1 2
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/9/24 5:22 p.m.

In the shower, I have a face exfoliant gel, charcoal face wash, and body wash. Since I really started thinning out on top a few years ago, I just keep my beard and hair around the same length with trimmers, and just the face wash where my hair is as well. 

Outside is moisturizer with SPF in it. Antibiotic eye gel for my constant flare ups of blepharitis, antihistamine eye drops (twice a day), and steroid eye drops to go with the gel when I get a flare up. 

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/9/24 11:35 p.m.

As much as they like, and don't try to argue against it.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/10/24 6:35 a.m.
Turbo_Rev said:

This has replaced everything in my bathroom, except for shampoo:

Made in Rochester, MN; the company was started by a couple former Mayo Clinic employees.  If you have dry or cracked skin they make an excellent lotion as well.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
4/10/24 8:12 a.m.

I use a 3-pronged attack: 

Body Wash:

Usually this stuff or some type of Old Spice. 

This for the beard/face. Not just a clever name, it's the best beard wash I've used. 

This stuff for what's left on my head. 

Bonus: this stuff goes in the beard after: 

Keeps things from getting itchy and smells like walking through a forest, in a good way. 

Yeah, it's a lot, but my skin sucks. Gotta do what ya gotta do, and this combo does the thing. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
4/10/24 8:31 a.m.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/24 9:40 a.m.

I'm such a woman.  I have long hair, but that's no excuse.

I have two shampoos depending on how frequently I wash my hair.  One is gentle for frequent washing and the other is a little more stout for when I skip washing my hair for keratin building

I have two conditioners as well - one for light conditioning and one for after the heavier shampooing.

I have three body washes - a sandalwood patchouli, some kind of Axe sport scent, and Rosewater depending on my mood and upcoming activities.  I sometimes mix the sandalwood patchouli with the rosewater to layer scents.

I have two body scrubbers, one for exfoliation on most of my body, and another for *ahem* more delicate areas.

Then, of course I have a Chlorhexidine wash which is like the veterinary version of human pre-surgery iodine scrub.  I use that for when I'm doing drain plumbing, replacing a toilet, or at the theater digging around in dark, musty corners with rat poop or mold.

Can't forget the doggie shampoo and conditioner.  

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
4/10/24 9:58 a.m.

I've found that a razor blade is much cheaper than all that beard maintenance gak.

I have long hair so it's shampoo and conditioner in my shower, plus a bar of soap for the rest of me.

If my hair starts thinning, then the razor works for my head too.

ralleah
ralleah PowerDork
4/10/24 12:51 p.m.

*heavy sigh* at this whole thread. cheeky

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/10/24 2:57 p.m.
ShawnG said:

I've found that a razor blade is much cheaper than all that beard maintenance gak.

I have long hair so it's shampoo and conditioner in my shower, plus a bar of soap for the rest of me.

Beards are just makeup for men.

I don't use all the fancy beard stuff, because I keep mine pretty short. It's once they long you have start using all the extra stuff and really scrubbing your skin so you don't look riddled with dandruff.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/24 3:08 p.m.
z31maniac said:
ShawnG said:

I don't use all the fancy beard stuff, because I keep mine pretty short. It's once they long you have start using all the extra stuff and really scrubbing your skin so you don't look riddled with dandruff.

Beards are for people who don't want to shave. I trim mine to about 3/4" every couple of months and let it ride. No maintenance required. It gets soaped along with the rest of me. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
4/10/24 3:19 p.m.
z31maniac said:
ShawnG said:

I've had some sort of facial hair since midway through high school. I'd look odd without it. I don't wanna know what's under there. 

I use the wash and cream to keep it clean and not itchy and flaky. It will get scratchy AF without it and no one wants that. Regular soap and shampoo dries it out. 

And the kicker: I still have to shave. I've tried letting it rip, and I have weird spots that grow that are "out of place" so I just keep it under control with the razor and a good trimmer. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/10/24 3:35 p.m.
Toyman! said:
z31maniac said:
ShawnG said:

Beards are for people who don't want to shave. I trim mine to about 3/4" every couple of months and let it ride. No maintenance required. It gets soaped along with the rest of me. 

For me it's mostly out of laziness and I do look better with a beard since I've gained so much weight since the start of COVID. I don't think I've taken an actual razor to my face in 6.5 years? 

The only time I didn't really have facial hair was in high school........QuikTrip didn't allow mustaches/goatees/beards, and sideburns below the bottom of your ears. And no visible tattoo's. 

Toyman!
4/10/24 3:46 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I let mine grow during COVID times so I could breathe with a mask on. 

Now the wife likes it. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
4/10/24 5:33 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

That's funny. So, what you are saying is that you intentionally disabled the N95s?  Kinda brilliant. 

Toyman!
4/10/24 5:39 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

I did. They would get saturated with sweat and you can't breathe through saturated cloth or paper. A 3/4 air gap let plenty of air in and I still couldn't cough in anyone's face. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
4/10/24 5:51 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

N95s existed long before COVID.  I was trained for years in their use. Particularly when I worked in a chemical plant. No one could be approved for their use with facial hair

(I don't want to start an N95 debate.  Your use was in keeping with how we all used them during COVID)

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/10/24 6:14 p.m.

My wife has her own bathroom.  There's a bunch of stuff in there that I don't understand but I really like the results so I've never investigated.

Spearfishin
Spearfishin Reader
4/10/24 7:45 p.m.

Wife and I lived together in college and she's pretty low maintenance. She had a fork in my shower to use as a comb because she didn't have an actual comb. 

My parents came for a visit and my mom, snooping, I guess, wanted to know about the fork in the shower. Wouldn't accept that it was the wife's comb. Still comes up from time to time, and we're decades removed. 

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
4/10/24 7:56 p.m.

I have 1 bottle in the shower, and lotion outside the shower.  Most girls I have dated have a lot more.  But to be fair they have all have nicer skin than I do, so its hard to complain :)

I love Dr. Bronner's soap, the nutjob rant is a wonderful touch.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
L0NuWDlozA9hgwcoCj8IgtfdaWBSezqHQyqdTAe7gSNPBE5APtsjzAArpb8kAWks