1 ... 1466 1467 1468 1469 1470 ... 1735
Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/24 8:26 a.m.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
1/9/24 10:24 a.m.
GPz11 (Forum Supporter) said:

Ok, please explain what's so bad about Ohio? 

Absolutely nothing. It is the most average state in the U.S. Everything is fine. There is nothing especially exciting to recommend it, nor terrible to detract from it.

People like to complain about the weather. It's fine. It's obnoxiously humid in the summer, but not stifling or particularly dangerous. Winters are kinda cold, but more gray than anything else. The worst thing about them is that the people who have lived here their whole lives still don't know how to drive in their own weather which comes as a fresh surprise every year.

I am very happy to live in Columbus, and Cincinnati is arguably even nicer (Cleveland is sort of Detroit-lite). It's 85% of the good things you get in a big hip city like Chicago, NYC, DC, L.A., Portland, etc., but only about 20% of the problems, and houses cost between 1/2 and 1/10 of what they would in any of those locations.

Having moved here from California I miss: hills and good sushi. That is more than made up for by plentiful water and good housing.

I think people like to make fun of Ohio because it's an easy target where the people from there aren't going to take it personally and fight you for daring to insult their precious state (like TX, CA, or NY).

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
1/9/24 10:26 a.m.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
1/9/24 10:27 a.m.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
1/9/24 11:06 a.m.
Beer Baron said:

Absolutely nothing. It is the most average state in the U.S. Everything is fine. There is nothing especially exciting to recommend it, nor terrible to detract from it.

People like to complain about the weather. It's fine. It's obnoxiously humid in the summer, but not stifling or particularly dangerous. Winters are kinda cold, but more gray than anything else. The worst thing about them is that the people who have lived here their whole lives still don't know how to drive in their own weather which comes as a fresh surprise every year.

I am very happy to live in Columbus, and Cincinnati is arguably even nicer (Cleveland is sort of Detroit-lite). It's 85% of the good things you get in a big hip city like Chicago, NYC, DC, L.A., Portland, etc., but only about 20% of the problems, and houses cost between 1/2 and 1/10 of what they would in any of those locations.

Having moved here from California I miss: hills and good sushi. That is more than made up for by plentiful water and good housing.

I think people like to make fun of Ohio because it's an easy target where the people from there aren't going to take it personally and fight you for daring to insult their precious state (like TX, CA, or NY).

Good description, Ohio is kind of "generic".  Although we do have some geographic diversity with the foothills of the Appalachians in the south/southeast and the lake up north.  The state is not just flat/slightly rolling prairie hills.  

There are a lot of places I would like to retire to that are not Ohio, but each of them has their own issues, that seem to be getting worse, so I may just stick with here, and travel when I get the bug to be out in the desert.

Unrelated meme:

RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter)
RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/9/24 11:14 a.m.
mtn said:

In reply to GPz11 (Forum Supporter) : 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/24 12:50 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

I laughed way too hard at this. 

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/9/24 12:56 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

Hey, that's my local transit service! Our buses aren't that cool anymore.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/9/24 1:00 p.m.

No Time
No Time UltraDork
1/9/24 1:01 p.m.

In reply to Jesse Ransom :

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
1/9/24 1:49 p.m.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
1/9/24 2:12 p.m.
eastsideTim said:
Beer Baron said:

Good description, Ohio is kind of "generic".  Although we do have some geographic diversity with the foothills of the Appalachians in the south/southeast and the lake up north.  The state is not just flat/slightly rolling prairie hills.  

There are a lot of places I would like to retire to that are not Ohio, but each of them has their own issues, that seem to be getting worse, so I may just stick with here, and travel when I get the bug to be out in the desert.

Yeah there isn't much to get excited about in ohio, but I feel like the typical income compared to the cost of living makes it pretty easy for an average guy to make a pretty comfortable life here, at least in my part of the state. 

RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter)
RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/9/24 2:30 p.m.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
1/9/24 11:06 p.m.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/9/24 11:42 p.m.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
1/10/24 6:08 a.m.