Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
1/22/24 8:12 a.m.

Not really.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/24 8:24 a.m.
NickD said:

Turns out unrefined uranium is STUPIDLY cheap. I forget the specifics as it's been a month or two, but some African country is breaking up with France, and part of it expressed the new price difference. From 60 euros/ton to 110 euros/ton. Obviously it needs cleaned and refined to be useable in any sense of the word, but still, stupid cheap.

Edit: ok my numbers were off a bit. Still, $200/kg is insanely cheap to me. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
1/22/24 9:07 a.m.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
1/22/24 9:54 a.m.
NickD said:

Don't get me started on electric stoves. For the entire history of humanity, we've boiled water using fire. Now they want to burn something to make electricity, to send to my house, so I can use it to boil water. It's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of, for reasons too numerous to get into now.  Electric stoves suck.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE UltraDork
1/22/24 10:06 a.m.

Ya'll still freaking out about stoves huh

THE PANOPTICON

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/22/24 10:11 a.m.

What are restaurants going to do?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
1/22/24 10:18 a.m.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE UltraDork
1/22/24 10:20 a.m.

You'll have to prove any of that is happening, let alone has a "bill" that's going to pass. Living in a post-truth society means that anyone can "make" their reality depending on whom they follow and listen to, especially if they're loud enough- and it also means there's no nuance or context. Also, this berkeleyin' food stamp thing? On a forum dedicated to making race cars from what you got you're not gonna think "Maybe it was bought used or repaired on the cheap"? Comon, you're better than that. Here's an actual meme

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/22/24 10:27 a.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

I will not die on this hill, but I do have far too much enthusiasm for it: 

Good/expensive electric/induction > Good electric > good gas > cheap gas >>>>>>>>>>crappy coiled electric. Growing up with good electric stoves I never understood the hate for them until I had one of these travesties in college: 

Now I have had gas for the past 7+ years, but still prefer Moms flat top electrics. They take a little bit of use to figure out the right settings and you cannot get away with cheap pans, but a good electric stove is what I want in my home. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE UltraDork
1/22/24 10:36 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

I have a cheap gas stove and it basically has no "medium" setting. It's low to high. My mom's induction machine basically has perfect control, and the new magnetic induction stoves- while they need specific metal pans- have that AND can't burn you because their heat generation is all from magnetic fields, not fire.

Honestly this screeching is just like when people protested against seat belts in the 80s.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/24 10:41 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

Don't get me started on electric stoves. For the entire history of humanity, we've boiled water using fire. Now they want to burn something to make electricity, to send to my house, so I can use it to boil water. It's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of, for reasons too numerous to get into now.  Electric stoves suck.

I don't see what's so bad or dumb about it. The electricity doesn't have to come from burning something and increasingly does not. And it doesn't seem worse than burning something to pull fossil fuels out of the ground and then burning more stuff to transport it and then using electricity that may have come from burning stuff to refine it and then sending it through a pipeline or trucking supply (that burns more stuff) so you can eventually burn what came out of that whole process.

WARNING: Looking up gas supply chain memes will severely damage your faith in humanity, but I think this diagram from a pro-fossil-fuel website illustrates the problem well enough:

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/24 11:01 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

Having cooked on every type of stove out there, I regret I can only upvote this once. 

A quality gas stovetop is so much better than anything else that it's in a class of its own. Electric stoves suck.

Best of all is a gas top with an electric oven. 

How many times can they do a slightly different version of the same joke? :  r/TheRightCantMeme

1 ... 1483 1484 1485 1486 1487 ... 1737

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6v5toHyD32brvFzfzszJkCH0EXAEnVwOE3zRfqyXUKorTLOhKBE5dZFWAT4qdPVb