Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/15/15 2:04 p.m.

Ha ha, I broke the thread with italics.

Velveeta? What are you, a 1%er?

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
9/15/15 2:06 p.m.

Grilled peanut butter sounds pretty close to what killed Elvis.

His was grilled peanut butter and banana, we bought a refrigerator magnet of the recipe many years ago during a trip to Graceland. The ex thought it was great, I couldn't get down with it.

Burrito
Burrito Dork
9/15/15 2:22 p.m.

I'm a big fan of the Alton Brown Method, but I'm usually way too lazy to commit to that.

I'm with Ditchdigger on the butter in the pan, not on the bread. Crispier crust and less oil soaked makes for a better grilled cheese. Use Pugliese or a rustic Sourdough. Good cheese, usually a sharp cheddar if I'm making a "traditional" sandwich.

The best grilled cheese I've ever made was with the Alton Brown Method on Pugliese with thick cut bacon (pre-cooked, obviously), fresh jalapeno, and those Laughing Cow swiss wedges. It was like a big, crunchy jalapeno popper.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
9/15/15 3:08 p.m.

I did not expect 53 replies. I bet I know what most of you are having for dinner tonight.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/15/15 3:09 p.m.
Jerry wrote: I did not expect 53 replies. I bet I know what most of you are having for dinner tonight.

I'm having steak. Did you guess that?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/15/15 3:09 p.m.

Chicken and rice.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/15/15 3:10 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: Grilled peanut butter sounds pretty close to what killed Elvis.

If it kills me I hope one of you shows up at my wake, hugs my wife and tells her I died doing what I love.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
9/15/15 3:20 p.m.

Some peanut butter and some actual butter melted on an english muffin.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/15/15 3:26 p.m.

I had grilled cheese with slices of green apple in it, pretty good!

My go to is Grilled Cheese and Tomato.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
9/15/15 6:30 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
Jerry wrote: I did not expect 53 replies. I bet I know what most of you are having for dinner tonight.
I'm having steak. Did you guess that?

Did you read the how to cook a steak thread?

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
9/15/15 6:56 p.m.

1/2 stick of butter and 14 seconds in the microwave gets you soft butter. If any of it actually melted just mash it all up with a fork.

Preheat electric griddle to 350.

Butter one side of a slice of bread. That 1/2 stick is good for @18 slices, 2/3 of a standard loaf.

Buy real cheese. Don't even bring home something labeled as "cheese food." Sharp or stiff cheeses melt badly, American was made for melting. Each sandwich gets one slice of American and one of something else. Land-o-Lakes makes a block American cheese that is almost exactly like the old government commodity cheese the poorest of us remember from our childhood.

Lay two slices of bread on the griddle, butter side down. Place cheese on top of each. Cook 30-45 seconds and rotate each piece because no griddle heats evenly. As soon as either slice of cheese starts to melt, flip the sandwich together and continue cooking to your desired browning level, flipping as required.

Cut the sandwiches diagonally while on the griddle and transfer to a plate. Before you pull the next batch off the griddle flip the first ones to keep the bottom slice of bread from getting soggy.

I like thick tomato soup for dipping, but my little brother likes grape jelly inside his.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
9/15/15 6:58 p.m.

3 pages of responses and no has mentioned bacon.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
9/15/15 7:24 p.m.
Wally wrote:
KyAllroad wrote: Grilled peanut butter sounds pretty close to what killed Elvis.
If it kills me I hope one of you shows up at my wake, hugs my wife and tells her I died doing what I love.

BTW, I'm planning on going out like Elvis: Massive myocardial infarct after taking a large E36 M3. Dead before I hit the floor.

There's a bacon response up there somewhere, Q.

For the American cheese, get the good stuff that's in a solid block, not the stuff that's individually wrapped. Another cheese with it is good also. Yeah, I sometimes put a pot lid over the sammy to melt the cheese.

Oh, here's a good one. We call it "Grilled Cheese Surprise." Put your morning's left over hash browns in with the cheese. I gave my hash brown how-to years ago. You bookmarked it, right?

Enyar
Enyar Dork
9/15/15 7:29 p.m.
Type Q wrote: 3 pages of responses and no has mentioned bacon.

CHORIZO!

wae wrote: I've got an old school (60s?) Waffle iron that has reversible plates on it - waffle pattern on one side, smooth on the other. I like to do the grilled cheese on the smooth plates so it fries both sides at once.

Pics?

Wally
9/15/15 7:40 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess:

I'm thankful most of the men in my family go quickly either through massive heart attacks or violence.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
9/15/15 7:42 p.m.

Sorry, that bland, waxy, orange dyed stuff called "American cheese" isn't going to cut it.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
9/15/15 7:57 p.m.

Just made dinner. Used a campbels can with 1% milk, a little bacon, garlic, fresh cherry tomates, home made crushed red pepper, and fresh basil. I made the grilled cheese with colby and munster, fresh plum tomates, and crispy bacon. Butter and EVOO in the pan and that made a crispy and not soggy sandwich. I covered the pan with no pressing.

Will
Will SuperDork
9/15/15 9:43 p.m.
KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
9/15/15 10:39 p.m.

Simple grilled cheese tonight. Wheat berry bread, ham, cheddar, and slabs of garden fresh tomato.

Going on the suggestions here I tried the purely terrible idea of melting the butter in the skillet and dropping the bread onto it. Won't do that again. Otherwise it was tasty.

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
9/16/15 1:48 a.m.

To make a grilled cheese, you need:

• whatever cheese you have
  • whatever bread you have
  • whatever oil/fat you have

Grilled cheese is an opportunist's meal. Don't even have bread? Make a quesadilla.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
9/16/15 6:58 a.m.

that's how I make my #1 grilled cheese sandwich … and I use whatever cheese I have … from cheddar to colby to swiss … etc … I even use velvetta … love it …

oh, forgot … I use whole wheat bread and love it … haven't eaten Wonder Bread since grade school … late 50's/early 60's

I put one pat of butter in the frying pan and as it sizzles I put the sandwich (pilled high with cheese and bacon) centered on the spreading butter …(med heat, sometimes a bit lower … if I'm wanting really good melting) after a little bit I'll flip the sandwich (if I've done it too soon, I'll just flip it back) finish the second side the same way

edit: forgot to mention .. I do use a press … seems to hold every thing together better

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
9/16/15 7:03 a.m.
gearheadmb wrote: Foreman grill always made a perfect grilled cheese for me.

+1 (or whatever since I'm still on the 1st page)

A Foreman grill is nice for a lot of quick and easy cooking. The ex- and I made many a grilled cheese sandwich on hers. We used a white American cheese purchased as a 12" long block (pre-sliced, but not wrapped) from Sam's Club. Usually some kind of wheat bread.

Another reasonably healthy meal is chicken tenderloins, cooked on the Foreman and then cut up on a salad.

edit: I can feel my arteries hardening while reading many of the other responses...

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
9/16/15 8:05 a.m.

The place we were holding our SCCA meetings had something called an Uptown Grilled Cheese. Double decker, 3-4-5 different cheeses, tomato and bacon. Add fries and a bottled root beer? Yup, if we had repeat waitresses they would just ask if I wanted the usual.

G. P. Snorklewacker
G. P. Snorklewacker MegaDork
9/16/15 8:20 a.m.

I mentioned both bacon and avocados on page 1. Also olive oil > butter.

Wally
9/16/15 7:44 p.m.
Wally wrote:

I picked up some thick white bread, butter, a jar of Skippyand a Hershey bar so if I don't wake up in the morning remember I liked several of you.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ahvxCkBWwmDydigF7G6Tbg4sSVTEd3oxDdkTexcrldtjoVAXoPtLIfFoE31IJ25t