1 2
stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
2/2/24 10:18 a.m.

Peters is an institution in Minnesota, they've been around since 1939.  These days their hot dog stand is only open during the ten days of the Minnesota State Fair, but I believe their dogs are also available at some local grocery stores.  Many years ago they went by Peters Weiners instead of Peters Hot Dogs, and had a radio jingle that went "Peters, Weiners, the Tastiest!"  I don't know when they changed, but I suspect it had to do with generations of teenage boys snickering at the double entendre.  smiley

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/24 10:40 a.m.

Here in southwest PA, the red caboose is still going strong since long before I was born. Hot dogs, kielbasa, fries, maybe onion rings. 10-4 Monday through Saturday, January to October.

Not to be confused with the red caboose motel and restaurant in central PA.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/2/24 10:47 a.m.
stuart in mn said:

I wonder if there was any trademark issue with the national Jimmy John's sandwich chain when they showed up in the 1980s.

I thought they were "Jimmie John's".

On another note, this place is legendary in Delaware.  Fantastic sausage that's deep fried, then grilled.  I'll take mine with cheese whiz, fried eggs, and hot sauce, please:

Sausage sammich plus a side order of Elvis-themed decorations:

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/2/24 10:56 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

But are they the "Hot Dog King" (of PA...)? wink

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/2/24 12:21 p.m.

I've had Chicago Dogs a few times, I don't get it.  Trish is from a small town where NY, VT & Canada meet, Michigans are popular.  Soft roll, steamed dog, meat sauce then mustard and onions.  First time had one was at a bar that had no food license.  For $250 you could get a Michigan and a quart of beer.  Makes for a long night.

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
2/2/24 12:33 p.m.
914Driver said:

I've had Chicago Dogs a few times, I don't get it. 

blasphemy...  the next thing you're going to tell me is that you put Ketchup on a hot dog...   

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/2/24 12:39 p.m.
914Driver said:

Like everything else from Chicago, they are trying too hard.

Mustard, diced raw onions, and a touch of relish are all you need.  If you feel like splurging, chili and/or cheese once in a while.

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
2/2/24 12:48 p.m.
Duke said:
914Driver said:

Mustard, diced raw onions, and a touch of relish are all you need.  If you feel like splurging, chili and cheese once in a while.

sport peppers and tomato is great and once you add those two you're basically a chicago style dog (just add the full pickle, celery salt, and poppyseed bun)

as a life long Chicago Bears fan, trying too hard is NOT in our lexicon ;)

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/24 12:53 p.m.
Duke said:
914Driver said:

Mustard, diced raw onions, and a touch of relish are all you need.  If you feel like splurging, chili and cheese once in a while.

That's good stuff but I usually start with some mayo.

I do like coleslaw or chili on occasion and sauteed mushrooms. Once in a moon, some sauteed peppers and onions and a wrap in naan bread are also very tasty. 

I'm pretty sure there isn't a correct way to eat a hot dog. Just the many varied ways of good. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/24 12:54 p.m.
914Driver said:

Trish is from a small town where NY, VT & Canada meet, Michigans are popular.  Soft roll, steamed dog, meat sauce then mustard and onions.  First time had one was at a bar that had no food license.  For $250 you could get a Michigan and a quart of beer.  Makes for a long night.

Ha!  What you call a Michigan in NY is what we in MI call a Coney. as in Coney Island.  the chili is a little different, but close enough.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/24 1:03 p.m.

Ah, I suppose I should throw out our local dog place.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/2/24 4:31 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

After 30 years of marriage, my MIL finally trusts me enough to share the Michigan recipe.  Difference between Michigans & Coneys is the Michigans have grease and Thyme.

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD Reader
2/2/24 5:06 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

Skrait outta delco

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD Reader
2/2/24 5:08 p.m.
RevRico said:

Here in southwest PA, the red caboose is still going strong since long before I was born. Hot dogs, kielbasa, fries, maybe onion rings. 10-4 Monday through Saturday, January to October.

Not to be confused with the red caboose motel and restaurant in central PA.

That the one in Strasburg?  I've done quite a bit of work in PA and seem to know where everything on the east side of the state is apparently if I'm right with this one.  This will be#3 in PA that familiar with lol

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/2/24 5:16 p.m.

Pittsburgh, PA. We Punks would hang out in across the street from "The O" and pool our money for a large(very) french fries usually with cheese if we had the cash.

It closed shop at 60 years, 4 years after this article:

Opened in 1960 by the Simon brothers, The Original Hot Dog Shop — more commonly known simply as the “O” — is a staple of the Oakland food scene. From the dogs to the famous “O” fries, PM breaks it down.

The number of years the “O” has been in business. The hot dog shop still stands in its original location near the former site of Forbes Field. The shop opened for business in the same year the Pirates beat the Yankees in the World Series. (Coincidence? That’s for you to decide.)

200+
The number of “O” fries in a small order. That’s right — more than 200 in a small.

1.5%
The amount of the average American’s total calorie intake that comes from french fries.

The approximate number of beer varieties available to accompany your dog and fries at the shop, from big-name domestics to imports to local brews.

Sydney & Moe Simon
The brothers who founded the “O.” Sydney lived to age 80, battling three types of cancer along the way — and leaving a legacy on the Oakland landscape.

A Family Affair
The “O” still is family-run today. Sydney’s four children — Terry, Linda, Larry and Bruce — keep their dad’s vision alive.

$3.99
The cost of an Original hot dog. All of the standard fixings — ketchup, sauerkraut, mustard and so on — are free. An extra dollar gets you a slice of melted cheese on top

What's In A Name?
The full name on the sign: Essie’s Original Hot Dog Shop. Essie was Sydney’s beloved wife. Previously, the “O” was known as Original Franks and Burgers.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/24 6:40 p.m.

In reply to RonnieFnD :

Indeed it is. Well like a mile outside Strasburg in Ronks, but close enough. Surprisingly good burger, one of the more fun themed restaurants I've been to. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/24 6:45 p.m.

Skins' hotdogs Anderson, SC.  I remember it being on a Discovery show of the top 10 hotdogs in the country.  I only go to the original location as seen below.

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
2/2/24 7:15 p.m.
prowlerjc said:
ClearWaterMS said:
914Driver said:

blasphemy...  the next thing you're going to tell me is that you put Ketchup on a hot dog...   

Nobody, I mean nobody, puts ketchup on a hot dog.

across the parking lot from Gene and Judes is a McDonalds and they have a sign on the door (no ketshup available to outside customers) as people would go there and ask for ketshup to put on the hot dog and/or fries but Gene and Judes refuses to carry it.  

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
2/2/24 7:57 p.m.

This little gem is located in Natick MA, about 10 miles from chez 11GTCS, Caseys Diner.  It's a tiny little original diner moved to this location in the 1970's.  They steam the buns in the giant copper tank on the stove, check out all the solder repairs!   My late FIL was a frequent customer.

There are a couple of "Olneyville New York System" hot dog places in Providence not far from me.  They do a spiced meat sauce over the dog topped with mustard and raw onions.  I keep meaning to make a reason to head that way to try them out.

I put ketchup on hot dogs. It's delicious. Fight me.

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
2/2/24 8:15 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

I discovered cheese brats (hot dog sized but technically not a hot dog) last summer.  Cooked on the grille and topped with some bbq sauce, dill pickle relish and some mustard on a toasted bun.  Heck yeah!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/2/24 9:57 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

I put ketchup on hot dogs. It's delicious. Fight me.

I won't fight you.

I will, however, make endless fun of you.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/24 1:15 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

Here we are, hours later, without any real shade being thrown.

chief8one
chief8one Reader
2/3/24 5:03 a.m.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/24 10:26 a.m.
John Welsh said:

Have you ever noticed that National Chain Fast Food embraced the Hamburger but the Hot Dog has remained a local/regional thing avoided by the National Chains?  

Rally's does sell chili dogs but as a side item, not a main attraction.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vy2cO4fxS2EHDCPBycGRALvExMXLWi0yLXDZms6XbCJNkLoVu5WF3HQNgafco1yO