stroker
stroker Dork
4/21/13 4:08 p.m.

If the performance of the stuff this guy is building matches the looks it's really, really neat.

At least it is to me.

http://shuffsparkerizing.com/

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UltraDork
4/21/13 4:35 p.m.

Mag fed Garand combine that with a NM barrel, full C or D setup and I would be a happy monkey.

peter
peter HalfDork
4/21/13 4:48 p.m.
rebelgtp wrote: Mag fed Garand combine that with a NM barrel, full C or D setup and I would be a happy monkey.

Stupid question, as someone who keeps thinking about using CMP to pick up a Garand, but never gets off his duff.

Why modify a Garand to be mag fed, when you can buy an M1A? I guess if I already had a Garand, that might make sense, but I don't. You have to do a .308 conversion, and you're losing a lot of authenticity, so?

Of course, I haven't compared M1A prices to the Garand + conversion...

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
4/21/13 4:53 p.m.

In reply to peter:

Or an M14?

Neat idea, though.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UltraDork
4/21/13 4:57 p.m.

Just to be different.

Hmm now to really do it right make it use AI mags and retain 30-06 cartridge use

peter
peter HalfDork
4/21/13 4:58 p.m.
Ian F wrote: In reply to peter: Or an M14? Neat idea, though.

My understanding was M14 -> military, select fire. M1A -> Springfield's M14 look-alike, semi-auto.

The Garand appeals to me, but as a practical matter, the en-block magazine is a PITA. A mag conversion would be cool, but seems to change the rifle a lot. You know, George Washington's axe et al.

The0retical
The0retical Reader
4/21/13 5:16 p.m.
peter wrote:
rebelgtp wrote: Mag fed Garand combine that with a NM barrel, full C or D setup and I would be a happy monkey.
Why modify a Garand to be mag fed, when you can buy an M1A? I guess if I already had a Garand, that might make sense, but I don't. You have to do a .308 conversion, and you're losing a lot of authenticity, so? Of course, I haven't compared M1A prices to the Garand + conversion...

That's sort of the way I feel too. An M1A will cost you 1200 - 1400 retail, or much less used, if you can find one without the outrageous markups then you won't have to spend Garand money + upgrade money. Plus you can choose your barrel length.

Of course this is coming from a guy with more tied up in an M1A than 2 challenge cars would cost.

Those are awful nice looking rifles though.

stroker
stroker Dork
4/21/13 9:19 p.m.

I love the Mini but I already have a SOCOM 16 so I don't need one.

What I'd REALLY like is a M1A chambered in 260 Remington.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
4/22/13 7:55 a.m.
peter wrote:
Ian F wrote: In reply to peter: Or an M14? Neat idea, though.
My understanding was M14 -> military, select fire. M1A -> Springfield's M14 look-alike, semi-auto.

Got it. When I first looked at the site in was from my phone and a lot of it didn't show up. Looking at it on a real computer, the references to the M-14 & M1A are clear.

My gun knowledge and interest is military based. I don't pay much attention to civilian versions, nor do I really care.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
4/22/13 8:58 a.m.

I have seen a magazine fed M-1. It used a magazine from a BAR. It looked really nice and it was pricy.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
4/22/13 9:02 a.m.

Hmmm ... If the 18" versions are called "Tanker Garands", is this a "Personnel Carrier Garand"?

Sort of a shorter BM-59.

I think I'll leave my Garand alone.

1. En-bloc clips don't bother me on that rifle.

2. Long magazines have their place, but they can get in the way when you're cruising through the kudzu.

3. ".30-'06 is never a mistake" - Townsend Whelen.

4. A .308 with a 16.1" barrel might be. It would certainly be loud. I know my 18.5" .308 is.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
4/22/13 9:21 a.m.

TISSUE PLEASE!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VRpOndntAejU5vEQkqK8ecCBcYw0mSghIqa3aqpAd8xt93uapN7S0baoE0ICQq32