gamby
gamby SuperDork
12/17/10 6:04 p.m.

This is a great crusade with a helluva windshield banner:

http://www.leftlanedrivers.org/

RoosterSauce
RoosterSauce Reader
12/17/10 6:15 p.m.

While I appreciate the intent, if flashing lights and obscenely loud horns don't do it, an arrow wont, either.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/17/10 7:31 p.m.

Nothing works like a pit maneuver.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/17/10 7:44 p.m.

I like that they even do a Canadian version .

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
12/17/10 9:37 p.m.

I know a guy with one of those on his car, kind of an shiny happy person. Its a good fit.

RoosterSauce
RoosterSauce Reader
12/17/10 9:56 p.m.

My favourite is when I finally give up and pass the left lane hog on the right, when I look in the rearview, I see they have magically moved into the right lane. It's like the whole time they were doing it just to taunt me.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy HalfDork
12/17/10 10:35 p.m.
RoosterSauce wrote: My favourite is when I finally give up and pass the left lane hog on the right, when I look in the rearview, I see they have magically moved into the right lane. It's like the whole time they were doing it just to taunt me.

Nah, they just didn't have a clue that you were there.

RoosterSauce
RoosterSauce Reader
12/17/10 10:59 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote:
RoosterSauce wrote: My favourite is when I finally give up and pass the left lane hog on the right, when I look in the rearview, I see they have magically moved into the right lane. It's like the whole time they were doing it just to taunt me.

I know, but.... gosh. I used to flash my lights, making sure I move left so they shine right in their side mirror... NEVER worked for me. I gives up on it. Now I just default to passing on the right, even if it is illegal. It's not worth caring about it. I just... had to stop caring, because otherwise I get the RAEG.

jefmed2
jefmed2 New Reader
12/17/10 11:11 p.m.

Around these parts i get the people that will not pull over, then when you go to pass on the right they speed up to not let you pass. your stuck behind them for 5 miles at 60 but you have to do 95 to go around

YaNi
YaNi Reader
12/17/10 11:11 p.m.

This is a great idea, but I think we've overestimated Toyota drivers. You really think they can read?

jefmed2 wrote: Around these parts i get the people that will not pull over, then when you go to pass on the right they speed up to not let you pass. your stuck behind them for 5 miles at 60 but you have to do 95 to go around

You're going about this all wrong. If you only increased your cruising speed you could just zip on by these clods. Also using the air clap or the thumbs up is much more effective (and creative) than using the finger. They drive beige Toyota Corolla's because they're bland people; they get the finger probably 20 times a day. Spice things up for them.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
12/17/10 11:15 p.m.

To get the left lane back we must first give the right lane back to those who wish to maintain a steady speed at approximately the speed limit for miles on end with no hassle. I would support a "Learn to Merge" campaign in a heartbeat.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
12/18/10 11:05 a.m.

I so want one of those stickers!!

Edit: gotta find a bike version

turbo2256
turbo2256 New Reader
12/18/10 11:14 a.m.

I have mulled over this issue for some time. It has been an issue for ever. My thoughts are that it seemed to increase by the square when over the road trucks speed limits were reduced. 55 for trucks 65 or 70 for cars. This move initself seemed lame to me. Would it be safe to run Indy cars on the same track at the same time as P class SCCA cars?

wbjones
wbjones Dork
12/18/10 11:31 a.m.
RoosterSauce wrote: NEVER worked for me. I gives up on it. Now I just default to passing on the right, even if it is illegal.

thank goodness here in NC it's not illegal to pass on the right (I asked while getting my license renewed several yrs ago)

so I do same as you, don't even wait for the left lane hog to notice me and move over, as I approach them I just slide to the right lane and pull back to the left after I'm by.... more often than not the oblivious hog then reacts and moves to the right lane

gjz30075
gjz30075 Reader
12/18/10 11:34 a.m.
RoosterSauce wrote:
Streetwiseguy wrote:
I gives up on it. Now I just default to passing on the right, even if it is illegal. It's not worth caring about it. I just... had to stop caring, because otherwise I get the RAEG.

Bingo, on the last statement. It just doesn't bother me anymore. That's what steering wheels are for. I paid for the whole road, I'm going to use the whole road. Just move on.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
12/18/10 1:07 p.m.

So if there's a speed limit, why can't everyone go it?

Seems simple to me.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy HalfDork
12/18/10 1:25 p.m.
Twin_Cam wrote: So if there's a speed limit, why can't everyone go it? Seems simple to me.

Because friction is a magical thing, and if you get to close to the speed limit your car could also do magical things like SPIN!, ROLL!, RUN INTO ANOTHER CAR, all by itself and not due to user error...

Even when we have 3 feet of snow on the road, glare ice, etc, I still do 10 over the limit. Tires these days are an amazing thing.

integraguy
integraguy Dork
12/18/10 3:53 p.m.

I do find it comical that folks "rationalize" hanging in the left lane at the speed limit by saying they are only obeying the law....the speed limit law. They can't understand how dangerous it is to them and you when you are forced to pass them on the (what is/was) illegal side. But hey, I've started noticing that when folks back out of a parking space, they look only over their right shoulder...NEVER both shoulders, they just throw the transmission in reverse and start backing up, occasionally looking over their right shoulder. Folks can't get it into their heads, cars CAN pass on both sides.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
12/18/10 6:09 p.m.
Twin_Cam wrote: So if there's a speed limit, why can't everyone go it? Seems simple to me.

Because people can't see the sign is not one of the yellow "recommended" speed signs

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy HalfDork
12/18/10 9:22 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: To get the left lane back we must first give the right lane back to those who wish to maintain a steady speed at approximately the speed limit for miles on end with no hassle. I would support a "Learn to Merge" campaign in a heartbeat.

I'm on your team for this one. Terrified mergers are something I deal with every single day.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/18/10 10:06 p.m.

terrified mergers.. you must be in PA. Once upon a time, they had no merge there. You had to come to a complete stop before entering a freeway. I think that changed 50 years ago.. but people STILL do it.

Really annoying when you are from NJ and used to accelerating like a bat our of hell on the onramp and neatly slipping your car into a slot not much bigger than it

Smack35
Smack35 Reader
12/18/10 10:49 p.m.

Before I got pulled over I would consistently do 10-20 over on highways, It's bad enough drivers don't see a red E36 so I would normally flash the lights once or twice, then move over into the middle lane, pass, the move over in the left lane again in front of the slow driver. I wouldn't get too mad, I understand that people aren't aware as the should be. What really pisses me off is two people going the same speed in lanes next to each other. If I hadn't started driving like a grandma, I'd probably get one of these.

Steven

donalson
donalson SuperDork
12/18/10 11:00 p.m.

grr... the mergers upset me more then the left lane cruizers... was comming up to a merg (on a HW not interstate) that has a nice LONG merge lane... you can see how open (or not) traffic is and can get in the appropriate position to merge in nicely... I speed up and find my spot... then see an idiot STOPPED in the merge lane...

in FL it's legal to use right lane to pass as long as it's 2 lanes going the same direction... we have a lot of divided HW's with turns all over the place with no turn lane... if someone is turning left they seem to stay in that lane for the 2-3 miles till they get to their turn (and in rush hr here it's almost necessary because people won't let you over 1/2 the time)... so its all about cruising in the side of the road with fewer people turning off (and what is it with people thinking they need to STOP the car in the road before they make a turn?

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/19/10 1:49 a.m.

Traffic laws are written to the lowest common denominator.

In regards to terrified mergers: After being married to my wife, I've come to realize that some people just don't have the ability to estimate speed and distance all that well. My wife can drive just fine and has never been in an accident out on the road. However, I merge into traffic that makes her squeek with fear. She also refuses to drive through NYC when we visit my family in New England due to what she calls "the speeding insanity that is our route through that hellhole."

donalson
donalson SuperDork
12/19/10 9:13 a.m.

...perhaps the fear of merging into traffic is why we don't have round-a-bouts in the states...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YqlOgccxIW5s6lke2yzKBishuWHD5pToWv15iipJuekrJfhLPdZm6lQgRyIka7X2