Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/29/24 11:45 a.m.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/29/24 11:47 a.m.
Duke said:

Too soon?

No photo description available.

Once again, I turn to the meme thread for breaking news. What happened? Someone went to the moon and failed or something?

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/29/24 11:47 a.m.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/29/24 11:58 a.m.

In reply to P3PPY :

Moon lander Odysseus tipped sideways on lunar surface but 'alive and well'

Feb 23 (Reuters) - The moon lander dubbed Odysseus is "alive and well" but resting on its side a day after its white-knuckle touchdown as the first private spacecraft ever to reach the lunar surface, and the first from the U.S. since 1972, the company behind the vehicle said on Friday.

Houston-based Intuitive Machines (LUNR.O), opens new tab also revealed that human error led to a failure of the spacecraft's laser-based range finders, how engineers detected the glitch by chance hours before landing time, and how they improvised an emergency fix that saved the mission from a probable crash.....

Moon landing confirmed | Star Trek | Know Your Meme

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
2/29/24 12:48 p.m.
P3PPY said:
Duke said:

Too soon?

No photo description available.

Once again, I turn to the meme thread for breaking news. What happened? Someone went to the moon and failed or something?

NASA helped launch a rover to the moon with a private company. It landed on its side and can't right itself.

Required meme:

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
2/29/24 12:50 p.m.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/29/24 12:52 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

WHY WE HAVE TOUCHSCREENS IN CARS:

Why touchscreens suck?

What I see is that you can get to any function without having to look down very much, if at all, and you have tactile feedback if you pressed the button or not.  And no scrolling through three different menus.

RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter)
RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
2/29/24 12:56 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS)

Shame I can't give this more than one thumbs up. 

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
2/29/24 1:02 p.m.

I am very much not a fan of touchscreens for critical car functions but that does not mean "sea of buttons" is a good interface.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
2/29/24 1:11 p.m.

In reply to prodarwin :

Looking at the buttons, a lot of them would be in the door panels (windows and locks) or on the roof (sunroof, rear sunshade).

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/29/24 1:23 p.m.

I gotcha RealMini. 

Touch screens take longer than buttons, too much time away from the windshield; but nobody asked me.  Like no one asked me why Kia turn signals are down near the rear tires.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/29/24 1:58 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

That Mercedes console looks like it's really easy to use once you've used it for 10 minutes. 

Toyman!
2/29/24 2:19 p.m.

Toyman!
2/29/24 2:24 p.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/29/24 3:49 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :  I was 15 when I rolled off the back of a dirt bike going up a hill.  I was wearing an old Captain America helmet; split just like your plate!  Right along the mold lines.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/29/24 3:56 p.m.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/29/24 4:01 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

I once heard about a guy who actually tried this stunt, ended up peeing on his own face...

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/29/24 4:40 p.m.

May be an image of text that says 'jokesby Husband Hack: Next time you're in a fight with your wife, start undressing. She will instantly have a headache and fall asleep. fb.com/4dmddo 4dmddc'

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
2/29/24 7:20 p.m.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
2/29/24 7:26 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
volvoclearinghouse said:

WHY WE HAVE TOUCHSCREENS IN CARS:

Why touchscreens suck?

What I see is that you can get to any function without having to look down very much, if at all, and you have tactile feedback if you pressed the button or not.  And no scrolling through three different menus.

Not disagreeing with you. My point in posting that psuedomeme, however, was that the console in question was hundreds of dollars of switchgear, that could be replaced by a $20 touchscreen. It wasn't done for convenience, it was done for cheapness. 

And yes, a bunch of those functions don't belong there. Seats, windows, locks, etc. 

chandler
chandler MegaDork
2/29/24 7:42 p.m.

The only seat controls there are the rear headrests, footrests and the heated fronts. The power seats are on the doors still. As a serial w124/126 owner I find all of that placement normal now.

Pete. (l33t FS)
2/29/24 7:59 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

Oh, touchscreens are 100% because they are cheaper, not better.

The part that boggles my mind over that Mercedes is that it was pre networking.  All of those switches had discrete wires going everywhere!  And probably most of them did direct high current control instead of telling a module what to do.

I had to debug a mid 80s 928 once.  The amount of work Porsche had to do to try to share functions between multiple systems, without computer networking, was mind boggling.  The wiring diagrams were actually three dimensional.

The neat thing was a lot of it went through 26 big connectors in the passenger footwell, in such a way that you could easily backprobe the circuits that you were concerned with.

I love CAN.  It made it messy to find lighting for the boost gauge, but I love how everything on my Volvo is CAN based so every control panel basically gets power, ground, and CAN, and everything is done via CAN.  Like even the lighting is controlled by CAN instead of having separate wires for the interior illumination.  (Except for the hazard switch, the only illuminated non-networked device, which is where I got the lighting signal for the boost gauge)

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
2/29/24 9:02 p.m.

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
2/29/24 9:16 p.m.

1 ... 1530 1531 1532 1533 1534 ... 1746

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7LgEYVYD3lfhVtO79XoZvnOSNis7zb678lQfVupctlS6gqPlgsifjhPedQmhb5PV