1 ... 415 416 417 418 419 ... 1744
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
1/5/21 2:59 p.m.

As for oldies, yeah it makes me feel old. I listened to a lot of "oldies" stations when I was 10-15, in the late 80s. it was a little doo-wop but mostly sixties and seventies stuff. Great music, some of it. 

I realized not long ago that "smells Like Teen Spirit" is older now than Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock was the first time I heard it. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/5/21 3:06 p.m.

In reply to jgrewe :

I hate his guts. I'd give anything to hear Buddy Holly or Little Richard on terrestrial radio. I'd probably drive my car into a ditch. Or my shopping cart right through the grocery store lobster tank.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/5/21 3:08 p.m.
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) said:

As for oldies, yeah it makes me feel old. I listened to a lot of "oldies" stations when I was 10-15, in the late 80s. it was a little doo-wop but mostly sixties and seventies stuff. Great music, some of it. 

I realized not long ago that "smells Like Teen Spirit" is older now than Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock was the first time I heard it. 

That 70s Show premiered in 1998. The show took place in 1976. 

Today, if we had the same time gap for a show, it would be "That 90s Show" and it would start in 1999.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
1/5/21 3:45 p.m.

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
1/5/21 4:41 p.m.
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Peabody :

To be fair, Billy Idol has to be almost 70 now. Generation X was in the 70's . If he was old enough to be dancing with himself that long ago, he's definitely a classic. 

100%.

It just caught me by surprise.  Just another one of those things that makes you realize how old you really are.

And it looks like he's 65 now

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

There is a chance that my Suburban has a hole in the floorboard right over the fuel tank. 

A 100% chance actually, since I cut it there. 

johndej
johndej Dork
1/5/21 5:17 p.m.

Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) said:

There is a chance that my Suburban has a hole in the floorboard right over the fuel tank. 

A 100% chance actually, since I cut it there. 

When i first saw it, i felt kinda attacked. Then i realized that i am the guy thats cut the floor more times than not!

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/5/21 5:35 p.m.

If I never hear doo wop again I'd be fine. One of the selling points of Radwood is the lack of doo wop, Elvis and The Beach Boys.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
1/5/21 5:36 p.m.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
1/5/21 5:36 p.m.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
1/5/21 5:37 p.m.

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
1/5/21 5:47 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

If I never hear doo wop again I'd be fine. One of the selling points of Radwood is the lack of doo wop, Elvis and The Beach Boys.

I saw the Beach boys twice when I was a kid, and didn't pay for either show. I don't like them any more now than I did then. And I didn't then.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
1/5/21 6:56 p.m.

As the owner of a GMT400 with a fuel-pump-sized access panel sheet-metal screwed into the bed, I represent that monkey.

johndej
johndej Dork
1/5/21 7:06 p.m.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/5/21 7:11 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

Conversely, one of the selling points of doowop (et al) is probably that it doesn't bill itself as a "premier lifestyle event", or charge twenty-five American dollars for a six-dollar trucker hat with their logo on it. To each his own, I guess.

Anyway, a meme. And more or less on topic.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
1/5/21 7:13 p.m.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
1/5/21 7:13 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/5/21 7:48 p.m.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit UltraDork
1/5/21 8:13 p.m.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/5/21 9:36 p.m.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
1/5/21 9:47 p.m.
jgrewe said:

I have a cousin that works in radio as a program director. He has made his living bringing "oldies" stations out of the doo-wop era.  He was working at one somewhere 15 or so years ago and people freaked out when he put early U2 in the rotation.  His answer was, "Their first album came out in 1980, play it or quit."  His ratings record lets him pretty much write his own ticket. He's living in Hawaii now.

When I was growing up, all we used to listen to in dad's truck was doo-wop on the oldies station.  That was back in the 80's.  I miss that music being on terrestrial radio, though thankfully with the internets now I can stream it wherever I want. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/5/21 10:23 p.m.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
1/5/21 10:27 p.m.

RichardNZ
RichardNZ GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/6/21 12:36 a.m.

1 ... 415 416 417 418 419 ... 1744

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners