1 2 3
Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
12/16/15 8:12 a.m.

I keep looking them and I really like the idea.

That and I have a $100 Visa Gift Card to burn.

I've seen that Craftsman, Gearwrench, Kobalt, Husky, etc all offer them now.

Questions are: which brand is "best" and do I want the flexy heads?

Pics...just because

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/16/15 8:26 a.m.

I have craftsman ones with non-flexy heads and think they are pretty much the best car tool ever.

I'm sure most brands on each tier will be of similar quality (but will have their loud supporters and detractors). I like the lifetime warranty of craftsman, but to be honest I have probably waranteed less than 5 tools in 12 years. I also am not a pro, just a garage hack.

classicJackets
classicJackets Reader
12/16/15 8:29 a.m.

I'm certainly not the best authority, but I have Gearwrench ones and I like them a lot. Lots of people will say not to bother getting a set unless they have the lever to switch direction (cause it is a pain having to think about it each time you get the wrench on a hard to reach bolt) and that's what I'll do next time I buy. They're a wonderful thing to have and at the prices some of them are offered I don't think you can really lose.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/16/15 8:31 a.m.

My belief is no on floppy heads-maybe your second set. Kobalt has a lifetime warranty, and is coming on strong. Make sure the head is small, and if there is a switching mechanism, make sure it won't be switched by use.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/16/15 8:34 a.m.

The guy who works on my Corolla (for certain values of "works") has some with non-flexy heads and the direction-switching levers at his shop, they're very handy.

wae
wae Dork
12/16/15 8:36 a.m.

I've got a floppy-headed Craftsman set and a fixed Gearwrench set and I love them both. Neither one has a direction-switching lever and I don't find that to be a problem. The flexy-headed wrenches do have a lever to lock and un-lock the flexy-ness and that can be a real PITA.

For some jobs, the flex-head is absolutely required and in others, it just makes the overall footprint of the tool too large.

My Gearwrench set also has the funny open-ended modification so that it will sort of work like a ratchet on that end too and I'm a fan of how that works.

johndej
johndej Reader
12/16/15 8:46 a.m.

I only have a 10 mm I bought as a must have tool for swapping fenders on my miata. Came in real handy reaching the front bolt behind the headlight. Asking for a full set for xmas so this is good info.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
12/16/15 8:49 a.m.

Right now I'm leaning towards the 20 piece gearwrench kit.. $45 http://www.craftsman.com/gearwrench-20pc-combination-ratcheting-wrench-set-sae-mm/p-00935720000P?TecPara=173_

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
12/16/15 9:11 a.m.

You can always etch the rotation on the wrench body....

The levered ones are good for when you need some offset based on the ones I normally see. The floppy heads would be practical in all the nominal sizes for your brand of car.

Now I'm going to have to hit up Sears for that set and gift them to myself with someone's else's name on them....

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
12/16/15 9:15 a.m.

A 20 pc set for $45 is a bargain. Even if "lifetime warranty" translates to "until we're bankrupt." I have a set of the fixed head with switch, and I bought one flex head 14mm to do one single bolt on the starter on a LS400. It was faster to drive down to the store, buy the wrench, and drive back than to take everything else off that I would have had to do to get the bolt out.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
12/16/15 9:16 a.m.

I have the grearwrench ones and they've been great. No flippy switches or anything.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
12/16/15 9:17 a.m.

I have both the flexi head and flip switch versions.

Love them. They're gear wrench brand. I grab my flip switch set before any other tool most of the time. The flexi head version im not teal fond of. Just don't like them, so they live in my crash bag.

Ross413
Ross413 New Reader
12/16/15 9:19 a.m.

Get them. They make everything easier... I have Gearwrench in switching and non switching and a floppy headed set and a stubby set. They really do make things easier. I have only had to warranty two in almost 10 years(5 every day use)

Hit them with some compressed air and lube every once in a while to be nice to them and they wont quit.

Thanks Ross

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/16/15 9:37 a.m.

+1 on the "they make everything easier". The mechanism makes them a tad bulkier than a normal wrench, so keep an eye out for that - I have a set of cheap HF ones and they're not very usable because of that. The mechanism on the two sets of bluepoint ones I have (one regular size, one set stubby) is noticeably smaller and they're much more versatile as a result.

java230
java230 Reader
12/16/15 9:39 a.m.

I think I have a husky set. Non floppy head, no lever. they are AWESOME! Thats all. seriously get any set and you will love them.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
12/16/15 9:42 a.m.

Well, I just did the online order for the 20 piece I posted. Can't seem to beat that price. the craftsman set was $2 more, but I've been losing trust in them.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
12/16/15 9:48 a.m.

I have a set of the Husky non-floppy non-switchable wrenches and love them. Super handy.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
12/16/15 9:53 a.m.

Early version Craftsman non-flop non-switch double ended. I like them, but wish they had switches. Sometimes it can take a minute to get the wrench into a tight spot and over a bolt, only to have it facing the wrong direction.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb HalfDork
12/16/15 9:59 a.m.

I have several gearwrench sets, some reversible, some floppy headed. If I had to choose i would go with floppy headed. But there aren't any bad options.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
12/16/15 10:03 a.m.

Gearwrench non-floppy in my work tool box, rarely need to use sockets anymore. Did break a 9/16 once but that was w/ a cheater, replaced free at store.

Craftsman floppy set hanging on peg board in garage, they only get used when ya need floppy.

Bought all on sale w/ added internet discount, pick up at Sears store 30 minutes later.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/16/15 10:08 a.m.

I have a number of sets. My favorite are early Gearwrench reversible type in SAE. They have a lip on the box end so the wrench doesn't fall past the nut when tightening something on a long stud or bolt. For better or worse, all the newer sets I have lack this, although that does allow different position options when working in tight areas.

I also have a set of long ratcheting double-box end wrenches with an off-set box end to access recessed nuts and bolts. A real time saver when working on transverse FWD cars: http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/platinum-99650-P165350.aspx

The Hoff
The Hoff UltraDork
12/16/15 10:32 a.m.

I own Gearwrench, Craftsman, and Matco ratcheting box ends and all work great. The ratcheting mechanism on my 13mm Gearwrench is wonky at times though. That's after years of professional use (abuse).

My favorite is the Matco set with the flex head. But at $400 a set, not DIY friendly.

They should all have lifetime warranties, so jump on the best deal.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
12/16/15 10:34 a.m.

I have the non-switch gearwrench set, I dont tend to have a problem with the direction. The easy thing is to remember which way to let the open ended end face for your direction of ratcheting.

I got mine cheap years ago on black friday at sears with my employee discount on top of it (worked there at the time). I probably just about use it more than my socket set, unlike the hardly use it of the non-ratcheting ones. (I keep the non-ratcheters around and treat them like a breaker bar for higher stress situations)

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls UberDork
12/16/15 10:34 a.m.

I have been in the situation a dozen times where I backed myself into an obstruction with the non reversible type and wasn't able to free the wrench, resulting in hours of disassembly or sometimes a cutoff wheel to "fix" the issue.

I am strongly pro reversible type. But yeah ratcheting wrenches are some of the greatest things ever. I really want some stubby flex heads next. I keep eyeing them on the snapon truck but can't bring myself to splash out that much cash on such a limited use item.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/16/15 10:45 a.m.

Don't treat them like a regular wrench or ratchet. The small ones won't take the torque. If you don't try to he man gorilla twist things on, they'll work well.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cr2XrVMJHT6PhrFfuspSQV9W6KYEx06bQeaMIYf59vszX8uRWIvH8SbwzIAW70aP