1 2
914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/1/24 9:26 a.m.

Hot Dog Charlie's burned down yesterday.   I went there with my Dad in the 1960s, he went there with his father in the 1940s.   They called it the hairy arm.  Charlie was Armenian and used to line up 6 or 8 little 3" steamed rolls on his forearm, drop in little hot dogs, some of his infamous greasy meat sauce, a whip of yellow mustard applied with a wooden paddle and topped with diced white onion.  He would hold his hand over a cardboard tray, push on the last dog and pull his arm back, they dropped neatly in a row on the tray.  Of course with fries, but I prefer his onion rings.

In high school my brother and I put an engine in a Corvair he blew up trying to drag race.  I walked two blocks to Charlie's, got two dozen dogs and some rings.   Leaning over the fender of the '66 Corvair, I enjoyed them things for hours!

They will rebuild.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
2/1/24 10:01 a.m.

I am sorry for your loss.  I love little old places like this.  Reminds me of Hot Dog Johnny's on Rte. 46 in Buttzville, NJ, a place I rode past quite frequently as a child, and now as an old guy with kids have been lucky enough to have a few nice lunches there.

https://hotdogjohnny.com/store/

https://hotdogjohnny.com/store/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/10590614043_0a9d893990_b.jpg

The important thing is that they will rebuild!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/24 10:03 a.m.

mmmmm, the Coney dog.  Lafayette is my local favorite.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/24 10:06 a.m.

I'm pretty sure every decent-sized town has a dog stand like that. They really can't be equaled.

Jack's Cosmic Dogs in Mount Pleasant has landed a new owner | Real Estate |  postandcourier.com

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/24 11:18 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

That's sad. I used to love going there after a morning of fishing below the dam.

At least there are other locations which are still open.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/1/24 12:25 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

I miss Jacks Cosmic Dogs..   We have https://www.dogparkgourmethotdogs.com/.. but it's not the same.  The Cosmic Dogs mustard was a fave...

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/1/24 12:51 p.m.

Sorry to hear that.  It is sad when that happens to a landmark.

In Pasadena Maryland we have Ann's Dari Creme, it has been there forever.  (73 years)

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/1/24 1:06 p.m.

Semi-local place, been around for over 80 years along one of the oldest main highways in the area:

They had a fire about 10-15 years ago and lost a little of that greasy spoon atmosphere when they rebuilt.  Still good, though.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/1/24 1:53 p.m.

Reminds me of years ago when my favorite little hole in the wall BBQ burned down in west Tulsa. They did not rebuild. Haven't found a BBQ place I like as much in the 14+ years since it happened. 

They reopened in another location, but it wasn't the same. That location closed within 18 months. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/24 6:33 p.m.

Growing up in Carlisle, Hamilton had the Hotchie Dog.  Here in Harrisburg, we have Jimmy the Hot Dog King.  Down at the farm near Clarksburg we have Ritzie Lunch and used to have Service Dogs, but it went out of business when I was a kid.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
2/1/24 6:42 p.m.

Mel's Hot Dogs is the last remaining building from the WWII air base that was on the lands that my Alma Mater was eventually built upon.

Pretty good dogs.

nighttime .JPG

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD Reader
2/1/24 6:54 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

My daughter always wanted a ride in that beetle when she was younger. 

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD Reader
2/1/24 6:55 p.m.
Duke said:

Semi-local place, been around for over 80 years along one of the oldest main highways in the area:

They had a fire about 10-15 years ago and lost a little of that greasy spoon atmosphere when they rebuilt.  Still good, though.

I'm from Florida and even I know about Jimmy John's lol.  Put quarters in to watch the trains while you eat your dog and cheese fries.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/1/24 7:28 p.m.

Have you ever noticed that National Chain Fast Food embraced the Hamburger but the Hot Dog has remained a local/regional thing avoided by the National Chains?  

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
2/1/24 7:38 p.m.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
2/1/24 7:44 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Have you ever noticed that National Chain Fast Food embraced the Hamburger but the Hot Dog has remained a local/regional thing avoided by the National Chains?  

The only chain 0ne I know of is Wienerschnitzel with @350 locations, mostly west coast though. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/1/24 10:56 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Five Guys has hot dogs. Pretty decent ones, too. But your point is well taken.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
2/1/24 11:59 p.m.

I wonder if there was any trademark issue with the national Jimmy John's sandwich chain when they showed up in the 1980s.

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
2/2/24 8:18 a.m.

Chicago has some of the most famous hot dog stands out there.  Being the home of vienna beef has its privileges...

Gene and Judes is probably the most famous and has been voted the best hot dog in america (self-acclaimed) 

The rumor was the place would be so greasy that they would pour salt on the ground to give the workers traction throughout the day behind the counter.  

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/24 8:22 a.m.
Duke said:
John Welsh said:

Five Guys has hot dogs. Pretty decent ones, too. But your point is well taken.

Sonic has hot dogs as well. I've never had one but my youngest loves them. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/2/24 8:39 a.m.

Sonic does have hotdogs and corn dogs too. 

Probably the largest "National seller" of prepared hotdogs is Sam's Club at 599 US locations at the food court.  Similar to Costco who has 108 US locations.

Where as Sonic has hotdogs, the hotdog is not the center point of the business.  I think I would say that beverages are the centerpoint of the Sonic product offering and the hotdog is complimentary to that.   Above, Weineshnitzel, does have the hotdog as the centerpoint of its product offering.  

I would also argue that for the food stand only, the centerpoint of the Sam's/Costco product offering are hotdogs.  Maybe hotdogs and pizza but I still think they lead with the hotdog and put the pizza in second place.  

Wow, I had no idea that Sonic has 3,540 locations!  
Texas, with 949 restaurants, which is about 27% of all Sonicdrivein restaurants in the US

Okay, even as a compliment to the core, 3,540 locations probably makes Sonic the largest prepared hotdog seller!

golfduke
golfduke Dork
2/2/24 8:48 a.m.

This thread is just the right parts fun and nostalgic.  In NH, we have Magoo's.  Been a staple since the 40's, their fish and chips is still better than anything I've ever had beachside, anywhere... and I've been some places, man.  

Note at Sonic the normal sized dogs are all beef and the foot longs are not all beef. Definitely taste different and no I'm not trying to start any beef with anyone who likes the footlongs.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/2/24 9:44 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

MMmmm, might have to go get an Ocean Water at lunch. 

Founded in Shawnee, Oklahoma originally as Top Hat Drive In. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/2/24 9:46 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Hot Dog Johnny - I've been there a few times.  A dozen or so years ago, my ex- organized a MINI car club run through a number of hot dog stands in NJ.  Her favorite is the now closed Toby's Cup in Philipsburg.   Hot dogs boiled in peanut oil.  Just spending 5 minutes in the microscopic waiting area had your clothes smelling like oil... Great shakes too...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pEjY4sjtHAICN4YSqV35Tfn6o31OEtIKhcSWrhp6xJBVlPnk7vnthJPOJ2CCouUS