1 2 3 4 5
84FSP
84FSP HalfDork
9/17/15 12:19 p.m.

So my personal favorite involves glazed Krispy Creme donuts... Slide in half longways, butter newly discovered donut surface and place butter down in a med-high heat pan of your choice. Apply one slide of colby and cap with the remaining donut half. The sugar carmelizes and turns into a crispy cheesy mess. Enjoy.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
9/17/15 12:36 p.m.
Wally wrote:
Wally wrote:
KyAllroad wrote: Grilled peanut butter sounds pretty close to what killed Elvis.
If it kills me I hope one of you shows up at my wake, hugs my wife and tells her I died doing what I love.
I picked up some thick white bread, butter, a jar of Skippyand a Hershey bar so if I don't wake up in the morning remember I liked several of you.

Anyone heard from Wally yet today?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/17/15 1:07 p.m.
Wally wrote:
KyAllroad wrote: Grilled peanut butter sounds pretty close to what killed Elvis.
If it kills me I hope one of you shows up at my wake, hugs my wife and tells her I died doing what I love.

You'd never believe it, but a grilled sandwich with peanut butter and some crispy (but not burnt) bacon is pretty damn righteous.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/15 1:31 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad:

It took a good punch to the chest to the grease pumping this morning but I'm here. Just very busy at work this morning.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/17/15 1:34 p.m.

My trick is a good loaf of "fancy" bread, something with a lot of holes in it so the cheese can melt through and get crisped, olive oil (or bacon grease if you are feeling really un-healthy) on the bread, and Tillamook extra sharp white cheddar.

Should look something like this when done:

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/15 2:11 p.m.

Wondering how you spend 4 pages talking about cheese and bread.

Good and grilled cheese should never be used in the same sentence. It ranks right up there with military intelligence.

This is only good way to do cheese and bread.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/17/15 2:39 p.m.

I loves me some pizza, but you're just wrong about grilled cheese. It's like steak vs. spare ribs - same basic ingredients; different form factor. One is not inherently "better" or "worse" than the other.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/15 2:51 p.m.

I'm not a huge grilled cheese fan either but without this thread I never would have learned about grilled peanut butter.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/17/15 4:39 p.m.
Jerry wrote: Teach me the secrets to a good grilled cheese sandwich!

Make two slices of toast, slap a couple pieces of cheese in between the toast as soon as it pops, then lay the toast over the toaster to catch residual heat.

It's awesome because it takes no effort and the end result is still cheese on toast.

Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock
Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock PowerDork
9/17/15 4:42 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

That would be the wrong way to do it.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
9/17/15 7:26 p.m.
Wally wrote: In reply to KyAllroad: It took a good punch to the chest to the grease pumping this morning but I'm here. Just very busy at work this morning.

"Just working the turkey through!"

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/15 7:53 a.m.

My wife makes amazing Grilled Cheese in a skillet on the stove. I can't do it to save my life. My savior is the Griddler by Cuisenart. I use thick, crusty bread and 3 kinds of cheese, slip some really thin green apple slices in there and this thing does the rest. Amazing every time. (I sometime go for mascarpone with a cranberry chutney with crushed walnuts, or black forest ham with mustard and gruyere...)

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
9/18/15 4:57 p.m.

Can confirm grilled peanut butter sandwich is good.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds HalfDork
9/19/15 7:08 p.m.

If you have Costco, get a loaf of their rosemary bread and use Havarti.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/20/15 3:11 p.m.

You'll get the hang of grilling. I use any skillet. Cast iron is a bit nicer for heat transfer, but non-stick works nicely in case you have cheese oozing.

My standard grilled cheese involves good wheat bread (preference), butter on the outsides. For an everyday GC, I'll slice some good medium cheddar and a slice of good American cheese for glue and salty creaminess. The primary flavor is the cheddar, but the American melts easily and holds things together.

Experiment with different cheeses. At a bar where I worked I used to make Brie and swiss GCs that were pretty good. Add a thin slice of tomato, or bacon, sliced tuna steak, black pepper, onion, garlic, whatever, but keep it thin so you don't have trouble getting the heat through it.

Along those lines, I tend to use medium low heat. In your case it might prevent burning, but it also allows more time for the heat to get to the cheese. If the pan is too hot, the bread toasts before the cheese melts.

This summer I was out of butter so I used bacon grease instead. Mighty fine.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
9/20/15 6:36 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: You'll get the hang of grilling. I use any skillet. Cast iron is a bit nicer for heat transfer, but non-stick works nicely in case you have cheese oozing. My standard grilled cheese involves good wheat bread (preference), butter on the outsides. For an everyday GC, I'll slice some good medium cheddar and a slice of good American cheese for glue and salty creaminess. The primary flavor is the cheddar, but the American melts easily and holds things together. Experiment with different cheeses. At a bar where I worked I used to make Brie and swiss GCs that were pretty good. Add a thin slice of tomato, or bacon, sliced tuna steak, black pepper, onion, garlic, whatever, but keep it thin so you don't have trouble getting the heat through it. Along those lines, I tend to use medium low heat. In your case it might prevent burning, but it also allows more time for the heat to get to the cheese. If the pan is too hot, the bread toasts before the cheese melts. This summer I was out of butter so I used bacon grease instead. Mighty fine.

this

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/11/24 9:51 a.m.

It's a miracle that most of you are still alive.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vegan-diet-benefits#lose-excess-weight

Disclaimer:  I am not a vegan.  I am a troublemaker.  laugh

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
6/11/24 10:19 a.m.

The vegan diet will also help you lose your excess will to live.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/11/24 11:56 a.m.

In an effort to get back on topic, my teenage son frequently makes grilled cheese on his little George Foreman grille/folding griddle/whatever that thing is.  He says it's perfect for making grilled cheese sammiches.  Kinda makes sense, as it has heat simultaneously on both sides.  Did I mention it's quick, also?

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/24 12:00 p.m.

The best grilled cheese has a hamburger patty and bacon on it. I'll take mine medium rare, please. 

Bacon Cheese Burger

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/11/24 12:12 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

In an effort to get back on topic, my teenage son frequently makes grilled cheese on his little George Foreman grille/folding griddle/whatever that thing is.  He says it's perfect for making grilled cheese sammiches.  Kinda makes sense, as it has heat simultaneously on both sides.  Did I mention it's quick, also?

I use my George Foreman grill for grilled cheese often. Partly justifies the space it takes up on the counter.  I find a small pad of butter on the grill-sides of the bread adds a nice flavor.  I do have to be careful about not using too much cheese or it'll melt out all over the griddle surface which can make cleaning a bit more annoying. Or I just remember to watch it better so that I get it off the grill before it gets to that point.  It does pay to make sure you get the grill hot before putting the sandwich on it. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/11/24 12:32 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:
1988RedT2 said:

I use my George Foreman grill for grilled cheese often. Partly justifies the space it takes up on the counter.  I find a small pad of butter on the grill-sides of the bread adds a nice flavor.  I do have to be careful about not using too much cheese or it'll melt out all over the griddle surface which can make cleaning a bit more annoying. Or I just remember to watch it better so that I get it off the grill before it gets to that point.  It does pay to make sure you get the grill hot before putting the sandwich on it. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/11/24 1:00 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Well, that was surely annoying.  Typical of the thought process of so many misguided souls today.

The beauty of the George Foreman grille is that you can buy the base model for 20 stinking dollars, which doesn't buy much these days.  It's simple, it works.  Does it get hot?  Damn right!  Can it burn you?  Hell yeah.  And remember to unplug it when you're done.

It's a beautiful thing, but not everyone is going to see it that way.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/11/24 1:25 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Its my best friend at the office ... but damn it could've gotten an on/off switch or an attached drip tray ...

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/11/24 1:33 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Well, sure.  But then it would cost more.  laugh

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wnCc14YxcOCXghAs2TRUOqznhi6BfS3mQTDwngAIaJy1VFRqdeoD52au5TGKWwes