1 2
Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/31/22 1:25 p.m.

Almost everything so far has pertained to wood pits. Any thoughts specifically IRT natural gas?

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/31/22 9:00 p.m.

Lots of talk online about repurposing the inner stainless steel drum from a washing machine as a fire pit. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/31/22 9:04 p.m.

In reply to lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) :

That works as long as you put it on something, they're not very well balanced. My neighbor uses a steel rim to sit the drum on. 

I usually just make a circle and build a fire. Doesn't cost anything does a great job. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
11/1/22 5:44 a.m.
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) said:

If I saw this before buying a breeo, I would have saved a good chunk of money. That's a great one. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
11/1/22 11:45 a.m.
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) said:

Huh, I like that! How do you think someone could mix it with say, a little pergola or outdoor seating area?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/1/22 4:12 p.m.

How hot does galvanized metal need to get before it gives off cancerous gasses?  Or is some additional chemical reaction when welding that makes it really dangerous?

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/1/22 7:24 p.m.

I have done it.  In my youth.   Everyone in the sensible world says not to.    Now, I tend to grind the top layer off first.   But, don't listen to me.  It's not healthy.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/1/22 8:37 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

How hot does galvanized metal need to get before it gives off cancerous gasses?  Or is some additional chemical reaction when welding that makes it really dangerous?

At 1742 degrees zinc burns. I'm guessing around there. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/1/22 8:40 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Big difference between outside with wind and an enclosed space, but my galvanized fire ring stayed galvanized exactly one fire, and is now a rust colored ring. 

I'm beginning to think I may have a different definition of bonfire than the people in this thread and the people buying those fancy rings. We've crumbled block, regularly melt glass bottles and beer cans, and have melted through the cheaper "cast iron" pits like they were made from plastic. 

Gary
Gary UberDork
11/1/22 8:55 p.m.

Well, I've been doing chiminea's, campfires, and fire pits in our backyard for over twenty years. I do it for ambience, not heat. If it gets too cold and the fire isn't keeping me warm, I either put on a heavier garment or go inside and light the wood burning fireplace in our living room. Here's a pic from last summer on a nice balmy evening in our back yard. I can say that there was a hullava lot of heat coming off this fire. But the ambient temp was probably in the sixties. The pit was made from simple concrete pink wall stones purchased at HD. They've all cracked because of extreme heat. It's been in place for about ten years and it works for me:

And here's what we do when it's too cold outside for the fire pit. It's the wood burning fireplace in our living room. (Charlie the beagle courtesy of our son):

Sarah Young
Sarah Young Copy & Design Editor
11/15/22 10:43 a.m.

Are you sure you're not Joe Pera? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trfHP5LHVNY

Sarah Young
Sarah Young Copy & Design Editor
11/15/22 10:49 a.m.

We have dinner in my yard every Sunday with about 10 to 15 people, and admittedly our whole setup is about as hodgepodge as you can get. It's been working, but now there's a rust hole in the bottom of the fire pit (a cheap Amazon/Home Depot one). Lotusseven7's solution looks pretty renter-friendly...

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/15/22 11:04 a.m.

I have 3. 

A little 24" smokeless deal that's going on the new porch. 

A 40" ring that came from TSC that has gotten a lot of use. 

The third is a giant area in the back acre that will get 500-600lbs of wood twice a year and light up the sky for miles. 

I am that neighbor. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
La0qLyMKOMnKQziKreX5VvkjMcK0DFhh5VsoWj1m11Cdet2rk2w8XLsafBqJFp9c