probably going to offend some here....

If I never had to step foot in north Louisiana again, it'd be fine by me. The same goes, truthfully, for much of the rural south. Most of the stereotypes are correct. The rural south generally trails the rest of the nation badly on education, health care, and general quality of living.

And southern manners are highly overrated. Personally -- and I've lived just about everywhere -- I've found midwesterners to be the most polite, and the upper west (Montana, for example) to be the most friendly and helpful.

There are bright spots, though. Much of Northwest Arkansas really is very nice. Anything south of Little Rock is probably a dump, but the northwest part is beautiful, better educated, and although there's still plenty of poverty, it's much better off than other parts of the state.

I've only visited North Carolina briefly (Raleigh/Cary area) but thought it was very nice.

I liked some parts of Florida. Others, not so much. Awfully flat though.

Savannah looks to me like a beautiful city, and I hope to visit sometime. There's some other parts of Georgia that seem OK to me, too.

And as mentioned above, some parts of Texas are pretty nice.

Which all seems to be a long-winded way of saying, it's not so much which state, as where in the state.

Louisiana and Mississippi have very little motorsports scene. Even Nascar doesn't have a big hold there. It's all about the football.

As for racism, yeah, it's there. But personally, I kinda prefer southern racism -- where they're much more open and honest about it -- to northern racism, where they try to candy-coat it.

ahutson03
ahutson03 Reader
2/12/12 12:56 p.m.

I'm from the Atlanta area but moved to coastal NC (morehead city/atlantic beach) a year and a half ago due to transfer (I'm one of those awful military guys haha) from St Petersburg FL. North Carolina would be great for my family if there was an easier way to get around the state. It takes just as much time to drive to visit family in atl or FL as it would to take a trip to the mountains. Raleigh is the closest real city to us at 2.5 hrs away, we actually drove the Austin there for cars and coffee and a concert last weekend. Wilmington is 1.5 hrs away and is a good town. Not near as much military as farther east where we are, but it is a college town. Another gripe we have had here is health care. It seems to be stuck back 20 years compared to the care my wife received in Florida. I don't know if this helped at all bur we will be finishing our tour here next summer and putting NC in our rear view mirror gladly, hopefully pacific northwest bound. And hopefully not in the immediate vicinity of a marine base ever again, good luck

1 ... 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V3b9MzY1XijVATqJwZG2M5BMGVtSt26S2y5o3bdaFiJLxgxsK8SAsvUWM0eWj9mO